cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

93 Brave with Chevy 454 acceleration issuea

psalm10720
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 93 Brave 27RC on a Chevy P30 chasis. 112000 miles. When cold idles well and accelerates well from standing still. Then after warmup when accelerating from a start it falters often. Some refer to it as “falling on its face” or “backfiring” without the loud noise. One of the possible explanations refers to the “accelerator pump” on the carburetor. Another which sounds more plausible is the ECM has a problem because the programming during warmup is different than after the engine is warmed up... Anybody with experience?
47 REPLIES 47

Bruce_Brown
There is an obvious communication breakdown here. As has been posted many times, the last year for a carbureted 454 was much earlier than 1993. Without knowing your chassis date or carb model there is no way anyone here will be able to help.

This post is being closed for now. To the OP, please feel free to update your situation after your appointment.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

psalm10720
Explorer
Explorer
As I stated earlier I have an apt to drop the RV off at a Chevy speed shop beginning of April and will post the results when they fix it. I’ve been dealing with this since I bought it March 2014. Will be happy when it is corrected. Runs great otherwise. Just had the floor redone with Luan and Allure vinyl tile from stem to stern and new 15000btu roof air... Really is turning out nice...

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Carb models have a vacuum operated heat riser on the right bank. If this is not opening, it could cause excessive back pressure. It is controlled by a thermal valve mounted on the intake manifold.
My old rig had this problem. It was a 350 engine.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

psalm10720
Explorer
Explorer
Because I have accurately reported what I have

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Why do you not want to post Vin number?
Here is how mine reads without exact vehicle ID.
My 1993 has the vin 1GBKP37N4P3******
The eighth character (N) indicates it is a 7.4 TBI
The tenth character (P) indicates it is a 1993

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

psalm10720
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t know who you people think you are but to make such accusatory and statements as you have shows your attitudes not mine. I asked a ligitmate question and shared honestly about my equipment . I do not know where you get off with your attitudes but I guarantee you the problem is not mine. Every piece of info from me has been truthful. I’m an over the road truck driver on the road a month at a time and not around my rv right now but even if I was I wouldn’t be posting my vin number. I have reported some of your comments to the forum as extremely inappropriate so I suggest you tone your rhetoric toward me down. Any further personal attacks will be reported.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Try buying a rebuilt carb and install it. Or a new Edelbrock carb.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

psalm10720
Explorer
Explorer
Its a real shame you don’t listen to good information that I have already shared

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
The OP doesn't want to provide VIN numbers or other information.
It is a shame that he asks for help and refuses to listen!

I agree. We really would like to help him if we can. With wrong information we are wasting our time as well as his.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The OP doesn't want to provide VIN numbers or other information.
It is a shame that he asks for help and refuses to listen!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Had a thought last night!
If some one changed to carb, it could be that the catalytic converter was overloaded and clogged.

This is a real good point...a clogged cat will choke it until it dies for sure
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
psalm10720 wrote:
I don’t have to prove anything. Someone already posted the info. Get a life

Too bad you have such attitude, and lack of knowledge. Every one else knows that a 93 P32 MH chassis came from the factory with throttle body fuel injection, not a carb. If you really have a carb, then it was installed by you or a previous owner, not the factory. So you did not supply the necessary information for any one to help you. You never even mentioned the supposedly carb brand or model number.
You get a life!

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
A brand new MH can have over a thousand miles on the odometer titled on a chassis that's a few years older than the MH build date.

You may have a 1989/90 chassis on a 1993 RV. The title is always issued on date of manufacture.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

psalm10720
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t have to prove anything. Someone already posted the info. Get a life