cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nova Scotia and PEI

HHfundays
Explorer
Explorer
We will be traveling to Nova Scotia and Prince Island in July. We have 3ish weeks to explore the area and I'd like help with timing and campground suggestions. Here is my rough timeline:

1 day - Mocton
3 days- Advocate Harbor/Joggins area
4 days- Lunenburg - day trips to Annapolis Royal/Digby/Kejimkujik National Park
2 days Halfax/Peggy Cove
2 days- Louisbourg/Syndey
2 days - Cabot Trial
2 days-Baddeck
3 days- Charolttetown - exploring the Southern and Eastern section of PEI
3 days- Cavendish - exploring Northern and Western section of the Island
3 days - Bay of Fundy Area

Since I've never been here any suggestions are welcome. We are traveling in a 32ft motorhome and we tow.

Thanks in advance for your advice on the timeline and campgrounds!
Happy Trails...
7 REPLIES 7

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Coming from the north or west on approach to PEI, you might take the bridge first, do the north west of the Island, then move it east, check things out there, and you're set up for taking the ferry off the Island, and headed easily towards Cape Breton. Thus, you are saving yourself a lot of driving. On the Cabot Trail take time in an afternoon to visit the Glenora Distillery for a nice lunch and enjoy the music they usually play for the afternoon crowd. Taste their product, very much like the Scotch Whiskey from Scotland. In fact, that has been their main goal. The Bell Museum and Louisburg and more of the famous Cabot Trail will beckon before you head off to see the rest of Nova Scotia.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
HHfundays wrote:
We will be traveling to Nova Scotia and Prince Island in July. We have 3ish weeks to explore the area and I'd like help with timing and campground suggestions. Here is my rough timeline:

1 day - Mocton
3 days- Advocate Harbor/Joggins area
4 days- Lunenburg - day trips to Annapolis Royal/Digby/Kejimkujik National Park
2 days Halfax/Peggy Cove
2 days- Louisbourg/Syndey
2 days - Cabot Trial
2 days-Baddeck
3 days- Charolttetown - exploring the Southern and Eastern section of PEI
3 days- Cavendish - exploring Northern and Western section of the Island
3 days - Bay of Fundy Area

Since I've never been here any suggestions are welcome. We are traveling in a 32ft motorhome and we tow.

Thanks in advance for your advice on the timeline and campgrounds!

That's a very compressed timeline that will be fine for a scenic tour. Me thinks that once you get there, you will find that you wish you had more time to stop and smell the roses.

Have fun!

Oh, and you forgot Edward............. Lol
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
That's a lot of road time.
We always plan a few days off half way in the trip.
Take time of to sit and relax with a cold one or two. Do nothing, soon we're anxious to get going again.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
luckyd wrote:
A thought........
It is "FREE" to get onto PEI
It costs you to "LEAVE".

We travel with a 40 foot MH and tow.
We take the ferry across to the island
and the Confederation bridge coming back.
The bridge charges $15/axle so it will be $60.

Actually the toll is:

$47 first 2 axles
$8 for each add'l axle

Confederation Bridge Tolls
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

luckyd
Explorer
Explorer
A thought........
It is "FREE" to get onto PEI
It costs you to "LEAVE".

We travel with a 40 foot MH and tow.
We take the ferry across to the island
and the Confederation bridge coming back.
The bridge charges $15/axle so it will be $60.

pops49
Explorer
Explorer
Can't help much with your timing I always found that the timing thingie was good to give you a rough idea. As for campgrounds I am more familiar with Nova Scotia , Pick up a Doers and Dreamers Guide from the Provincial Tourism Bureau Full of great ideas . On the campground side we always enjoyed the Provincial Parks , of which there are several along your route. On the
Peggy's Cove area , we enjoy Graves Island , has some beautiful large 2 way hooks ups although most of the provincial parks are site only. The Cape Breton Island area is a treasure full of good ideas.
Our only experience in PEI is Twins Shores campground , great spot and close to most of what you need. If I can be more specific ,send me a PM . Enjoy
pops

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Dpn't get sp exact in your plan that you spoil the trip.

My timing will not be your timing. We each have things we like a bit more.

Get your visitors guides and provincial maps. Those prepared by the province are ever so much more related to the trip than any messed up commercial map.

& for heavens sakes. New Brunswick is special too. We all laugh at both Trump and Harper.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006