cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV park recommendation RGV for two weeks in April?

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're looking to spend a couple of weeks exploring the Rio Grande Valley in late April on our way home from Tucson. Always looking for alternatives for our winter destinations. My folks centered their southern winter travels around the RGV, but we were never great fans of their small, tight RV park in Harlingen. We are not all that interested in manicured parks with lots of amenities and activities. Our sweet spot is a park with room between sites, green, with some trees or palms. A pool would be nice that time of year, but not a requirement. As for location, we'd prefer something in the Harlingen area or west towards McAllen. Having said this, we certainly wouldn't rule out other locations in the valley. Any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW
11 REPLIES 11

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
her&I wrote:
Itching2go wrote:
Thanks, all, for the good advise and suggestions. After spending some time looking over campground options on Allstays and RVparkreviews, we're leaning towards Tropic Winds in Harlingen as it appears to be a good central location to explore the valley. Please feel free to advise if you think there may be a better option for us. And also, we'd appreciate any recommendations as to good restaraunts or sights to see in the area beyond those already offered up. I do recall one particular BBQ place in the area that we really enjoyed several years ago with my folks, but for the life of me, can't recall the name. I believe it had "Longhorn" in it somewhere, but not sure. It was in a fairly large standalone building, with a range of sauces that we'd purchase to take home. If anyone recognizes this, please pass it along. And then there's Pepe's. Hope it's still open. ?? Our thanks in advance.
The Longhorn Steakhouse might be the one you are referring to. It is in San Benito just past the turn off to Fun N Sun RV Resort. Pepe's had a flood a few years back and is not open.

The Longhorn Cattle Company.
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'16 Chevy Silverado - M&G Brake System
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone? - Bob Dylan

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
Itching2go wrote:
Thanks, all, for the good advise and suggestions. After spending some time looking over campground options on Allstays and RVparkreviews, we're leaning towards Tropic Winds in Harlingen as it appears to be a good central location to explore the valley. Please feel free to advise if you think there may be a better option for us. And also, we'd appreciate any recommendations as to good restaraunts or sights to see in the area beyond those already offered up. I do recall one particular BBQ place in the area that we really enjoyed several years ago with my folks, but for the life of me, can't recall the name. I believe it had "Longhorn" in it somewhere, but not sure. It was in a fairly large standalone building, with a range of sauces that we'd purchase to take home. If anyone recognizes this, please pass it along. And then there's Pepe's. Hope it's still open. ?? Our thanks in advance.
The Longhorn Steakhouse might be the one you are referring to. It is in San Benito just past the turn off to Fun N Sun RV Resort. Pepe's had a flood a few years back and is not open.

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Parks in the Alamo/Weslaco area are a little better located for access to Nuevo Progreso and South Padre Island than those to the west. A great time of year for the Island and the Harlingen/San Benito area is even closer. Fun and Sun in San Benito is a big park with lots going on. Even at that time of year.
Fun and Sun has every amenity that you could ask for but the shows and entertainment will have slowed down by the middle of April.

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Itching2go wrote:
We're looking to spend a couple of weeks exploring the Rio Grande Valley in late April on our way home from Tucson.

April is a good time to catch the Cactus in bloom. Check out the World Birding Center on the west side of Harlingen for a good example.

I agree..

WHERE IS THE LIKE BUTTON.?

even Trade Winds in Mission.. with many departing.. I/we have a lot more elbow room ๐Ÿ™‚

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Itching2go wrote:
We're looking to spend a couple of weeks exploring the Rio Grande Valley in late April on our way home from Tucson.

April is a good time to catch the Cactus in bloom. Check out the World Birding Center on the west side of Harlingen for a good example.

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, all, for the good info and suggestions. We do appreciate it.

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in Tropic Winds in Harlingen right now. The sites are a good size with palm trees around. I'm certain there will be plenty of room here in April. Spots are opening up every day right now.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
What both said...

I will be departing Mission.. April 04.....

the park I am in.. March will be seeing over 70 trailers/Coaches heading Home.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Parks in the Alamo/Weslaco area are a little better located for access to Nuevo Progreso and South Padre Island than those to the west. A great time of year for the Island and the Harlingen/San Benito area is even closer. Fun and Sun in San Benito is a big park with lots going on. Even at that time of year.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the parks on Bentsen Palm Drive South near the World Birding Center, the National Butterfly Center and Benson Rio Grande State Park. This is just Southwest of Mission. a wide range of Parks from Deluxe to basic. You will not need reservations as many leave for home just before Easter.
pawatt