cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hauling our motorcycle

Z3Driver
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use this or a similar rig to haul your bike?

https://theusatrailerstore.com/the-original-slick-wheelie-motorcycle-hauler/

Thanks,

Larry
2003 Beaver Monterey
Lawrence R Tarnoff
2003 Beaver Monterey
24 REPLIES 24

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
We towed a Honda VTX Cruiser (about 900 pounds) for a few years. I was out of room for toys and trailers at home, so I bought a folding trailer that was designed for three dirt bikes. I removed the two outer rails and added some aluminum diamond plate to the top. It was low to the ground and had jack stands on it, so I could load the bike without having the trailer attached to the RV. I had a nice cover that didn't damage the paint while towing and worked out great. It was about $700.00. When at home or even at the campground, it folded up and rolled around on dolly wheels. It was a great substitute for hauling the bike and not dealing with a big trailer.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed my ole Harley like that but back then I'd take the chain off. but now a days they have a belt. They are harder to deal with. I'd use a small motorcycle trailer
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

toolttime
Explorer
Explorer
I like my hydralift
2015 Thor Tuscany 45AT

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer only. A multi-purpose 12 x 6 ramp gate trailer only costs $1200.00 brand new, and you can always use it for other things too.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought a Logan Coach Silver Eagle enclosed motorcycle trailer that is absolutely fantastic for hauling two bikes and gear. I built my own lift for bringing my bike with me when double towing is not legal. I still have to either paint it or find someone to powder coat it. When it warms up I'll weld my hitch receiver onto the fiver.

motorcycle carrier
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
fourmat wrote:
Blutoyz wrote:
If you do any real miles you will definitely wear out your back tire. A Uhaul trailer is $15/day and works like a champ.
and it will get the **** beat out of it with stones bugs etc. Buy or rent a enclosed trailer

I never though about kicking up stones and such with the RV, I have only towed bikes when going out of state to pick up a new purchase. This is a good point if doing some real miles
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
Blutoyz wrote:
If you do any real miles you will definitely wear out your back tire. A Uhaul trailer is $15/day and works like a champ.
and it will get the **** beat out of it with stones bugs etc. Buy or rent a enclosed trailer
2009 Challenger

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
That will destroy the trans on an HD.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
A buddy of mine took one of the hitch mounted carriers like this:

and reworked it to make it more stable. He added two additional receivers to tied to the frame for more strength/stability. 3 slide in points now instead of one center mounted. Its worked well for him.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Larry,
We see many a year transporting MCs with a carrier like that. Works fine, no excessive tire wear, or other horror stories. Center of highway potholes? no. there aint.
Cant back up more than a couple of feet, cant tow a cvt ( constant variable transmission) scooter like our Suzuki Bergman, can tow our HD Electra Glide in neutral with no problem.
Max

Z3Driver
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, folks. Right now we are using a hitch mounted rack for our Honda scooter. Want to get a bigger bike. Probably will use our utility trailer.

Larry
Lawrence R Tarnoff
2003 Beaver Monterey

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using an Overbilt lift on the back of my MH. Handles the Harley just fine and still let me bring the car behind.
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
With that much added to the overhang it looks like it would be destroyed (possibly the bike too) the first time you went up a ramp or up into a raised driveway, gas station, etc.