Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering a Diesel Pusher - Floorplan Question

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

My family is considering making a move to a Diesel Pusher. I have noticed in the short amount of time I have searched,for obvious reasons, diesel pushers seem to be more oriented to a 2 person setup. This can be seen in the form of a 2 person dining table instead of a dinette, crummy secondary sleeping options, etc.

Being that I am in my Mid 30s, with a 3.5 year old and another kiddo on the way, plus I like to do "dude" trips with some of my buddies. Sleeping arrangements are important to me.

Ideally I would like something around 35' (shorter the better but I realize in diesel pusher land this is kind of an oxymoron), with a sofa, dinette sleeper and bunk-beds if possible. I have seen many class A bunkhouses but they seem to all be gassers.

Anyone know of any models of diesel pushers that satisfy most of my above criteria? Thanks for the recommendations...
Chris (KD7WZW)
2003 Tiffin Allegro Bus M-32IP
26 REPLIES 26

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Biggyniner wrote:
Thanks everyone for their opinions and advice. After talking with the DW and considering our needs vs. wants we are expanded our search to Class A gassers as well. What helped push to this decision was the fact that we are not fulltimers (yet!). And since that is many many years off we can get by with climbing the passes at ~45MPH. Also the cost difference certainly helps...

You might well have gone over those same passes in a DP at 45 as they generally weight substantially more and are geared for max torque and top end gears for cruising.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
KD4UPL,

You said; "...we travel more than we camp. But, I have 3 kids and I want something with at least 3, if not 4 bunk beds. This pretty much doesn't exist in a MH format. Therefore, I'm going to be going with a trailer, either a TT or FW, I don't know which."

I'm a bit confused by this statement. There is NO BETTER WAY to travel with kids than in a motorhome. Are you saying that you think they'll be happier travelling if you coop them up in a truck for the entire day so they can each sleep in a bunk at night? As I mentioned in my post above, kids will sleep just about anywhere, and ours never had any issues with sleeping on the sofas or dinette. Bunks, in my opinion, are a waste of space. They take up valuable living/storage space. If our rig DID have bunks, we would lose all of the closet and drawer space the kids have PLUS our large utility closet. If you're travelling with kids, you have to think of storage for clothing for each child. It adds up quickly. Plus games, books, etc. As I said, it adds up quickly.

Travelling in a motorhome, when you hit a traffic delay, construction, or whatever, we use that time for everyone to take potty breaks and if we're travelling through lunch, we have sandwiches, snacks & drinks ready to distribute. When the traffic clears, I just hit the gas and keep on rolling when most of the others caught in the jam are heading for the first exit or rest stop.

The kids can get up and change their seating position if they want. As they got older, I bring them up to be "co-pilot", which is always a thrill for them. I even installed seatbelts across our queen bed in the back for when we travelled at night. They would sleep back there and the seatbelts across the top kept them from rolling out of bed if I had to hit the brakes hard.

Anyway, I would suggest you rethink the decision for a trailer or fiver. They definitely have their advantages for some people. But if you're travelling with children, it's pretty hard to beat the conveniences of travelling with them in a motorhome. 🙂

Good luck in your search,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Biggyniner,

Glad to hear you're going to include gas rigs in your search. For many of us, they are the better solution.

I'd like to address the question of bunkbeds. Our Class A gasser does not have bunk beds as they were all but non-existent in A's back in 2004 when we bought it new. Dual sofa layouts were common in DPs, but those were WAY out of our budget. Our two sofa layout (rare in gas Class A's) has been a fantastic fit for our family of 6, plus a dog or two over the years. I know many people despise changing the living quarters to sleeping quarters at night and morning, but to be perfectly honest. I don't see what the big deal is. You stow the sleeping gear (pillows, sheets, blankets, etc.) in one overhead cabinet over each sofa & the dinette. When the kids were young, wifey and I working together did the conversion in about 5 minutes. If it was just one of us, then maybe 10 minutes. But as the kids got older, they just did it themselves.

What I dislike about the majority of units with bunks is that the bunks are on the other side of a paper-thin wall to the master bedroom. There are times when wifey and I were either watching DVDs with adult language and themes we didn't want them to hear, or we were doing a bit of our own "adult show" if you get my drift! 🙂 With all the kids up front, the ducted air/heaters running, TV or stereo on up front, we didn't have to worry about them hearing anything from the back of the rig. After 14 years, we STILL have yet to see a floorplan that would work better for our family.

Now, as to your "dude trips", not sure how many of you there will be, but there is a fair amount of floorspace in a 2 or 3 slide unit and sleeping bags work great, too. So, those shorter of stature can use the dinette or sofas, taller folks can use either a sleeping bag or an air mattress on the floor.

Anyway, when we were doing our research, we valued dedicated living space over dedicated sleeping space, and for our family, that worked very well. By the time the end of the day comes around, kids are pretty tired and they can sleep just about anywhere.

Keep looking....there are lots of similar floorplans out there, but every once in a while you stumble upon something a bit different. Look at those closely with an open mind and you just might find your gem.

Good Luck in your search,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for their opinions and advice. After talking with the DW and considering our needs vs. wants we are expanded our search to Class A gassers as well. What helped push to this decision was the fact that we are not fulltimers (yet!). And since that is many many years off we can get by with climbing the passes at ~45MPH. Also the cost difference certainly helps...
Chris (KD7WZW)

Ian_Baker
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at a Thor Palazzao 33.3? It is right around 35', has two bunks that are 74" long and you could probably pick up a 2013 or 2014 for right around that $100k mark. Happy RV hunting!

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Seem to recall that GonewiththeWynns had or wrote an article on an A class that had an electronic come down from the ceiling double/queen bed above the driver/passenger area. Was it Fleetwood??? Just saying might be worth checking out for adult size, and that coupled with the pull out sofa and main bedroom might work????

Alternatively if you aren't happy with bunk sizes on A models, then I'd likely consider a towable/5er = just saying.

End of day it'll all be about a compromise on something and if you are spending less dude nights in the RV than family nights, then maybe the bunk models will be best option??? It for sure is nice not to have to turn the living room/dinette into/out of beds each and every night/morning. We've done that on numerous occasions when family travelled with us.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 National Tropical LX T-350 which is approx 35' long, 3 slides, queen bed, sofa makes into bed as does dinette what seats 4 adults easily. Although National is no longer in business, the coach may be available used. Nice coach if you can find one in good condition.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
KD4UPL wrote:
I'd love a MH because we travel more than we camp. But, I have 3 kids and I want something with at least 3, if not 4 bunk beds. This pretty much doesn't exist in a MH format. Therefore, I'm going to be going with a trailer, either a TT or FW, I don't know which.
You say you've seen "lots" of MH bunkhouse models? With 2 bunks or more? What were they, if you don't mind?

You travel more than you camp? How is that even possible? You drive and drive and drive, sleep a bit and drive and drive and drive? I think you are missing everything this Country has to offer!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
The drop down bunks over the driver's seats are much nicer for adults than bunks but not too many DPs have them... yet. They seem to be a growing thing.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
I'd love a MH because we travel more than we camp. But, I have 3 kids and I want something with at least 3, if not 4 bunk beds. This pretty much doesn't exist in a MH format. Therefore, I'm going to be going with a trailer, either a TT or FW, I don't know which.
You say you've seen "lots" of MH bunkhouse models? With 2 bunks or more? What were they, if you don't mind?

Some examples here.....
DP's
Gas
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River Legacy, Winnebago Forza lineups both have bunk models.

I have slept in my last Super C bunks in a pinch, fine for me at 5'11". I also was stationed on a USCG ship in the past so was used to being a little "cramped but comfy".

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
Just for fun I looked through the pages of Diesel Motorhomes <$100K on PPL motorhome's website. I did not see any with bunks. Several had the back bed (Queen or King), 2 sofa sleepers, and a booth dinette.

I think you're going to have a hard time finding something in that range with bunks, but some searching might find you a unit with a floorplan where you could have some feature removed and bunks installed. Would just take a lot of looking at dealer websites and some time.

For more fun, I found this model...new and way above $100K...that basically fit what you said you're looking for in length, DP, bunks, etc. So what you are looking for does exist.

http://www.mhsrv.com/2019-thor-motor-coach-palazzo-33-3-bunk-house-rv-for-sale-w-full-wall-slide-new-diesel-pusher-tx-i2062500

Looking and searching is kinda fun anyway. Good luck!
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
NCC-1701 wrote:
It's a little hard to give options when we don't know if you're looking new or used and perhaps a budget to help narrow it down.

Mine has a King bed, a very large sofa sleeper that could easily sleep two adults, plus a dinette that could sleep a shorter adult, especially if they slept diagonally on it. In addition, with opposing slides in front, it opens up so much that one or two people could put air mattresses down on the floor between the dinette and the kitchen counter, if needed. We also have two recliners that could be laid back and slept in. It would be a "full house" but my unit could sleep quite a few people, if needed.

Used, under $100K
Chris (KD7WZW)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:

There are a fair few class C bunkhouse plans that have two bunk beds and room for a couple in a cabover bunk, besides the big bed in the back. That's one possibility.