cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Class C from TT Need Guidance

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
Okay folks, I have been an RV'er since 2010 now on my second TT. I love the TT but have decided I wanted some convenience a MH brings. SO, I just bought and will take delivery of a 2017 Minnie Winnie 31KP next week. I am looking for ideas (successful please)for storage in the closets. Especially in the "trunk area" for storage, shelving, cabinets etc. Also any creative solution for the sewer hose. On the TT I had a 5" inch pvc pipe attached to the rear bumper for the hose and supppose I could do that again. But would appreciate any advice.

I would appreciate any advice on any topic as it relates to how you all handle the MH's. To tow a toad or not. I've heard that some MH folks just rent a "wreck" when they get where they are going. I spent a week in the Mount Rushmore area in September at the big (supposedly the biggest and best) KOA in the country. They had a concierge there where you could rent cars, 4 wheelers, motorcycles etc.

I feel like a fish out of water here so really looking for some advice/guidance.

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
I believe you meant to say FRONT HALF abobve.

Andrew ... kindof right you were!

However, taking into account the long wheelbase of Bob's Aspect, maybe I should have said something like "make sure it's mostly in the MIDDLE HALF of your rig that you do it". 🙂
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

Note that your excellent CCC relative to the size of your Class C is primarily due to the generous improved front axle rating of your current E450 chassis over that of earlier ones. What this means is that as you make use of your high CCC rating ... make sure it's mostly in the REAR HALF of your rig that you do it. 😉

I believe you meant to say FRONT HALF abobve.

(Adding weight in back of the rear axle will unload the front axle and transfer that additional weight to the rear one, as with any lever.)

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winnebago Bob wrote:
Model is 27K but she's a 30'.

2610 pounds CCC.

It's one of the highest CCCs available in a very well-equipped Class C, and we have one of the biggest storage areas available.

I just compared the specs of your 29'5" Aspect on the current E450 chassis to those of our 24'7" non-slide Spirit on it's 2005 E450 chassis.

Our CCC is of course off the charts too, even considering the lesser GVWR of our 2005 E450 chassis .... which is one of the reasons why we wanted a small non-slide Winnebago Class C on the optional E450 chassis.

Note that your excellent CCC relative to the size of your Class C is primarily due to the generous improved front axle rating of your current E450 chassis over that of earlier ones. What this means is that as you make use of your high CCC rating ... make sure it's mostly in the FRONT HALF of your rig that you do it. 😉

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
NWboondocker wrote:
legolas wrote:
WOW, I knew I'd get good stuff thanks to all who took time to give advice. Not to appear to stupid ...just stupid enough.....I understand the definition of "tail swing" but not necessarily the actual working if that makes any sense. Perhaps someone can give me an example. I know it sounds dumb.

The most extreme case is cranking the steering wheel to the stops from a stopped position, then taking off. The back end pivots around the rear axle, leaving the body overhang to swing into whatever is adjacent (gas pump, car in next lane, etc.). You moderate it by starting to turn slowly as you pull away, then turning harder later in the turn once clear of potential obstructions.

If you're of a bit of a mathematical or mechanical bent, it can help your understanding to think a bit about the physics of a vehicle turning. At any given point in time, the motion at the wheels needs to be perpendicular to their axles (or the wheel will be skidding sideways in addition to rolling). This means that the axles all intersect the center point of your turning circle. The outside corner of the rear end of the vehicle (and, I guess, the inside corner too if it's long enough and you can turn sharply enough) will of necessity be at a greater radius from the center than the outside edge of the outside rear wheel.

When translated into practical terms on the ground, this means that the back corner swings further out than the back wheel when making a turn, and if you start off approaching the turn straight with an obstruction next to you on the outside edge, it will swing into the obstruction--something that doesn't intuitively feel right, even though it's physically sound.

This also helps explain why you need to pull further ahead than in a car or pickup before turning to avoid clipping curbs. The key consideration is where the back axle aligns with the center of your turn, but you're seeing things from the perspective of somewhere closer to the front axle, and with a longer vehicle there's a bigger difference between the two.

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
Getting lots of good advice.. Couple things from some one doing the RV thing from 1969.
Look close at the rear of the RV does the rear over hang slope up the the bumper or just stay flat. Rear slope up keeps you from draging getting into drives and service stations.

When you find the rig you like.. If it has slides put them in and see if you can find comfort in the drivers and passengers seats.. can you recline them back enough to be comfortable.. I found one class C we loved but when the slides were in I could not get into the drivers seat because the slide made it lean forward. I am 5'8" , weigh 150 lbs.. Also check to see if you can access the bathroom and kitchen with the slides in..

Hope you find the RV of your dreams..
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

NWboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
legolas wrote:
WOW, I knew I'd get good stuff thanks to all who took time to give advice. Not to appear to stupid ...just stupid enough.....I understand the definition of "tail swing" but not necessarily the actual working if that makes any sense. Perhaps someone can give me an example. I know it sounds dumb.

The most extreme case is cranking the steering wheel to the stops from a stopped position, then taking off. The back end pivots around the rear axle, leaving the body overhang to swing into whatever is adjacent (gas pump, car in next lane, etc.). You moderate it by starting to turn slowly as you pull away, then turning harder later in the turn once clear of potential obstructions.
'13 Coachmen Freelander 26QB

legolas
Explorer
Explorer

S1njin
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago Bob wrote:
S1njin wrote:
Winnebago Bob wrote:
After 15 years and two TTs we moved to a Class C last year. Did about 160 days last season and learned a lot. They are very different animals.

What's your yellow sticker CCC on that rig? 27' - it should be much more favorable then the 32' rigs.

2610 pounds CCC. 🙂

It's one of the highest CCCs available in a very well-equipped Class C, and we have one of the biggest storage areas available.

I hear you - it’s one of the things I love about the rig I’m about to pick up. 3500 pounds !
2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
S1njin wrote:
Winnebago Bob wrote:
After 15 years and two TTs we moved to a Class C last year. Did about 160 days last season and learned a lot. They are very different animals.

What's your yellow sticker CCC on that rig? 27' - it should be much more favorable then the 32' rigs.

2610 pounds CCC. 🙂

2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

S1njin
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago Bob wrote:

2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have only a 24 foot Class C, so we don't need to tow for our travel, sight-seeing, and camping. What we would like to be able to do occasionally, though, is have a rental place bring a Jeep to us for off-road exploring from where we're camping with our Class C. I doubt they rent jeeps and bring them to you ... have you heard of this being available?

For what it's worth, here's a partial list of some of the stuff we always bring along in our 24 foot Class C:

- Digital thermometer inside your RV that shows the outside air temp.
- Voltmeter on the dash going to the house 12V system so that when going down the road you are SURE that both the alternator is charging the house batteries and that your refrigerator is getting the 12V it needs.
- Ammeter somewhere on the wall that shows how much current is going into, or coming out of, your house battery bank at all times.
- Reverse flush system for the grey/black tanks.
- Hookup power adapters for every conceivable campground power receptacle situation/combination.
- Black tank dumping hose extension(s) to provide at least 30 feet of reach.
- Outside 12V receptacle and a long extension cord for it so that when dry camping you can run items such as lights, fan to shoo away the flies, etc. at a picnic table.
- High pressure air compressor in case you ever have a slow tire leak and have/want to make it to the next service location. - As large a tool box as you can fit somewhere and know how to use.
- Spare quart(s) of generator oil and engine oil.
- A portable or built in inverter .... pure sine wave if you can spend the $$.
- A designated junk drawer inside your rig for everything .... repair tape, spare fuses for, spare flashlight batteries, cable ties, glasses repair screwdriver set, spare outside hose inlet protector cap, velcro strips, etc..
- A long freshwater hose to both fill your tank or use for water hookups when the faucet is a long ways away.
- An adapter for the above hose so you can hook it to a drinking fountain for water at primitive campgrounds.
- An pressure reducer for the above hose for hookups so you don't damage your RV's internal plumbing from excessive campground water pressure.
- A set of jumper cables to help other campers and serve as backup for going between your house and chassis battery(ies) in case your boost relay won't engage someday when you need it most because your chassis battery won't start your engine.
- A spare tire with the jack and tools that go with it to change a tire.
- Plenty of leveling blocks for occasional spectacular sites that might require as much as 4-5 inches of lift on each of the four(4) rear duals.
- Cover for the windshield.
- A wall clock that you can see from as many places inside as possible.
- Magazine racks velcro'ed on the wall at one or more locations inside.
- A shovel .... full size if you can figure out where/how to carry it.
- A tree branch trimmer, if possible, for those rare but spectacular camp sites that haven't received enough TLC from the maintenance crew.
- Fishing poles and a tackle box just in case.
- A complete medical kit that you buy or put together yourself.
- An electric heater for when you have hookups.
- A long coax cable for TV hookups at campgrounds that offer it.
- A portable fold up picnic table for up to four to eat at for those ocasional sites that have no table, a bad table, or when you pull into site intentionally "the wrong way" (see "Another consideration" below) thus putting the site table on the wroing side from your awning.
- At least two chairs for the above.
- One or two full blown lounge chairs so you can really kick back on those "it really doesn't get any better than this" occasions.
- Another consideration ..... all my hookups are long enough so we can pull into hookup campsites "the wrong way" where the hookup facilities are on the opposite side of where it's intended they be used. This permits better positioning at certain sites for the view, or for putting your awnings together when traveling with another RV.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of good ideas so far,I keep all my sewer hoses and fittings in a Rubbermaid Tote,this keeps them away from everything so it won't contaminate anything.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
As already stated, be aware of your weights and tail swing ! Sewer hose I can’t help with ( ours has a bin to keep the hose where the sewer hook up is located) . I can’t imagine not having a toad, we pull our Jeep JK that we had previous to the C. Other than that you will really like traveling in the C ! So much more convenient to be motoring down the highway and my wife being able to use the rest room, grab us snacks, drinks, etc. I’m good for about 3 to 3.5 hours before I need a stretch and bathroom break ( wife seems about every 1.5 hrs) so less stopping .

Best of luck with your C and enjoy it !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Relax. It's not that big a change. We had 2 trailers before we switched to a MH and we have always towed a car since having the MH. The biggest thing is that you cannot back up with the MH when towing a car, so look ahead and make sure you can get out before going anywhere.

It's difficult to give specific advice since every MH is different. You will soon find out what works for you. Our MH has a 4" square metal tube that holds 2 lengths of sewer hose. There is a pass thru in the rear that holds many things, including the table top barbecue and many other things. The cab-over area also holds lots of "stuff".

I did install shelves in almost all the cabinets and that increased the amount of "stuff" we could carry.

Hope you enjoy your new motorhome.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory