cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canadian Travel with Criminal History

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I've been reading posts about not being permitted entry in to Canada if you've ever been arrested, especially with a DUI convction. Unfortunatey I've had the experience of being arrested more than once back in my younger stupid days and one was in fact a DUI conviction more than 35 years ago. I've traveled in and out of Canada several times over the last 5 years on business without even a hiccup. I'm planning a Canadian/Alaskan trip upon retirement. Is there any reason to expect issues entering into Canada for this retirement trip?
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68
24 REPLIES 24

Lancslad
Explorer
Explorer
On one border crossing into Canada we were asked if the front license plate was real!! They checked the rear one to make sure it matched.
2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
I'm usually asked for the license number of our 5th wheel by both sides. If your vehicle doesn't have a front plate, they will probably ask for that as well. It's because they can't see the rear of your vehicles from where they are. They don't care if you know by it heart or pull out your registration and look it up.

Same here ,I keep a big copy written with a sharpie on the dash (so I dont fumble with glasses):o
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
If all you do is roll through the lane your ID is not run for a full check, just the basics, citizenship and if there’s a ‘flag’ on your ID, an outstanding warrant, etc.

They don’t do a full record search unless or until you’re sent into secondary inspection. Transiting through Canada heading for Alaska in a camper is a huge red flag for people potentially carrying firearms, declared or not.

The OP should also be aware that if he’s intending to see more of Canada he won’t get across the border into Ontario if he has his pit bull with him, they’re not legal here. If entering elsewhere and then coming into Ontario he will *likely* get through without an issue, but I’ve heard of lots of folks that didn’t too.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm usually asked for the license number of our 5th wheel by both sides. If your vehicle doesn't have a front plate, they will probably ask for that as well. It's because they can't see the rear of your vehicles from where they are. They don't care if you know by it heart or pull out your registration and look it up.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
allen8106 wrote:
I've been reading posts about not being permitted entry in to Canada if you've ever been arrested, especially with a DUI convction. Unfortunatey I've had the experience of being arrested more than once back in my younger stupid days and one was in fact a DUI conviction more than 35 years ago. I've traveled in and out of Canada several times over the last 5 years on business without even a hiccup. I'm planning a Canadian/Alaskan trip upon retirement. Is there any reason to expect issues entering into Canada for this retirement trip?

Yes....expect potential issues from the border agent based on your criminal history upon entering Canada.

Upon initial contact, the border agent has to quickly determine whether to potentially permit entry, initiate additional screening measures, or potentially deny a person's entry into Canada.....based on these factors :

- Purpose of entering Canada
- Destination(s)
- Length of stay within Canada
- Verbal declarations
- Person's conduct during initial contact

Once the border agent seems satisfied with all immediate disclosed answers, the next step is confirming the person's entry status based on these factors :

- Proof of identity and citizenship
- Health status
- Immediate background check (criminal history, outstanding warrants, etc.)
- Travel history within Canada (visiting, immigration or visa status)
- Verification of declarations or non declarations (at the border agent's discretion)
- Extensive background checks (at the border agent's discretion)

As noted in bold, the most important factor to remember for visitors entering Canada is :

MACHZER wrote:

Chances are your not getting in. It works both ways. A friend on mine had a DIU when he was 16 and got a pardon to cross into the USA, Denied, he's 58 .
Have a USA employee trying to come up for a meeting here in Manitoba Canada, had a DUI 20 years ago, denied.
You won't know until you try to cross and hope you get the right agent when crossing

It's up to each individual agent. Once you are denied once your done.

I strongly suggest you apply for a NEXUS card. The Nexus card is pre approval by both Homeland Securty and CANADA. CSBA, with the NEXUS card you are pre approved to cross and Carey's a lot of weight.$50 for 5 years, more powerful than a passport

I was also told this multiple times by 4 Canadian friends, and one person that became a Canadian citizen leaving Alaska 30 years ago to live in Dawson City Yukon stressing the fact that once CBSA or immigration officials denies anyone entry into Canada or ever been told to leave Canada, you are pretty much done from ever entering Canada again, even under minor or misunderstanding situations which is at the official's discretion.....

In July 2010 upon entering Canada, I was asked this question once by the border agent if I was ever denied entry or ever been told to leave Canada, I stated NEVER !..(since 2006, I have logged each non routine question by CBSA officials upon my yearly visits in Canada so I get a broader perspective on how they do their job).

Furthermore, I personally confirmed numerous accounts of denied entry of Alaskans that I personally know based on admissibility status - very similar to what MACHZER has posted upon other individuals - and we are talking about the individuals that are deemed "rehabilitated" according to regulation due to timeframe or nature of offense(s) that allow a permit entry status (which also has the same transparent deny entry status window for the same individuals).

Either way, it does not mean it is a free pass into Canada as once again, it is up to the discretion of the official to analyze a person's risk assessment regardless if the individual has been permitted entry 99 times prior with a criminal history no matter how old the incident took place, whether it is or not on a state database or a paper file what have you......Canada and the United States have full disclosure of shared databases for all levels of agencies as they can obtain other paper files by contacting a records department or court if needed - I can certainly vouch for that as I been held up by border officials enough times over those situations more than once.

Based on my perspective on what the OP has stated - I would say the OP has a good chance of permitted entry...based on the purpose of entering Canada is "destination" upon "in transit" to Alaska :

25% chance that a border agent will clear the OP with little or no issues to enter Canada....

25% chance that a border agent will deny the OP from entering Canada based on criminal admissibility status....

50% chance that a border agent will clear the OP to enter Canada based on criminal admissibility status by obtaining a TRP (temporary resident permit) and pay a specified fee with travel restrictions of certain amount of days specified by officials and direct route, must clear Canada Customs upon leaving Canada prior to clearing with US Customs entering Alaska.

If declaring a "visiting" status for extended time upon entry to Canada enroute to Alaska (like taking sidetrips along the way in Canada), the odds of probability most likely would change based on the OP's admissibility status....

33% chance that a border agent will clear the OP with little or no issues to enter Canada....

67% chance that a border agent will deny the OP from entering Canada based on criminal admissibility status....

I have yet to hear TRP's being issued on any leasurely sidetrip for a visitor into Canada.....The two positive things in favor of the OP's situation is the fact of multi crossings in the past 5 years and never been denied entry, however the status on entering Canada will be different....

Although the OP stated no issues entering Canada numerous times in the past on official business, it is clearly not the same purpose upon visiting or in transit to Alaska by RV....Unknown how the OP entered Canada on business or length of stay but I assume it was air travel and a short timeframe (and a confirmed return airline ticket) where one would be deemed a low risk status with a "deemed rehabilitated" criminal history which officials clearly see, and determined the business travel was essential enough.

Contacting the CBSA might help, but more likely they will also tell you it would be up to the border agent to permit and deny entry at a port of call.

As others have noted, tell the truth and be honest about all answered questions that are thrown at - as I mention this advice :

If a question is based on the past or documented, officials can easily find out or already know part of or fully know the answer - which is also factored on permitted or denied entry based on an individual's answer...

If a question is based on the present knowing they can be easily verified by officials, better tell the truth too...

If a question is based on the present and clearly cannot be verified by officials, no need to worry - those are test or curious questions...relax.

Best of luck to the OP in your situation.

Farmboy666 wrote:
If knowing your own license plate number is a requirement I hope they have a uturn lane. I have 1 car, 3 trucks, and RV and 3 motorcycles. I know my zipcode.

I been asked the license plate question on two occasions entering Canada and it is not a requirement question - it is just a test question to see how an individual answers it...

I answered mine "my 10-28 is Alaska issue (numbers) and in phonetic letters Bravo Alpha".....The one male customs officer didnt bat an eye or look at me after my answer, but two years later the female customs officer gave me the stinkeye not expecting me to answer like that, but she cleared me in three minutes though !

All declaration related and proof of identity type questions are required and the answers better be pretty accurate.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
Life is so unfair. Some people want to go to Canada, but they have a criminal history. Others, like me, have no criminal history and no desire to go to Canada. I wish I could gift you my Canada credits.

That's too bad; you're missing out on a lot of spectacular scenery and friendly people here! :B

We enjoy our trips to the US; we have seen a lot of beautiful places as well as met a lot of great folks.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
Oops, did not see that! Thought first time
Clandeboye , Manitoba

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
MACHZER wrote:
Chances are your not getting in. It works both ways. A friend on mine had a DIU when he was 16 and got a pardon to cross into the USA, Denied, he's 58 .
Have a USA employee trying to come up for a meeting here in Manitoba Canada, had a DUI 20 years ago, denied.
You won't know until you try to cross and hope you get the right agent when crossing
I strongly suggest you apply for a NEXUS card. The Nexus card is pre approval by both Homeland Securty and CANADA. CSBA, with the NEXUS card you are pre approved to cross and Carey's a lot of weight.$50 for 5 years, more powerful than a passport

He already said he's been in multiple times over 5 yrs so from that you get he's not getting in?

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
Clandeboye , Manitoba

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
I, as well was arrested some 33 years ago for a dui, I have crossed the border many times without an issue.

I have three suggestions, 1) google crossing into Canada, with a dui. Some Canadian law firm's websites, explain the process pretty well. No convictions for 10 years seems to be a big deal, as does, only one conviction dui or otherwise. sounds like you have more than one.

2) In Washington, we have a state website where you can look up anyone's criminal history, your state might as well. In my case, no record seems to exists of my dui. I can not remember if that is because after completing my sentence, part of the deal was the record was expunged. Or the other possibility was it just got archived and filed somewhere.

3) If your state does not have such a website, contact your lawyer, he or she, will be able to access your states data base, and see what records exist. If your state does not have any record, then I can not see how Canada could. But who knows?

Hope it all works out

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Usually I drive by the border building at 60 MPH while flashing my passport at the agents. They are too polite to say anything.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Farmboy666 wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Fizz wrote:
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Just cross over at a small town. They'll barely even look at you other than asking where you're coming from, where you're going, and how long you'll stay.

Don't worry about it.

Every crossing has computers and check your plates.

Some will even ask you what your plate number is ("my camera missed your plate, what is it, please?"), to see if you know your own license number.

If knowing your own license plate number is a requirement I hope they have a uturn lane. I have 1 car, 3 trucks, and RV and 3 motorcycles. I know my zipcode.

As long as you're not driving all of them when you cross, you should be OK. If you are driving them all, that might arouse suspicion.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Someone suggested contacting CDN Border Services. That is THE best answer, right there.

Having said that..have a plan B. If you are determined to get to Alasksa and you have been turned back you could a) drive to the west coast and arrange for a ferry from Bellingham, Wa. to Alaska and return. b) have someone drive your RV to Anchorage and you fly up..and back when you are done. c) Fly you and your party to Alaska, rent an RV..do the thing, return same way.

Those that say they have no interest in visiting Canada? Why do people have to be rude like that? It can't be about guns..you can ship them to Alaska. It is just..rude. You have no idea what you are missing, and that's too bad. Great people..just like in the US. Great geographical things to see..just like in US. Lots of critters..just like US. Better beer tho.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
Fizz wrote:
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Just cross over at a small town. They'll barely even look at you other than asking where you're coming from, where you're going, and how long you'll stay.

Don't worry about it.

Every crossing has computers and check your plates.

Some will even ask you what your plate number is ("my camera missed your plate, what is it, please?"), to see if you know your own license number.