cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1988 Ford Lazy Daze with 97 km: too old?

coachellacanuck
Explorer
Explorer
We are snowbirds in need of an inexpensive Class C to make the trip between Alberta and California, south in October and north in May.

Came across this one and here is what I know about it from the Craigslist listing.

26 ft long
V8 5.7 L engine.
Automatic

•replaced the front tires and two back tires
•installed a new brake hardware kit
•replaced the valve system
•rebuilt the tire pressure monitoring system
•balanced the wheel spin
•installed a new water pump
•new starter with life time warranty

It’s $3000.
The current owner is the third owner and bought it to remodel so the flooring and furniture has been removed which is ok by us because we want to remodel as a mobile office.

I have to think it will get about 10 miles per gallon. How does that compare to newer Class Cs, do you think?

I would have it inspected mechanically but I’m wondering what problems these units may be known for?

As always, thanks in advance for any advice
12 REPLIES 12

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
We bought one last aug, was not a bad price, and the owner had brought it to a local Ford dealer to have the safety check done about a year before we picked it up, from what i could see was that it had all the brakes re done, new flex hoses, 6 new tires, hanger bearing and u joint..
so i figured it wouldn't be too bad.. had it re safetied to put in in our name with no problem other than having to fix clearance lights and tail light, (normal issues), had it out a couple of times and then found we had major rot to deal with... still in the process of fixing all that now, but it coming along slowly,
hoping to have it all back together for may... ours btw only have 52,000 miles with a ford 460ci

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
coachellacanuck wrote:
We are snowbirds in need of an inexpensive Class C to make the trip between Alberta and California, south in October and north in May.

Came across this one and here is what I know about it from the Craigslist listing.

26 ft long
V8 5.7 L engine.
Automatic

As always, thanks in advance for any advice

I don't know where you plan to stay in California. Many urban areas are currently experiencing a very high volume of older RV's parked on public roadways which are being used as housing for the homeless. (they really aren't homeless if you consider your RV as your home temporary or not) That said, those RV's that appear to be in less than pristine condition tend to quickly attract the attention of local law enforcement. If you plan on staying in higher end RV parks you may have issues with the "10 year rule" if your vehicle doesn't appear to be well cared for. If you plan to boon dock at BLM sites or other less regulated open land, you may avoid most of the above issues.

Chum lee

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If it were us, I would find a way to buy a much newer rig for the usage you are planning. If the seller is completely honest about repairs and replacements made, that is a good thing. Brakes are very important, the flexible front brake lines should have been replaced, they can fail internally causing loss of steering control, brake fluid should be flushed/replaced as old fluid may have collected moisture which causes brake fade on grades. Make sure RV generator starts and runs well with roof AC working. House batteries and converter charger must work well for electronic appliance controls, furnace blower, fresh water pump and interior lighting. Engine cooling system including radiator must function properly or engine will overheat on grades. Don't want to be a "wet blanket" but don't want you to be stuck somewhere needing seriously expensive repairs.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
1988 Ford, it will be a 5.8 (351) and by '88 they were all fuel-injected. Expect typical mechanical issues common on a 30 year old vehicle. Whether it will be reliable enough for you to snowbird with is really up to your expectations, how much work you will do yourself and how much you are willing to pay others to do repairs and maintenance. During that time period, vehicles were in that sort of purgatory where they depended on electronics and computers to make them run, but before they had the standard OBD2 diagnostics. House condition is probably even more important, but Lazy Daze are among the best built, so it's much more likely to be in acceptable condition than other motorhomes of that vintage.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
I would be more concerned about tires, belts, hoses, rusted brake lines anything that could deteriorate due to its age. Then as others have suggested also look for water damage.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The age really isn't a concern. It's the condition.

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
we also have a 1977 e350 based motor home, runs good, but again look for any signs of water leaks, or you could end up with a lot of work on your hands

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Mallard on a 1988 E-350 with the 460 V-8, that was the first year that 460 was port injected.

Dusty

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Our '93 350 Chev. 21 foot class C gets 10.5 mpg on the highway at 60-65 miles per hour. The one you're looking at though is a carburetor. If you could find a little newer with fuel injection I think that would be helpful.
Brian

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Anything that old I would have auto mechanic check it out and have it pressure tested to determine whether it's leaking. Depending on the maintenance your likely going to have to replace, hoses, belts, plugs, distributor, fluids etc.
Kevin

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
That's an excellent brand, but I doubt you will see anywhere near 10 mpg, as the 5.7 is way undersized/underpowered, unless you drive 55, plan on 5-6 mpg.

That said, the 5.7 is arguably one of the best engines Detroit has ever produced. But... you are talking about a 30 year old motor home, and sight unseen, it's really impossible to tell whether it's a great buy or a money pit.
-- Chris Bryant

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
The big question is how is the roof? Roof leaks are the big killers of all RV's water gets in, spreads far more than one would think and causes rot which is often far more extensive than the small stains that you may see inside. As a rule of thumb if you see ANY water spots on the ceiling walk (run) away. Many class C's have leaks around the over cab bed windows.