cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sprinter Fuel Filler Opening

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
I just noticed something on our 2016 Sprinter that is different than the 2008 we had. The metal restrictor gizmo in the neck is gone. Previously, if you used a high volume diesel nozzle, you had to hold it in such a way that you don't spill fuel all over the place. Now I can shove that thing right down it's gullet. Did they remove that restrictor, or is it a missing item. Does not bother me, it all goes down fine with no backsplash. That is, unless you try to squeeze another few ounces in after the nozzle clicks off.
Steve
8 REPLIES 8

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Flarpswitch wrote:
The 2009 Navion was built on a 2008 Dodge Sprinter. That had the restrictor that would allow a regular diesel nozzle to be inserted, but the high volume nozzle had to be lined up and the tip held in place. Any misalignment assured diesel spraying on you. Our 2018 Navion is on a 2016 MB Sprinter chassis. The filler neck looks like there could be a restrictor plate installed. The two year difference is due to Winnebago using a MB Sprinter chassis built in 09/2016 and adding a 2017 Navion coachwork completed the second quarter of 2017. Nothing about it is 2018 if you go by the specs.

Sorry, I misread what you wrote. My 2006 chassis T1N based '07 View has a wide open filler neck and a large, high flow truck nozzle easily goes in, but I hate them as they cause much foaming of the fuel. I generally seek out diesel at the auto pumps and stay away from the truck pumps. Sometimes in rural areas you can get stuck with the large nozzle however.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
The 2009 Navion was built on a 2008 Dodge Sprinter. That had the restrictor that would allow a regular diesel nozzle to be inserted, but the high volume nozzle had to be lined up and the tip held in place. Any misalignment assured diesel spraying on you. Our 2018 Navion is on a 2016 MB Sprinter chassis. The filler neck looks like there could be a restrictor plate installed. The two year difference is due to Winnebago using a MB Sprinter chassis built in 09/2016 and adding a 2017 Navion coachwork completed the second quarter of 2017. Nothing about it is 2018 if you go by the specs.
Steve

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Flarpswitch wrote:
I just noticed something on our 2016 Sprinter that is different than the 2008 we had. The metal restrictor gizmo in the neck is gone. Previously, if you used a high volume diesel nozzle, you had to hold it in such a way that you don't spill fuel all over the place. Now I can shove that thing right down it's gullet. Did they remove that restrictor, or is it a missing item. Does not bother me, it all goes down fine with no backsplash. That is, unless you try to squeeze another few ounces in after the nozzle clicks off.

Your 2008 View/Navion/Gulfstream Mini Cruiser... whatever you had, would have been built on a 2007 Chassis. 2007 happens to be the only year that Mercedes fitted the Sprinters with a 3.5L GASOLINE engine (some Views and Navions had this motor) this gas model would have required by law, a restriction in the filler neck to prevent the insertion of the obsolete regular-leaded gasoline nozzle.

I would suspect that MB, by accident, fitted your old Sprinter with this gasoline filler neck with restrictor, by accident.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
midnightsadie wrote:
mines older 2007 but no plug. I ,ve never used a high volume hose.

You should give it a try. I can fill my tank in less than 40 seconds!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I checked it seems that Sprinters have only a 26.4 gallon tank.

That's OK, but not great. Wth a really decent tank size - like say 40 gallons on up - think how long one could go before having to fill up a Sprinter. Refueling range is especially important when traveling in the Western U.S.. The Ford and Chevy Class C rigs have a good range of around 500 miles.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Best thing about Sprinters. Huge tanks and high volume truck stop nozzle.

No restriction in my T1N sprinter either.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
mines older 2007 but no plug. I ,ve never used a high volume hose.

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
There was no restrictor in our 2014 Winnebago Via Sprinter.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)