cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Strange voice warning, (Are they coming from my head) ?

tri5ron
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I am posting this inquiry for a friend who is not yet a member of ORF. (but I am forcing her to join soon, hahaha).

A couple of weeks ago she purchased a brand new 2018 Dynamax Isata Series 3, From Dillon RV in Westminister, Ca. A few days after the purchase she took her "Maiden Voyage" of 2000 miles, and has just returned.

Naturally, She has a few issues with this new rig that popped up during her trip. I'm sure I will be inquiring here on some of the other issues later, but for now I would like to find out if anyone has ever had this particular experience or have any knowledge about it.

She explained to me that while driving the rig at normal highway speeds, and in normal good road and weather conditions, she would hear a voice speaking, (I'm assuming from some sort of on-board systems?). This voice would repeat periodically, but not necessarily at any identifiable or specific intervals or condition(s).

The voice would say, "Warning, You are in RV Violation".
So before anyone says it,.... Yes,... I know this sounds nuts, but this is what it is saying.

There were no accompanying indications like warning lights on the dash, or no handling or vehicle performance issues, no rattles, no shakes, no NOTHING. Just this strange voice is all.

Can anyone here shed some light on this ?
Has anyone ever heard of this ?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

PS- Yes,... She is sitting here next to me as I type this, and Yes,... we are getting a kick out of how this must sound as a crazy question, LOL !

She is laughing while asking me, "Are these just voices in my head ?" hahaha.
Happy trails,
Ron

P.S.- If you smell wood burning, or see smoke,
don't worry, It's just me trying to think

97 Chevy Suburban towing a...
14' huntin' Toybox,
23 REPLIES 23

tri5ron
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,
Thank you very much for your reply. The motor home is at the dealer for several other discrepancies. (I can't believe the way she has been treated and some of the things the dealership has tried to pull on her) I would not recommend this dealership to anyone.

Anyway, once the moho comes.back, I will take your advice and do a check of the SD card and program updates.
Happy trails,
Ron

14' huntin' Toybox,

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same Back-Seat Driver that drove me nuts. It is especially annoying when you are wide awake and driving the same route for the 100th time. I don't need to be reminded of every twist and turn and hill along the way. However, some of the settings can be useful especially when you are navigating unfamiliar roads.

Our unit is a Winnebago installed Xite 9" Infotainment Center with the Rand McNally RVGPS Navigation and Routing for RVs. The first thing you need to do is install the Rand McNally Dock on a computer and take the SD card from the unit and do an update. Almost certainly that by the time the RV is in the owners hands, several updates have been issued. I will bet that a detailed instruction manual was not included; you can download one from Rand McNally. The one I am refering to is RVND 7730. Yours may be the same or similar. My unit got so screwy that I just set the whole thing to factory default and then from there explored all the settings and features. I find the system not very intuitive and awkward to use, but I am used to it now.

I seem to recall hearing something like the RV Violation warning. I think some of the information about the roads are 'Crowd Sourced' like on 'Waze'. If you are carrying propane, you can't use some bridges or tunnels. Some roads have lane restrictions or are closed to all but passenger cars. I'm a little mad about how my GPS told me to stay right and go through a toll plaza that was only for commercial trucks. Once there I could not leave until I paid a toll based on the class of the chassis and how many wheels were on the ground. Not cheap. In the set-up menu, you can enter the type and specifications of the RV. You can tell the unit how you want to be routed; car, RV or truck. There are settings for speed, hills, turns, bridges and tunnels and all sorts of stuff. You can set thresholds or turn off certain features. You just have to go into the menus and see what is there and make changes to suit your situation. For example, I have the speed warning set to Limit + a little extra to keep from speeding. If your GPS knows how big and heavy your RV is, it will tell you that the bridge ahead is a bad idea. One time before I had the RM RVGPS in I tried to get across a river from New Jersey to Pennsylvania and avoid a toll on the Interstate. As I approached the bridge, I saw a sign, "Weight Limit 5 Tons". If I had any thought of crossing that bridge, it went away when I saw a parked patrol car with eyes on traffic. I turned around, got on the Interstate and was a few bucks lighter. Foiled again! It was such a good plan. The GPS did steer me away from going down a road with a killer railroad bridge that would have taken everything off the roof of my Navion.
Steve

tri5ron
Explorer
Explorer
ok, I contacted Rand McNally Customer Technical Support, and theyhave never heard of this warning either.
Why am I not surprised by this ? :R
The lady I spoke with could only suggest removing the SD Card from the unit,... going online for instructions on scanning for corrupted files, and possible "Repair" of "corrupted software".

I asked if there is any local authorized Rand McNally Service Centers or technicians that I could have look into this, and her reply was "No, We donot have anything like that", and then suggested matbe taking it to Camping World to see if anyone there could help.

Not what I would expect to hear from a companies Customer Tech Support. GRRRRRrrrrrrrr .
Happy trails,
Ron

14' huntin' Toybox,

tri5ron
Explorer
Explorer
well we have confirmed "the voice from above" is coming from the Rand McNally GPS. I looked up some instructional video's and set the speed warning down to 42 mph, (as low as it would go). Travelling above 42 did give a speed warning in the same voice she had previously heard before, but the verbiage was different.

We have not figured out what the "You are in RV violation" warning is all about. She just returned from her second trip in the new rig, and she told me that it did give that warning a few times during the trip.

I have looked at the entire menu for setting the warning parameters, and I can not find anything that would indicate what this warning might be referring to.

I plan to get a hold of Rand McNally Technical Support, and see what light they might be able to shed on this.

Thanks for all the suggestions (And laughs too).
Happy trails,
Ron

14' huntin' Toybox,

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
glennts wrote:
How long do you think it will be before driving your RV in violation is a reason to void a warranty.

I donโ€™t think it would void warranty but there could be automated posts to rv.net tattling on driver.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

glennts
Explorer
Explorer
How long do you think it will be before driving your RV in violation is a reason to void a warranty.

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
It is always nice to have a travel companion ๐Ÿ™‚
I am with the others thinking the nav system or onboard Big Brother.
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Check your hearing aid battery. Probably dead.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
As long a I take my medications I don't hear the voices anymore.

swiftboot22
Explorer
Explorer
"speed warning...speed warning" perhaps the robotic voice of the GPS causes "speed" to sound like "rv" at the speeds the vehicle would be traveling for it to activate.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Is she blonde? Does she ice fish at the skating arena?

"Voice from heaven" There are no fish under this ice!
"Blonde" Is that you, God?
"Voice from heaven" No, this is the skating rink manager! There are no fish under this ice!"

Sorry, the HP PA post above made me do it. ๐Ÿ™‚
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
Is it the rv dot net Weight Police?

LOL X2

Did you use the search function?
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it the rv dot net Weight Police?

tri5ron
Explorer
Explorer
I think we are on the right track here.
Yes,... this rig Does have the Rand McNally RV GPS system.

I just watched a whole bunch of youtube video's on the GPS system and how to set up the preferences and audible warnings. I have not checked her setting out yet, but I'm thinking this audible warning may be coming from a setting being at too tight of a limit parameter.

The rig DID have 2000 miles on it when she bought it a couple of weeks ago,... which is about exactly the right distance from Elkhart Indiana to Westminister Ca.

My guess is whoever drove it here from the manufacturer could have been playing with the GPS along the way.

I won't be able to get back to her rig for a couple of days, but I will reply back here when I figure it out.

Thanks so much for all your replies and help.
Happy trails,
Ron

14' huntin' Toybox,