cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wow Loud Genset

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
Fired up the genset on my recently acquired 2000 Itasca to check out the LED 32" TV I installed and WOW, is it ever loud. So loud that I had to turn up the TV volume in order to hear it. It's not the muffler but rather the motor running. Fortunately I have a 2000 Genset that's whisper quiet I can bring when camping.
24 REPLIES 24

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
road-runner wrote:
I call my built in generator the "micronoisy". I fire it up to run the microwave. For anything long term, like battery charging, I use a portable generator.

We're not full-timers - only hit and run a few times a year RV'ers - in our Class C Ford V10 powered motorhome.

Given our camping style, the absolute quietest non-solar way to top up our batteries is by idling the V10 main engine for an hour here and there. That's way quieter than even our ultra-low noise little Honda EX650 portable generator we always have with us.

HOWEVER as an aside ... I wouldn't spend big bucks for any motorhome with a too-loud built-in generator in it. Those $$$ Onan generators cost way too much to tolerate a poor noise-abatement install by a motorhome manufacturer ... they need to do better with their Onan installs.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seon wrote:
I have a 1750w inverter that I'll install when I have time but for this weekend trip, I'll use the 2K generator.

My post merely pointed out the MH genset is loud...but should have included, "Compared to my 2K and Honda EU3000iS generators".

Geez, tough crowd :B.
I call my built in generator the "micronoisy". I fire it up to run the microwave. For anything long term, like battery charging, I use a portable generator.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1750w inverter that I'll install when I have time but for this weekend trip, I'll use the 2K generator.

My post merely pointed out the MH genset is loud...but should have included, "Compared to my 2K and Honda EU3000iS generators".

Geez, tough crowd :B.

MrWizard
maybe when he moves the RV outside, it won't sound so loud
could be a big difference
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
So I guess the inverter idea is out.

Yep.
I guess it would be useless to ask "why", in this case.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
So I guess the inverter idea is out.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
My MH is parked in the barn some distance from electricity and today just mounted a 32" Samsung LED flat screen TV. To test my installation I fired up the Onan MicroQuiet 4000 genset and that's when I realized how loud it is/was. I don't think I'll remove/sell it because it'll run the roof a/c but as mentioned I have a 2K generator that I'll use when dry camping so that the wife can watch TV while I go fishing.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Running a generator to watch tv every day is just, well, sacrilegious.

I agree 100% ... depending upon what exactly you meant:

1. Watching TV every day is sacrilegious,

OR

2. Running a generator to do it is sacrilegious.

๐Ÿ˜‰ and :B

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Running a generator to watch tv every day is just, well, sacrilegious.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrWizard wrote:
I consider the convenience of a remotely started built-in RV generator fueled from the main tank to be just about priceless. I'd certainly try everything in the book to quiet it down before eliminating it. Your built-in generator may be the most expensive single item in your coach ... it should be made to be as usable and tolerable as possible.

yes..this

The question still remains :)... why running a generator for watching TV (and trying to make this tolerable), when it can be easily done through the battery.

MrWizard
I consider the convenience of a remotely started built-in RV generator fueled from the main tank to be just about priceless. I'd certainly try everything in the book to quiet it down before eliminating it. Your built-in generator may be the most expensive single item in your coach ... it should be made to be as usable and tolerable as possible.

yes..this
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe we're more noise-tolerant, but we've run our ONAN (A Microquiet 4KY which is probably what's in this Itasca) and it was certainly bearable. In addition to sound insulation blanketing, look and see if the generator or the cage it's mounted in, is properly isolated from the frame/body of the Coach. Ours is mounted on rubber "cookies." If one of those collapsed, a lot of vibration and associated noise would transfer to the coach.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
CharlesinGA wrote:
Get a 12v DC TV. Then you won't need the generator or inverter.

They already have 110V TV. Even if they hadn't, - or were using some old model that draws a lot of power - a new 32" flat screen can be found for less than $200. 12V flat screens typically cost more, apples to apples.

Two 2-hour movies will draw 6 or 7 AH from the battery. If they buy 300W inverter, they might get away with whatever battery they already have. Or indeed, add one more battery.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Onan is right under the dinette in our Itasca, but the floor is thickly carpeted. Our Onan is not that loud ... we can sit at the dinette and eat with the Onan below us running w/o being driven out. I also use a special spark plug in it, which has smoothed out it's sound so it sounds "less labored" (hard to explain), and thus quieter.

Before getting rid of your built-in generator, you should consider lining it's compartment walls with good marine-grade fireproof sound proofing material like what is used in boats to help absorb main engine and generator noise in their compartments. Maybe also throw a rug on the ground under your RV's generator to absorb some of it's downward exiting sound so it doesn't bounce straight back up towards the floor of the RV so much. There's even higher quality vibration isolation mounts for generators that could be retrofitted into your generator's mounting frame to help reduce vibration in the RV's structure when the generator is running.

For what it's worth - we once ran our Class C's Onan nearly all night when drycamping in extreme heat and humidity conditions that we had no choice but to somehow endure. We were both able to get a good night's sleep. That experience made a believer out of me.