cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sonoyta /Lukeville crossing

Alison_and_Neil
Explorer
Explorer
have heard that the Pitquito / Caborca TIP building is closed and you hand the car permits in at immigration area near the border.....cannot remember kilometre marker.....10_?
Has anyone done this recently? Where do you park,what building, etc
This info would help a lot of travellers returning to USA this Spring

Cheers,Neil
34 REPLIES 34

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
This is a funny thread. In both Nuevo Laredo, the Reynosa/Rio Grande VAlley corridor, agents spend their free time doing data entry on returned FMMs and TIPS.

I don't need to do those things, but if I lived in the U.S. or Canada, I would make sure I followed the law. But that's just me and it has served me well during my lifetime here in Mexico. Some say I make a big deal out of it but I sleep well at night.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69
There used to be an address on the back that you could mail them to.

We quit turning ours in after being told in several places not to, the final straw being at Sonoyta and having the guy refuse to take them because, "they expire."

We no longer get FMM's so can't tell you the absolute latest. IF we had them, we'd not turn them in, but hang onto them just in case down the road someone wanted to see them.

Big_C
Explorer
Explorer
Well I am still confused about turning in the FMM. If you look at the back of it it says that it must be turned in. I understand that there is a very small office directly on the border at Lukeville. However there is certainly no place for a 40' RV towing to park. In the past we have always turned in our FMM and had our passports stamped. Any suggestions?
the 5C's
Big C & Mamma C
2 little c's (weiner dogs)
2001,39' RoseAir (Rexhall) DP with 2 slides
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
contessajewall,com

Janie_Ryan
Explorer
Explorer
Our time in San Carlos has been amazing. We'll definately be back!
Dennis & Janie Ryan,
RV - 2014 F150 4x4

Talleyho69
You have been through the worst, so hopefully it's over for you. Please don't cross Mexico off your visit list. You have just experienced the tip of the iceburg. This is an amazing country with so much to offer that we hope you return and continue your exploration.
We first visited Mexico in 1982, went from there, and now are living here permanently. We spent almost 30 years exploring the country and know it better than the USA. We'll continue, and hopefully you will too!

Janie_Ryan
Explorer
Explorer
We got it on-line - talked to the immigration office in Guaymus and they said it didn't have to be stamped. We only had to have one and it was as legal as a stamped document. So yay!
Dennis & Janie Ryan,
RV - 2014 F150 4x4

Talleyho69
Last we all knew, you didn't have FMM's, either. Did you get them? Where? Our current information states that you don't have to turn an FMM in. They simply expire.

Janie_Ryan
Explorer
Explorer
Having read this thread, I'm still confused where we turn in our FMM''s. We do not have a TIP as it was not required. Thanks
Dennis & Janie Ryan,
RV - 2014 F150 4x4

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Each underwriter sets their regulation concerning the lack of the insured having a Forma Migratoria Multiple

But there's a catch and it goes like this...

The FMM is one thing, the 180-day vehicle permit another.

The vehicle permit is valid only so long as the FMM is valid. No FMM, no TIP.

No tip, no coverage.

As per Jim Lewis of Lewis & Lewis.

Technically according to Aduana, visitor's vehicles to the non TIP areas such as the Bajas Californias are there illegally unless extraneous car licenses are current and and valid. If a vehicle is cited for an invalid license the underwriter can legally deny coverage. Aduana just pointed the necessity of having valid tags a week ago. Tijuana Garita 2.

Rules and reality often conflict. But knowing the law and obeying it will keep a person out of hot water.

Talleyho69
Yes, it is true that if you don't have the permits/visa/etc that are legally required, your insurance is null and void.
Don't know if you can get an FMM where you are now.
Anyone???

Janie_Ryan
Explorer
Explorer
I think I've reconfirmed from other travellers here in San Carlos, that the TIP is not required. However, we should have obtained the FMM. I've been told that without it, if we were in an accident, even though we have insurance, we wouldn't be covered. Is that true? Is there anyway to get an FMM from where we are now? Not sure what to do!!
Dennis & Janie Ryan,
RV - 2014 F150 4x4

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Mexico: It is never the same way twice. At one time you did not need the FMM if you were here for less than 72 hours. That changed a few years ago. All visitors beyond the frontera need an immigration permit. Either a residente or an FMM. It is free if the stay is short but you still need the form. I remember reading that it is due to some International agreement re terrorists. If this poster is not stopped by any immigration people or the cops he is good to go. But one never knows.

Moisheh

Talleyho69
If you are in Mexico for more than 72 hours, you need an FMM (visa).
However, if you don't have a stamp in your passport, who would know?

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Janie> You have been given false information. Your RV requires a 10 year permit. You need the FMM even if you only stay a few days. I do not remember the exact rule but I think 5 days is free for the immigration permit. However you still are supposed to have that permit. Personally I do not like going the Lukeville route. If there are any inspection stations before the US border that would be a problem. There is nothing from San Carlos to Nogales except a military inspection. Usually they do not ask for anything other than passport and I have never been asked for any permits. However they can ask for both your TIP and FMM. Perhaps others will add to this thread. I know that being in a foreign country can be intimidating but there are signs after you cross into Mexico telling you to stop for permits. Every guide book has that information including AAA. There is a sticky on this forum with a good explanation. If it's any consolation you are not the first nor will you be the last to make that mistake! Safety on your route is no problem as long as you do not drive at night!

Moisheh