Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2018 Toyota 4Runner towed?

Airmon
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
We just sold our '06 Jeep liberty that we've towed for 4 years. It's been a good vehicle for us, but it was time to get something newer.

We'd really like an '18 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, but I've got a few questions that I'm hoping someone here can answer. The 4Runner can't be towed without some mods, according to all the stuff I've read. Remco sells a transmission pump ( we're not interested in a driveline disconnect, we're unsure it can handle the off road duty we have in mind for the truck ) for the 4Runner. That makes sense for the lower-end models which have an electronic dial to control the transfer case and so don't have a neutral position, but the TRD Pro models have a mechanical lever for the transfer case, allowing you to put the T-case into neutral. This ought to prevent the driveline rotation from reaching the transmission, eliminating the need for a trans pump.

Can anyone confirm this, or can tell me about their experiences with the 4Runner TRD models?

BTW, we love to off-road and were looking for something a little larger than our Liberty, with more on-road prowess and comfort than a Jeep Wrangler. We know the Wrangler is easy to tow and if this doesn't work we'll settle for one of those, but for now we're looking for answers about the 4Runner.
Eric
2003 Southwind/2016 JKUR
Emporia, VA
5 REPLIES 5

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Save yourself some trouble and buy a Jeep Wrangler.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it doesn't say how to do it in the owners manual (putting the Transfer case in N) to flat tow I wouldn't do it. I used the Remco driveshaft disconnect on my 4 Runner for years with no problems and a couple we camp with is still using his disconnect with out any problems.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
You are confusing two different types of transfer case designs. The transfer cases operated by a switch or button CANNOT be towed 4 down as they are in essence a clutch pack type design requiring internal pump pressure to operate.

The second type used by Toyota is a manually shifted two speed, high/low with neutral, design the same as found in many off road style vehicles. This design transfer case CAN BE towed 4 down in neutral.

One word of caution, Toyota does not certify ANY of it's vehicles to be towed 4 down behind a motorhome. That said the Toyota 4Runner TRD Edition with the manual shifted transfer case can be towed 4 down as long as you are willing to accept the loss of driveline coverage.

And before the X'purts start questioning the above, I spent 28 years with Toyota Motor Manufacturing, and retired as a senior vehicle design engineer.

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
Then brand new wrangler (2018? or is 2019?) has a new configuration to make it better to drive on the road. You may want to test drive one if it can be towed.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I have read that the Toyota transfer case oil pumps are driven by the input shaft, which is why they can't be towed. Most domestic cases the pump is on the output shaft.

It seems as if there would be enough splash lubrication from the chain to protect bearings in a no load situation. Not sure I'd want to test that theory on a brand new case...

Please let us know if you find more definitive information. I'd like to tow one myself some day.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...