cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B&W Companion For short bed

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Have a Grand Design 303RLS on order and am ready to pull the trigger on this hitch. Am getting the pucks installed in my 6.4 box on my new Ram.

Have read the posts on here about it being fine - guess I just need a sanity check before ordering one.

I had thoughts of getting the Anderson since the coupler moves the trailer to the rear 6 or nine inches, can't remember which, but I think I really want the B&W.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
15 REPLIES 15

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
I used the Companion to tow a 31' Alpenlite for years before going to a MH. Loved it! I had the one for the gooseneck and like the fact that it broke down to two pieces for handling when installing or removing. I could handle it by myself easily. Great quality and works flawlessly. I liked it so well, that I have kept it in case I ever go back to a 5th wheel,
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Just came back for the hitch/welding shop where I had the pucks and in-bed plug installed. The wires for it plugged right into the standard bumper mounted plug harness so no splicing needed.

Bunch of good ole boys who did an outstanding job. Bought the part from my local Dodge dealer. B&W slider coming on the 13th! Pictures to follow.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Party crasher here. I have a non slider, rail mounted Patriot and LOVE it. The hitch can also be switched around for more cab/tailgate clearance which I did and like AP said, saw no diff in towing/handling. Only thing it really did was change the amount of weight between steer and rear axles, but not by a whole lot.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just get the B&W then and deal with the small inconvenience when you have to. You will be more than pleased of the QUALITY and ease of use.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Doesn't anyone have a strong kid or friend that can take a couple minutes to help with their hitch??? OR do as MeAgain did with his, add an electric overhead lift in his garage.
My issue is that as a 4X4, my cab wont clear the garage opening, and backing in wont help since the garage door would be in the way.

Pretty much decided on getting the slide for the extra insurance, and will figure out how to deal with the weight. Most of my neighbors are older folks.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Doesn't anyone have a strong kid or friend that can take a couple minutes to help with their hitch??? OR do as MeAgain did with his, add an electric overhead lift in his garage.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Only the original Companion uses the turn over ball single attachment. The newer Companions for the big 3 OEM puck systems are best choice, if your truck has this option.

The Companion slider for Ram OEM pucks is heavy. The base is 230, and the head is 75 lbs.

Jerry
I have the Ram - getting the pucks installed. Does anyone know how heavy the non slider companion weighs? I was leaning toward the slider but I'm not sure I'll be able to handle getting it in and out of the bed.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
JesLookin wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
I have the Companion in a short bed Ram and started out using it in the rear furthest position. I have since moved everything to the front position and feel zero difference.

I've been using ours all the way to the rear for about 20,000 miles. Handles great and I can get to almost 90 degrees. Never back that sharply anyway,so it works great for us. We are nowhere near max as far as toe ratings.

I just moved it to see if I could actually tell any difference. I could not. The only difference I could tell was that I have to be careful hooking up because my tailgate will now hit the front basement. As far as mobility in tight places I've seen no difference. I will move it back to the rear this year.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
I have the Companion in a short bed Ram and started out using it in the rear furthest position. I have since moved everything to the front position and feel zero difference.

I've been using ours all the way to the rear for about 20,000 miles. Handles great and I can get to almost 90 degrees. Never back that sharply anyway,so it works great for us. We are nowhere near max as far as toe ratings.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Only the original Companion uses the turn over ball single attachment. The newer Companions for the big 3 OEM puck systems are best choice, if your truck has this option.

The Companion slider for Ram OEM pucks is heavy. The base is 230, and the head is 75 lbs.

Jerry

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
FireGuard wrote:
I believe the Companion uses the gooseneck ball?
If you need the gooseneck that may be the way to go.
If not, check out the new BW manual slider. Itโ€™s heavy with the base weighing over 200 lbs. but you canโ€™t beat the quality and it mounts easily in the pucks.
A buddy has the Superglide auto slider and although it makes it easy to keep the clearance from self colliding, it can be a pain to hitch and unhitch and you have to pretty much have the truck in line with the trailer to hook up or disconnect.
With the BW you pull the handle and as you drive forward it automatically locks in the rear position and vice versa.
I did look at the Companion slider - didn't know the base weighed over 200 lbs! Looking at the video on ETrailer, it doesn't appear to use the gooseneck. Same video also shows how the slider works.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the Companion uses the gooseneck ball?
If you need the gooseneck that may be the way to go.
If not, check out the new BW manual slider. Itโ€™s heavy with the base weighing over 200 lbs. but you canโ€™t beat the quality and it mounts easily in the pucks.
A buddy has the Superglide auto slider and although it makes it easy to keep the clearance from self colliding, it can be a pain to hitch and unhitch and you have to pretty much have the truck in line with the trailer to hook up or disconnect.
With the BW you pull the handle and as you drive forward it automatically locks in the rear position and vice versa.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
B&W you will never wish you had not.