Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Long is too long

outdoordb
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at upgrading.

Is a 31' (5220/7230) too long for a Chevy Suburban 1500 to tow.

Thanks
26 REPLIES 26

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Mickey,
I personally do not see your comments as being contrary etc. More saying what I said after what you quoted in different terms.
I personally do not say follow to a T! It's a rule of thumb, that. An be stretched, shrunk etc.
It is a semi decent rule of thumb to follow, but at the end of the day, they're many many more things that can make or break you while towing.

Marty

Fair enough. Cheers!

As for the OP - let us know what you decide to do and post some pics either here or on the TT pic thread. I'd love to see what you ended up with.

blt2ski
Mickey,
I personally do not see your comments as being contrary etc. More saying what I said after what you quoted in different terms.
I personally do not say follow to a T! It's a rule of thumb, that. An be stretched, shrunk etc.
It is a semi decent rule of thumb to follow, but at the end of the day, they're many many more things that can make or break you while towing.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
outdoordb wrote:
Ok, so I found a camper we like. 2013 keystone Bullet 286QBS 5200lbs dry 1000lbs of stuff? What's everyone's thoughts?
Thanks

You are likely going to be close to 6,500 loaded - which would probably put near the peak, but not necessarily over, your GCVWR. Your tongue weight is likely to be 800-1,000 pounds, so (depending on the size of your family) payload could become an issue for you on a 1500 - without knowing your true available payload and other details, that's hard to judge.

All of that said, this would not be a concern at all with the E350. So, you have a back-up of what to do if the match with the Suburban is not ideal. So, if you like it, and you are comfortable with the E350 as a backup plan, I'd go for it, load it up, head to the scales, and see where things are!

outdoordb
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so I found a camper we like. 2013 keystone Bullet 286QBS 5200lbs dry 1000lbs of stuff? What's everyone's thoughts?
Thanks

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO....the ratio between wheel base vs rear axle center line to ball is much more important...

That lever arm (in eng speak...moment) in conjunction with wheel base manage the trailers leverage on the TV

That is the basis of the old Pull-Rite and current HA/Pro WD hitch systems that folks tote as the end all to towing heavy and/or long...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
So how much wheel base should I have with my 70+ foot of trailer?:h
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Wheelbase to trailer length ratio rule of thumb......per iirc RV Consumer group...

Min WB for towing anything is 110". Maximum trailer length is 20'. For each additional 3 or 4", you get another foot.

Marty

This is the ratio that we most commonly see in the wheelbase issue, and perhaps it is a good starting point for a rule of thumb (as you indicate). However, I have never seen any vehicle manufacturer name such a ratio. If you search this ratio online you find that most every allusion to it is in a forum such as this in the context of 'I read somewhere...' or 'RV.org once posted that...' I continue to contend that, if wheelbase were to be considered as this significant an issue, it would be listed in vehicle specs alongside GVWR, GCWR, etc... Even frontal area and the weight of the driver considered in tow ratings is listed as a detail in many manuals, so I just don't give that much weight to a wheelbase ratio that has taken on a life of its own but seems to have come from one RV buying guide at some indeterminate point in the past (perhaps it is still in their guides, I don't know).

I hope this does not come across as argumentative (these forums sometimes don't allow for the tenor of a conversation to be conveyed), I simply wanted to offer the contrary point on the wheelbase question. It may be something to consider, but I think the ratio can be very misleading. For us, in practical terms, our 2500 Suburban would be limited to a 25-26' trailer by this ratio, while an F150 with a long wheelbase would be set for up to 36-38'. We tow 35' and are solid as a rock - a lot more solid than an enormous portion of the people out there towing similar units with 1/2 ton trucks that are within the ratio but way overweight!

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree. The E350 will tow a 31 footer much better. Almost certainly has a 5.4 minimum and not geared for gas mileage.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Should have the 5.4. Either will work fine.
Nothing to be scared of.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

outdoordb
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's a 5.7 ? Probably not big enough either.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
The E350 should work great. What motor does it have?

blt2ski
Wheelbase to trailer length ratio rule of thumb......per iirc RV Consumer group...

Min WB for towing anything is 110". Maximum trailer length is 20'. For each additional 3 or 4", you get another foot.

With this in mind, this is was for a typical car half ton truck in 70s. Realistically, this will still work for rigs with manufacture gvwr under 6000-7000 lbs, with a typical 5' of rear overhang.
From my standpoint and $.02 opinion.....
If you have a heavier chassis, you can add 3' or so per DOT truck classification you are heavier than a class 1 or ld2. An 8 lug 2, IE what most call a 25 or 3/4 ton to 10k, add 3', a class 3, 35 or 1 ton, 10,000-13500 giver, add 6' to ratio.
If rear over hang is less than 5', to centered over RA, IE 5w, or gooseneck, you can add another 3-6' or so. If longer, like a 15 passenger Ford van, with a long 7-8,' overhang, shorten a bit.
Likewise, the minimum WB of 110"....give me a freaked break! I know of a former moderator that towed a trailer with his Honda Goldwing! So subtract a foot per 3" below the 110" WB!

Again, this is a rule of thumb, a guideline etc. Use at your discretion! Or not!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

outdoordb
Explorer
Explorer
So it looks like to get the camper we want I will have to use my Wife's Ford Econoline E350 ( The Suburban has a much better ride and comfort.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm pulling a 27 with a 1500 Suburban. The only issue would be weights. My wet weight is in the realm of 6800 (dry 5800). The burb does OK. I added Sumo SuperSprings to the rear and love, love, love them. Wouldn't tow more than around the block without them. Make sure you're within your weights. I imagine that the average 31 might be pushing the stock limit on weights, depending on your model Suburban. Don't assume anything. Look for placards that give specific numbers. The door jamb on the burb will tell you your weights. Then find the placard on the trailer that give the dry weight. Then add for the extra stuff you'll carry. I add a 1000 to be safe. I know we are well under that, it's just the two of us and a couple of pug dogs.

Make sure you service that differential. For some reason they don't seem to have the longevity you might expect. I service my transmission at every oil change, that is I do a drain and fill. It takes 4 quarts, or so. I keep my fluid fresh. It's cheap insurance. The 4L60e gets a bad rap but when serviced properly it holds up as good as any.