Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new RV (with questions)

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi All,

After a month hunting (and dealing with various dealers), I finally bought a 2 years old RV Winnie Minnie 22R (discount over a new one is the only reason why I choose a used one).

https://thumb.ibb.co/h2Ldt7/20180218_085639_HDR.jpg

I appreciate if you can help answering the following questions:

1. I owned a similar model but it was 15 years old. My old RV (on Ford E450) has a door remote. This 2016 RV doesn't have remote. Is this normal?
2. The seller only provide 1 set of key. Walmart and Lowes cannot make key for the storage/entry door. Where do you recommend me to go to make a replacement keys?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
1. I owned a similar model but it was 15 years old. My old RV (on Ford E450) has a door remote. This 2016 RV doesn't have remote. Is this normal?

At first I had no idea what you were talking about. Thought you were talking about the coach door and I was like, "They have remotes for those?" Then I realized you are talking about the cab doors. LOL mine is so old we don't even have electric door locks or windows! 🙂

2. The seller only provide 1 set of key. Walmart and Lowes cannot make key for the storage/entry door. Where do you recommend me to go to make a replacement keys?

We went to an actual locksmith to have the funny keys duplicated.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:
I'm an amateur locksmith. When we bought a 4 year old MH in 2008, I found the appropriate key blanks in my collection. Recently I needed a spare key for a Toyota and didn't have a blank so I went to the hardware store and looked for on. It was difficult because the Toyota key I wanted to copy has a fancy plastic remote covering the key number. It took a few minutes to find a likely key blank and it fit the door. It has the key number on it so I could order more blanks on eBay.

Hillman TR 47 ? That is the plain brass blank that my Pontiac Vibe uses (same car as a Toyota Matrix) I put the original keys away, mine had separate remotes and keys with large plastic heads. I do not use the remotes on it, as I open the doors with the key, like I have done for the past 46 years on other cars.

Motorhome is the first vehicle I have had that I actually use the remote as it has the folding key/remote combo and the cab and coach doors lock together.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I'm an amateur locksmith. When we bought a 4 year old MH in 2008, I found the appropriate key blanks in my collection. Recently I needed a spare key for a Toyota and didn't have a blank so I went to the hardware store and looked for on. It was difficult because the Toyota key I wanted to copy has a fancy plastic remote covering the key number. It took a few minutes to find a likely key blank and it fit the door. It has the key number on it so I could order more blanks on eBay.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
If your rig has electric locks, then it likely has all that is necessary for remote door locks except the key fob. Buy replacement key fobs off of eBay or even Amazon. Follow this procedure.
How to Program a new Ford key FOB / Remote

Find a REAL locksmith. They make the keys you requested for your storage and entry doors.

Not that easy, you need the receiver unit. You can do an after market system.

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
Most locksmiths can cut you keys for the compartments, my local one did.

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
i ordered some cabinet/ mailbox locks off aliexpress for my underbelly doors, and they where all keyed the same, was going to order them off mcmacter-carr , the aliexpress ones look good and will work fine

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If your rig has electric locks, then it likely has all that is necessary for remote door locks except the key fob. Buy replacement key fobs off of eBay or even Amazon. Follow this procedure.
How to Program a new Ford key FOB / Remote

Find a REAL locksmith. They make the keys you requested for your storage and entry doors.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
As you probably noticed, your Winnebago storage lock keys are not the same as the ones typically found in other RVs. Contact Winnebago and ask them to supply you with another set. Good luck!

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
The door remote would add an expense to the rig I guess they didn’t want to add. As far as the storage key if it says 751 on it it’s the same key as 65% of all RVs. I changed mine to barrel locks with dust covers. Go to www.ch751.com, lots of options.