cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you load in your PUP?

wizards8507
Explorer
Explorer
I just put in an order with the local dealer for a 2018 Jay Sport 10SD and I'm super excited. The trailer hasn't actually finished production yet, so I won't have it for a few weeks at least. In the meantime, I'd like to get my tow vehicle up to snuff. My vehicle as configured has a capacity of 2,000 lbs but I can spend some money and get it up to about 3,500, but I'm wondering if that's necessary.

Realistically, how much do you all stow in your PUPs while you're pulling them? The model I purchased has a dry weight of 1,720 lbs and a GVWR of 2,400. I have absolutely no intention of ever using the 28 gallon water tank, so I'm having trouble thinking of what the heck I could fit in a closed ten foot trailer that would weigh 280 lbs to put me at 2,00 total, let alone the 680 lbs cargo carrying capacity. I'm thinking the only stuff we'll have in there are some buckets, a lantern, matches, a camp axe, sleeping bags, folding chairs, utensils, and paper plates. Am I missing something, or can I be reasonably confident that I'll be able to stay under 2,000 lbs?

FWIW, the "weak point" in my towing configuration is the hitch, which has a 2,000 lbs capacity without WDH and 3,500 lbs capacity with one. I'd like to avoid the cost of a WDH for such a light trailer if I can safely do so.
8 REPLIES 8

Stumps
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your new Jayco! I have owned two Jayco popups and I am brand loyal to them - they make a good product and have exceptional customer service. You cannot go wrong with them.

wizards8507 wrote:
My vehicle as configured has a capacity of 2,000 lbs but I can spend some money and get it up to about 3,500, but I'm wondering if that's necessary.

looks like the 10 maxes out at 2400 pounds. My recommendation is to go ahead and beef up your TV to 3500 tow capacity. Jaycos are well balanced and tow easily -never had any sway or tow issues. However, you can safely assume that even when you are careful in how you pack your camper you will be close to max weight. Remember, dry weight is before the appliances are put in.

Realistically, how much do you all stow in your PUPs while you're pulling them?

I have learned many things while camping, one is that every family camps differently. You first have to ask yourself what's important to you. the Stumps family's popup motto was: Keep it simple. we took what we needed and avoided takinig things we did not need. Here's what we packed:

Popup outfit: We never used the onboard water tank. We also never used the awning, and on the second Jayco we didn't buy it. we use screen rooms over the picnic tables instead.

We kept one of those under-the-bed bins on wheels with our set-up necessities: chocks, leveling blocks, hoses, fittings, camping tools, liquid wrench, duct tape, etc. and camp fire tools. this bin lived in the aisle when you open the small door, so it's the first bin out of the camper at the campground.

in the kitchen area we stored dishware, flatware, kitchen supplies, cleaning supplies, and microwave.

under the dinette we kept dry goods stored for the season, cleaned out in winter. we also had a collapsable laundry hamper, detergent.

So - we kept the camper packed like this all the time. Our routine was on the last day of an outing, we cleaned and repacked before folding up the camper. This way the camper was backed into it's space at home and was ready to go on the next outing.

we kept bedding on the mattresses at all times.

For each trip, all I did was:
pre-chill the fridge and load the fridge with cold foods
throw in clothes bags and pillows in the center aisle prior to departure.

this system allowed us to pack only cooler foods and clothes before departure, and we really didn't use the TV for storage. it also meant that with less than an hour's prep at home we could be on the road. it worked for us.
popups sold. searching for my next camper

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
My pup has bedding, folding dresser, folding kitchen, folding chairs, towels, coffee making gear, larger pots, suspension rod shelving g and minimal supplies.
Front trunk has camping bin(tools, cords, gas) folding shower setup, chocks, leveling wood.
My truck carries cooler, chuck box, canoe, bikes, dry goods bin, kids toys or whatever adult toys.
12 foot pup with front storage and slideout. I can wrangle the pup sideways and not worry about payloads.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
wizards8507 wrote:
Bikes in the popup? How?

You can get a bike rack to mount on the roof of the pup, or TV. I suggest putting it on the TV.
As for every thing else. Think aluminum. Pots, pans, grill stands, stove stands, cooler stands. All can be folding aluminum. Folding tables can be Plastic, or aluminum. For plates, forks, and spoons. Think paper, and plastic.

We came from pups, and every thing we have is compact, and light weight.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

wizards8507
Explorer
Explorer
Bikes in the popup? How?

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
When we had a PUP almost everything went in it. I don't know how far you drive but a full car and two kids will not be fun. Cloth, food, water and bedding weigh more then you think. We also but our bikes in the PUP before we folded if up.

wizards8507
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Well, it's been a while since I've owned a PUP, but my memory is pretty clear how we did it "back then" and why. Here's a list (may not be inclusive) of what I remember we carried.

Clothing for everyone (we had 2 kids, a boy and a girl, Elementary School age).

Cleaning supplies for the camper, like bleach and laundry sopa (also for laundry), Windex, paper towels, cloth rags, bucket, water hose, floor brush or broom.

Personal hygiene items, tooth brushes, tooth paste, bath soap, towels, wash cloths, brushes, combs, shower mats (to use in bath houses since the PUP did not have its own bathroom), deodorants, hair stuff for the wife and daughter and female (things that only girls use), like hair blowers, curlers, clips, pins, lip sticks, perfumes, and the list went on and on and on.

The kids stuff: Toys, Nintendo, a portable television, an inverter so the television and Ninetendo stuff would run off the van battery, magazines, books, dolls, and bicycles.

Adult toys: books, fishing poles, craft items, cameras, maps, radio, flashlights. (this was before the days of lap top computers, wifi, and cell phones)

Camping gear: Propane (Coleman) stove and extra bottles of gas. Paper plates, cups, silverware, folding chairs, cooking utensils, cleaners for the stove, a tripod for cooking over the fire, cast iron skillets, a dutch oven, coffee pot, toaster, a 10x10 foot quick shade, and our tent from our tent camping days that we used for the port-a-potty so we wouldn't have to truck to the bath house in the middle of the night.

Add outdoor mat, awning lights, an electric cooler, ice chest, and tubs full of food. Electric extension cords, radio, binoculars, and ... well... you get the idea.

We never traveled with water for the sink, but we always carried 2 six gallon jugs of water from home.

Add sleeping bags, sheets, pillows, rugs on the floor, 2 kids, 2 adults, 1 dog and 1 cat, 1 rabbit, 1 chicken (yes a chicken), and yes ... we were WAY over 2000 pounds in cargo!

Good luck.

Thanks. We'll certainly bring lots of those things, but we'll have them in the vehicle for the most part, not in the trailer. Since my engine, transmission, etc. are fine at 3,500 lbs already, I think I should be okay. My limiting factor is the hitch itself, so as long as my weight is in the van and not the trailer, I think I'll be okay.

coolmom42 wrote:
It's much easier to clean up from meals using the inside sink, and therefore you will need water, although you don't have to tow with any in the tank. The sink is also good for hand-washing.

Thanks. The campground where we'll do most of our long weekend and quick getaway camping has water electric hookups, so it shouldn't be a problem. Growing up, my parents and I did all of our dishes in an old baby bath tub on the picnic table, and I think we'll continue that "tradition." :B

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
wizards8507 wrote:
I just put in an order with the local dealer for a 2018 Jay Sport 10SD and I'm super excited. The trailer hasn't actually finished production yet, so I won't have it for a few weeks at least. In the meantime, I'd like to get my tow vehicle up to snuff. My vehicle as configured has a capacity of 2,000 lbs but I can spend some money and get it up to about 3,500, but I'm wondering if that's necessary.

Realistically, how much do you all stow in your PUPs while you're pulling them? The model I purchased has a dry weight of 1,720 lbs and a GVWR of 2,400. I have absolutely no intention of ever using the 28 gallon water tank, so I'm having trouble thinking of what the heck I could fit in a closed ten foot trailer that would weigh 280 lbs to put me at 2,00 total, let alone the 680 lbs cargo carrying capacity. I'm thinking the only stuff we'll have in there are some buckets, a lantern, matches, a camp axe, sleeping bags, folding chairs, utensils, and paper plates. Am I missing something, or can I be reasonably confident that I'll be able to stay under 2,000 lbs?

FWIW, the "weak point" in my towing configuration is the hitch, which has a 2,000 lbs capacity without WDH and 3,500 lbs capacity with one. I'd like to avoid the cost of a WDH for such a light trailer if I can safely do so.

You said WE... maybe you should ask the other person involved.

Most people would take clothes and cooking utensils such as pots & pans, towels, personal hygiene items, and food.

It's much easier to clean up from meals using the inside sink, and therefore you will need water, although you don't have to tow with any in the tank. The sink is also good for hand-washing.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it's been a while since I've owned a PUP, but my memory is pretty clear how we did it "back then" and why. Here's a list (may not be inclusive) of what I remember we carried.

Clothing for everyone (we had 2 kids, a boy and a girl, Elementary School age).

Cleaning supplies for the camper, like bleach and laundry sopa (also for laundry), Windex, paper towels, cloth rags, bucket, water hose, floor brush or broom.

Personal hygiene items, tooth brushes, tooth paste, bath soap, towels, wash cloths, brushes, combs, shower mats (to use in bath houses since the PUP did not have its own bathroom), deodorants, hair stuff for the wife and daughter and female (things that only girls use), like hair blowers, curlers, clips, pins, lip sticks, perfumes, and the list went on and on and on.

The kids stuff: Toys, Nintendo, a portable television, an inverter so the television and Ninetendo stuff would run off the van battery, magazines, books, dolls, and bicycles.

Adult toys: books, fishing poles, craft items, cameras, maps, radio, flashlights. (this was before the days of lap top computers, wifi, and cell phones)

Camping gear: Propane (Coleman) stove and extra bottles of gas. Paper plates, cups, silverware, folding chairs, cooking utensils, cleaners for the stove, a tripod for cooking over the fire, cast iron skillets, a dutch oven, coffee pot, toaster, a 10x10 foot quick shade, and our tent from our tent camping days that we used for the port-a-potty so we wouldn't have to truck to the bath house in the middle of the night.

Add outdoor mat, awning lights, an electric cooler, ice chest, and tubs full of food. Electric extension cords, radio, binoculars, and ... well... you get the idea.

We never traveled with water for the sink, but we always carried 2 six gallon jugs of water from home.

Add sleeping bags, sheets, pillows, rugs on the floor, 2 kids, 2 adults, 1 dog and 1 cat, 1 rabbit, 1 chicken (yes a chicken), and yes ... we were WAY over 2000 pounds in cargo!

Good luck.