cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better skylight lids for class c

Dairyman_John
Explorer
Explorer
My Thor 22E has flimsy sky light/ vent covers. Last week on a 4200 mile trip we experienced a lot of crosswinds. That cased a lot of lifting and noise in the skylight/ vent covers. They were screwed down tight and I didn’t want to break them. Are there any covers available to replace these that are perhaps better quality? Thank you, John
16 REPLIES 16

Dairyman_John
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered some maxaires today, three to be exact. Went with the middle of the road. You can buy those things from $20 to over $300 with fans and remote control

Dairyman_John
Explorer
Explorer
I will let you know. I come from Connecticut before living in Utah. I see you guys were really getting weather. Hope you get power back soon.
I need to study my backwards skylight. Can you just move the hinge or do you have to uproot the whole thing from the roof?
Thanks for all the good replies. Now I just need to practice posting pictures.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry I wasn't able to reply faster. Storm damage has forced us to open up and use the RV until we get power back. Another storm supposed to hit Wednesday
Anyway the front vent, the one over the cab opens to the rear. I agree with you if it opened forward it would rip off. This is going to be my first project too. Replace these flimsy vents. Let me know how you make out.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Fantastic Vent brand (now owned by Atwood) the domes have a life time warranty, be sure and remember that when it breaks or cracks.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Dairyman John wrote:
Reading about the Maxaires. Do they just go over top of the old ones? The dimensions seem funny.

The 1200T did.

Dusty

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
how to install a Maxx Air cover
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
That one vent cover hinged the wrong way absolutely must be turned so the hinge is forward. Any kind of additional cover requires it properly oriented or the additional cover will also face the wrong way which will be a disaster.

I bought cheap Aero-Flo over-the-vent vent covers from Walmart on-line and picked up at the store for $30 each. I am told they do not hold up well to UV, but our rig is stored indoors. If stored outdoors, I would paint them to protect them from UV damage. The top half removes from the bottom half by removing a big screw, making for easy cleaning when needed.

Here is one installed on my rig. It worked great during a strong wind & rain storm, so well that I bought a second one for the bathroom vent, not yet installed. They are great for people with less money to work with. I always seek the lowest cost, yet reliable solution.

One final consideration was that I needed a cover with a height that was not higher than the a/c unit or it would interfere with the garage door opening.

Dairyman_John
Explorer
Explorer
Reading about the Maxaires. Do they just go over top of the old ones? The dimensions seem funny.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I put a MaxxAir 1200T fan on an our mh. Really liked it. Then we traded the mh for a new one, and I went to get a new 1200T and found that they were no longer available.
Anyone know where I can find one, even a good used one would make me happy.
I tried to post a picture, no go.

Dusty

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Dairyman John wrote:
Docsouce, after reading everyone’s post I climbed up to measure skylights on my Thor 22E. The middle and back skylights open with the hinge on the front and oriented as per instructions on the dome. However the front skylight I’d backwards so when the lid goes up the wind would want to rip it off. Is this normal or could it have been put in backwards? Wondering if yours was the same? Looks like a big job to fix. If wrong that should be a warranty problem......?

That sounds like it was put on backwards. It's not that big a job to turn it around. I'd suggest adding Maxx Airs or something similar, over your vents. They are very easy to install.

Dairyman_John
Explorer
Explorer
Docsouce, after reading everyone’s post I climbed up to measure skylights on my Thor 22E. The middle and back skylights open with the hinge on the front and oriented as per instructions on the dome. However the front skylight I’d backwards so when the lid goes up the wind would want to rip it off. Is this normal or could it have been put in backwards? Wondering if yours was the same? Looks like a big job to fix. If wrong that should be a warranty problem......?

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
My current RV has the worst hatch lids of any RV I've ever owned. Perhaps they're all bad these days. I always intended to install Maxx Air covers on my previous RVs, but never got around to it. On this RV they were a necessity. About 4 years ago I put Maxx Air covers over all 4 roof vents, so any cracked corners on the covers are no longer a possible leak issue.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
There are "standard" and "premium" shower domes too.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the same RV and issue. When I take the winter cover off replacing these vent covers is one of my first projects. Thanks for posting and I appreciate these answers.
That sky light over the shower seems like it is made out of Suran wrap too. might just replace this and be done with it. We'll see.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!