cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for a dual hitch: cargo and spare tire carrier?

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a dual purpose rear hitch for our Class C that would allow us to carry (stack) our spare tire above and also allow us to carry our cargo carrier below the spare tire. Rear hitch is the 2"x2" size.

Suggestions welcome and thank to all.

Jim & Cosette in N. Cal.
8 REPLIES 8

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
Find a way to carry your extra loads off of frame. Even though they make a dual hitch, the tongue loads are much reduced. not recommend at all if you are towing trailer.I use a step up to tow CRV level and manufacture recommends a reduction to 100# tongue weight.

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
jimx200 wrote:
Looking for a dual purpose rear hitch for our Class C that would allow us to carry (stack) our spare tire above and also allow us to carry our cargo carrier below the spare tire. Rear hitch is the 2"x2" size.

Suggestions welcome and thank to all.

Jim & Cosette in N. Cal.

Not to hijack your post but I was thinking of the same thing only to store our portable generator and be able to pull our toad at the same time.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using the HF dual extender, but I had a welder increase the height from 6 in the 12 in. I use the lower for towing our toad and the upper for the HF cargo rack, OR, I use the lower for the cargo rack and the upper for the bike rack.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link to the dual hitch from eTrailer. I think either the Curt or the Malone would work. So thinking this combo will work on our 23' Class C:

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapters/Curt/D-192.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-Carrier/Curt/C31006.html

And here is out cargo rack: https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-steel-cargo-carrier-69623.html

We don't carry anything heavy in the cargo rack, usually two inflatable kayaks, paddles, gear, and a igloo cooler, with total weight around 100lbs.

Anyone see any problems with this setup? Thanks again.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
x2, DrewE. โ€œ2x2โ€ size doesnโ€™t indicate capacity.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Something like this? Roadmaster spare tire carrier

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful you don't exceed the tongue weight rating of your hitch. I personally would derate it somewhat for the cargo carrier especially since it is extending the lever arm beyond what a trailer would apply to the ball, which puts additional stress on the hitch...and frequently adapters/extensions recommend further derating of the hitch.

The main part you're looking for is probably a "dual hitch adapter." Etrailer, as linked by Ken, does carry them (and they're a good company to deal with).

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Etrailer, they have just about everything you will need.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.