cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Inverter Install

thetechie01
Explorer
Explorer
So I've been looking and reading on inverters and different installs and such, and I thought I'd share my install!

I decided to get a Pure Sine, and found a great deal on Amazon for a 1500w/3000w peak for $180 and got to work.

I mounted it in my battery box:

Hooked it up and powered it up:

I added a panel mount 120v plug on the side of my battery box to plug in to without having to open the box top:

Plugged in and ready to go!

I decided to go this route rather than getting a hard wired one with all the auto switching, simply because of cost. I just have to make sure I pull the charging fuses in the trailer before hooking up to it. We used it for the first time this weekend at a dry campground and it was awesome. We could go all night with things powered and running and still were at 11.8V in the morning. I then used the inverter generator with a battery charger to charge back up for about an hour, and good to go for the day.

Next up is some solar power so I don't have to take the generator!
Greatest bunkhouse I've ever seen! Elkridge 38RSRT, 2012 F-350
20 REPLIES 20

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Here's my inverter
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Here's my inverter wiring

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
Itโ€™s great having 110 without the gen running.

I would be cautious about hydrogen gas buildup near the inverter.
Also 11.8 volts is getting into battery damage territory.

Ditto.

An inverter should never be mounted were battery gases exist.

My first job was wokring for a major inverter company which later became Xantrex.

Rule 1 was NEVER mount an inverter in the compartment were batteries are

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
As long as the box was properly ventilated, I would still be worried about the corrosive environment vs the "explosive" environment.

Shouldn't be an issue if the OP replaces those aging flooded batts with AGMs as he's indicated is his intention.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
As long as the box was properly ventilated, I would still be worried about the corrosive environment vs the "explosive" environment.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Certainly feeding the entire trailer "whole house" by plugging it's main service cable into the inverter's output can work but after having to go outside in the snow at 3 am to move my cable from the dead campsite post and over to the inverter I decided it was time to wire my inverter's output directly to dedicated receptacles inside the trailer. Now when we lose shore power I don't even have to get out of bed - just turn on the inverter with the remote control and go back to sleep. I also don't have to remember to turn the converter off or force the fridge to the gas mode. When shore power is restored everything in the trailer automatically just goes back to normal. :B

Switching between inverter and generator was a chore. I actually ate cold food vs. going out to switch to the generator for the 1 minute of microwave use I needed.

When I wired it all up, I wasn't mentally prepared for thinking about how to do it right. I was just proud of myself for getting the inverter + 4 batteries installed. ๐Ÿ˜„

When I do it again, I'll do better. I like Xantrex's automatic transfer switches for individual breakers. I'll be able to pick 2 breakers and make most of the camper outlets hot regardless of power source. New trailer Friday, so who knows when I'll get the batteries and inverter properly installed...
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

thetechie01
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
thetechie01 wrote:
... and 99% of the time the inverter is on I have the lid open to monitor things.

Hmmmm, kinda awkward when it's pouring rain outside. ๐Ÿ˜‰

thetechie01 wrote:
My deep cycle batteries are about 6 years old, and likely near end of their life, hence the 11.8v and only taking about an hour to charge with a stand alone battery charger.

Which may be the perfect excuse to replace those aged flooded batts with a pair of AGMs that would be a lot safer to locate within the same box as the inverter and allow you to leave the lid closed. ๐Ÿ˜„

Agreed!! That's definitely the next step in this process.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
thetechie01 wrote:
... and 99% of the time the inverter is on I have the lid open to monitor things.

Hmmmm, kinda awkward when it's pouring rain outside. ๐Ÿ˜‰

thetechie01 wrote:
My deep cycle batteries are about 6 years old, and likely near end of their life, hence the 11.8v and only taking about an hour to charge with a stand alone battery charger.

Which may be the perfect excuse to replace those aged flooded batts with a pair of AGMs that would be a lot safer to locate within the same box as the inverter and allow you to leave the lid closed. ๐Ÿ˜„

thetechie01
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I should add some more info... after the pictures were taken, I added a buch of ventilation to the box, front, back and bottom, and 99% of the time the inverter is on I have the lid open to monitor things.

My batteries are wired according to the second method in that link, which he states is the best for two batteries.

The inverter I have has a GFCI circuit already, and when I don't have the cord plugged in, I have a rubber plug cover that I use so it's protected.

This was our first time in 7 years of owning the trailer to camp somewhere without some kind of power, so it won't be used that often as it is, just there for those few times that it's needed.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
BUT- I will say, I use the same trick for the inverter with backfeeding the camper's power from it. So long as I shut off the converter/charger, it works really well with my 1000W inverter.

Certainly feeding the entire trailer "whole house" by plugging it's main service cable into the inverter's output can work but after having to go outside in the snow at 3 am to move my cable from the dead campsite post and over to the inverter I decided it was time to wire my inverter's output directly to dedicated receptacles inside the trailer. Now when we lose shore power I don't even have to get out of bed - just turn on the inverter with the remote control and go back to sleep. I also don't have to remember to turn the converter off or force the fridge to the gas mode. When shore power is restored everything in the trailer automatically just goes back to normal. :B

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone else hit on the things that raised red flags for me.

BUT- I will say, I use the same trick for the inverter with backfeeding the camper's power from it. So long as I shut off the converter/charger, it works really well with my 1000W inverter.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
11.8 and charged up in an hour? You have some amazing stuff there.
x2. OP might think they're charged, but they're not.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I really appreciate DIY picture posts this time of year but I have to agree with others. You really don't want the inv. in that area and the outlet needs to be weather protected or it's going to fail quick.
Nice clean work though!

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Only two thoughts:
That inverter is not intended to be installed in an explosive environment.

Click for the proper way to wire two batteries battery connections
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin