cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical gremlin

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
Every motorhome has a house battery that runs all the 12 volt devices normally. I had an issue with my El Capitan that the devices would work intermittently, but would always work with the generator or shore line. After checking everything with a voltmeter, I discovered that the control plug on the Onan generator was loose. For reasons I don't completely understand, when that plug comes loose your motorhome will have those electrical issues. So if your 12 volt lights don't always work, check that plug first. It contains the Start-Stop control wires, too.
2 REPLIES 2

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
GOSH!

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
I was wrong in my previous post. There is a solenoid style relay in the breaker panel that is normally closed when the generator is off or shoreline is disconnected. When closed, this completes the 12 volt feed to the panel fuses from the battery. When 120 volts is present, the solenoid opens the relay and allows the convertor to feed the same 12 volt fuses with the battery now disconnected.

I oiled the plunger and the relay button and got them both to loosen up, now everything works like it should.

The connection to the generator had nothing to do with this problem.

Here is a good site to look at converters- http://www.bestconverter.com/MagnetekParallax-to-Ultra-III_ep_8-1.html