cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Liquid roof.....so many reviews, good and bad

mikhen
Explorer
Explorer
OK, spring project. Recoating EPDM roof with liquid roof, in particular, the one offered by EPDM Coatings. I've seen great reviews on this, but also some bad ones that never really mentioned the exact product used. I know, Lowes and HD has coating. I'd rather use something that is specifically made for RV's. Does anyone have experience with this?
26 REPLIES 26

mikhen
Explorer
Explorer
OP here.....If you are thinking about this and have questions,
goto Liiquid EPDM and use the Q&A. TONS of information there. My pictures, video, and testimonial are posted on their page, also.

MrWizard
liquid rubber is also a 2 part mix, says so right on the can

i used liquid roof, on the Alu roof of (2) MH's
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'll schedule to call and talk with them before ordering. Thanks.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Discdotr, looking at the application information on the site, Liquid Rubber can be applied to different substrates and materials. Where as the Liquid Roof, requires a catalyst and I believe when talking to them, it was only recommended for coverage over EPDM. They were very good to talk to and answered questions I had.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
As I recall "Liquid Roof" by this company is a product identical to their "Liquid Rubber". The only difference is that the "Roof" is marketed for RV and costs more, while "Rubber" is marketed for residential/commercial.

Can you confirm this info? I was expecting it to be something like this, perhaps a warranty issue?

MrWizard
all 'reflection' helps, but i don't know how much

but on an 80* day i can sometimes get by with fans, instead of A/C

on a hot day you have hot 'air temp' and are still going to need the A/C

today was 75* got by with fans and open windows, yes my roof is white

unless your roof is dark, more heat comes in from sun on the windows, than from the roof
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
ramyankee wrote:
Just curious??? Might these products have any effect on keeping an rv cooler?

Since they are bright white, they will reflect more solar heat than an old, discolored roof.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious??? Might these products have any effect on keeping an rv cooler?
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think there are many real rubber roofs today in RV or residential. They are either EPDM or some other synthetic.

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
I would warn folks who see a product that is for rubber roofs, read the fine print on the container. Lowes is carrying a high end 5 gallon bucket of sealer. After reading the fine print, if using on an EPDM rubber roof, a primer must be applied before coating which of course isn't available at Lowes.

Both Dicor and EPDM require a primer on most "rubber" roofs. Chuck

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would warn folks who see a product that is for rubber roofs, read the fine print on the container. Lowes is carrying a high end 5 gallon bucket of sealer. After reading the fine print, if using on an EPDM rubber roof, a primer must be applied before coating which of course isn't available at Lowes.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
mikhen wrote:
Recoating EPDM roof with liquid roof, in particular, the one offered by EPDM Coatings. I've seen great reviews on this, but also some bad ones that never really mentioned the exact product used. I know, Lowes and HD has coating. I'd rather use something that is specifically made for RV's.

It's all about adhesion to existing coating (and thickness). If the can mentions "EPDM", and your roof is EPDM, it should work.

As I recall "Liquid Roof" by this company is a product identical to their "Liquid Rubber". The only difference is that the "Roof" is marketed for RV and costs more, while "Rubber" is marketed for residential/commercial. Other products in stores are likely same composition too, but not sure about thickness/density.

mikhen
Explorer
Explorer
OP here......Thanks for all the great info. Like many of you, my roof doesn't leak, yet. There are a few spots that look like they could real soon. I did read the part on the website about Alpha coatings. I will try to find out what manufacturer my roof is. I heard the working time is only 2 hours and that worried me. Now I read here that its 4 hours. I guess the weather has a lot to do with that. Thanks again. Looks like I have my spring project lined up.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, I painted my roof with Liquid Roof quite a few years ago and posted about it here, with pictures.

Everything looked fine for a while but then after a couple of years I noticed the same kind of problem I think you are talking about. I contacted the manufacturer and posted about their response and my results Here, with more pictures. My roof looks perfect now and has shown no deterioration at all.
I would highly recommend the Liquid Roof product based on my experience with both it and the manufactures customer service.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine