cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

installation of Microair Soft Start on Coleman 15K AC

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody done this? Pictures? Advice?

Where did you mount the device, as presumably it will not fit inside the wiring cage.
10 REPLIES 10

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Timeking wrote:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1x1rXg91UQo-2-uoSznzKQUyZYfgrx8oH

See above from Microair. My intention in my original post was to converse with someone with a Mach 15 who had installed the unit. Does it fit? Does it not fit? And if the latter, how did you route the wires and do the install? Etc?

they give dimensions. make a cardboard box with the dimensions and see if it will fit in the enclosure. That will give you the answer your looking for.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer

See above from Microair. My intention in my original post was to converse with someone with a Mach 15 who had installed the unit. Does it fit? Does it not fit? And if the latter, how did you route the wires and do the install? Etc?

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
OK, this diagram is from micro-air, and apparently the device "may not" fit (verbiage in quotes is Microair). If it doesn't fit, well, that is my question for someone who has installed it in Mach 15 AC.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Timeking wrote:
If I have to have a whole bunch of installation parts, drill, grommet, glue, beer, etc. etc. to install, I'd much rather know what I need to have, rather than going up and down off the camper, putting the hood on when I go to the hardware store, taking it off when I get back, putting it back on when I realize I don't have what I thought I needed, then falling off the camper roof breaking my arm and have to pay somebody to install for me.

Seems to me you're making this out to be a much bigger deal than it really is :R ... but maybe you should have someone else do this for you. Right from Micro-Air Easy Start Webpage it says ...

"How difficult is installation in an RV?

EasyStart mounts inside the rain shield on a rooftop unit. The wires are run to the electric box and connected to four points in the box. We have many wiring diagrams available for rooftop units and in some cases complete installation guides. Although most customers install EasyStart themselves, a few opt to have it installed by their RV dealer, HVAC technician or electrician."

Your choice. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
fairfaxjim wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
One of the best upgrades I've done. Now my honda 2000 will start the AC in eco mode. and run the AC fine up to about 4000ft. Hopefully the honda 2200 will run it at higher altitude.[/corrquote]
ktmrfs,
I am considering the softstart also. Have you experienced that the Honda 2000 will not run your ac above 4k feet?

I have two honda 2000's.
Here is my experience. the honda 2000 will run the AC easily at 3500 ft or so. My one experience at 4500ft, 95F with a density altitude (that is correcting the altitude for temperature and humidity) of 6000Ft, the honda would run the AC for about 10 minutes before the micro air would kick it out sensing overload, then restart after 10 minutes or so. I tried both generators, each gave almost identical run times. So at that altitude it was parallel them for the AC. The pair loafing along.

now even at that high density altitude, the honda in eco mode easily started the AC, nicely ramped up to full power, just can' sustain it. The honda 2000 is really a 1600VA generator, 2000 is the peak power which it can only sustain for very short periods of time. Honda claims 30 minutes, reality is it is much less.

Now this is consistent with the honda 2000 rating, it is 13.3A @ SEA LEVEL continous output. derate for altitude on a gas engine, indicates it's going to be marginal at high altitude.

One honda 2000 is now going to my son and I have a honda 2200 on order, should arrive this week. I suspect the extra 200W continous will let me run at that altitude, but again at some altitude it will run into problems depending on the AC current draw.

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
fairfaxjim - I have a Champion 3400 dual fuel so can't respond to Honda question. I have however spent considerable time searching, and it seems that on propane altitude adjustments to the carb are not required, but I will still see decreased horsepower with each 1000 ft higher. I'd think that you could examine how many amps you need to start at sealevel, then start subtracting amp availability for each 1000 ft. That approach might provide insight as regards where the Honda will fail to start the AC.

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
My unit is a Coleman/Airxcel Mach 15. Having read the [expletive deleted] manual, watched the videos, and looked at the picture showing possible mounting locations ... I was hoping that someone would have ACTUALLY installed this thing in a Mach 15. If you truly do have to mount it OUTSIDE the cage:

1. How did you get the wiring to go inside the cage? And if you had to drill a new hole to get the wires in, how did you keep the water out? Did you use a rubber grommet (which I will have to have IN HAND before attempting the installation.

2. If you mounted outside the cage, should the wires coming out of the softstart point up (per information I found that makes no sense) or down (so water would less likely enter the softstart). The area outside of the cage has NO protection from the elements, and can get VERY wet in there during a storm or driving through torrential rain on highway.

If I have to have a whole bunch of installation parts, drill, grommet, glue, beer, etc. etc. to install, I'd much rather know what I need to have, rather than going up and down off the camper, putting the hood on when I go to the hardware store, taking it off when I get back, putting it back on when I realize I don't have what I thought I needed, then falling off the camper roof breaking my arm and have to pay somebody to install for me. [several expletives deleted]

fairfaxjim
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
One of the best upgrades I've done. Now my honda 2000 will start the AC in eco mode. and run the AC fine up to about 4000ft. Hopefully the honda 2200 will run it at higher altitude.

ktmrfs,
I am considering the softstart also. Have you experienced that the Honda 2000 will not run your ac above 4k feet?
Jim & JoAnne
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD Double Cab
2004 Starcraft 11RT (Replaced by)
2011 Eclipse Milan 18CK Travel Trailer

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Timeking wrote:
Has anybody done this? Pictures? Advice?

Logically your first step would be to read the Micro-Air Easy Start Installation Instructions, identify the various parts in your A/C you need to access, and decide where to best locate the Easy Start module. Do this and the actual installation should take no time at all but if questions do arise just give Micro-Air a call for clarification.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
different AC units mount differently. the website has pictures of common AC units and mounting. On my Coleman Mach III it mounted inside the cover that had the soft start cap and other wiring. took less than 30 minutes to install. It's not very large so it can fit pretty easily in a small space.

One of the best upgrades I've done. Now my honda 2000 will start the AC in eco mode. and run the AC fine up to about 4000ft. Hopefully the honda 2200 will run it at higher altitude.