cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1st time buyer (TT)

Bammer4
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking at buying a new TT this weekend and I wanted to know from experienced RVers what kind of little things we should look for in the TT. Ya know like things only ppl who have done this for years would know to look for.

Also anyone know a good site where we can find a lot of detail about the TT we are looking at? (Construction type, frame spacing, etc.)

In case anyone wants to know we are looking at"
~Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L
~Tracer Breeze 26DBS
~Sunset Trail Super Lite SS262 BH
~Revere 27BH

Thanks in advance,
Overwhelmed Newbies
29 REPLIES 29

Bammer4
Explorer
Explorer
Well we picked up our TT a couple weeks ago. Stayed in it in the driveway. Had a reason storm and unfortunately learned a lot of water on to the bed. Found out there was a quarter sized hole in the seal. Now we found the wood was stripped where the screws for the table leg cups. First trip is a one night stay at a KOA.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
DoberGirl50 wrote:
I'm relatively new to RV'ing as well so I took my time looking at tons of options and gravitated to what 'felt' right according to how I knew I'd use it. My first pick is a fifth wheel with front living, but I didn't have the right TV. My second pick and ultimate purchase is a 37' TT with rear living, kitchen island and three slides. My fiancรฉ and I didn't care about outdoor kitchens/televisions or bunks. We're super happy with what we ended up with, which is a 2015 Grand Design Reflection.

your floorplan is what my wife and i want in our next TT. our current is rear kitchen, one living room slide no bunk

DoberGirl50
Explorer
Explorer
I'm relatively new to RV'ing as well so I took my time looking at tons of options and gravitated to what 'felt' right according to how I knew I'd use it. My first pick is a fifth wheel with front living, but I didn't have the right TV. My second pick and ultimate purchase is a 37' TT with rear living, kitchen island and three slides. My fiancรฉ and I didn't care about outdoor kitchens/televisions or bunks. We're super happy with what we ended up with, which is a 2015 Grand Design Reflection.

JohnyWalter
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
Take specific note of sound deadening upon entering and compare trailers. Shopping on a rainy day is particularly effective. Goes to insulation quality. Large storage compartments. Can you get to the bathroom without putting the slide out more than a little. Can you get past the fold out bed in the kitchen area while deployed. Ducted heat and air. Extra room in the bathroom (corner baths tend to have more). Access to utilities like water heater, converter, heat, plumbing, electrical (you WILL be looking for these at some point, trust me). Try out the beds for function and placement, they won't be comfy but they should be solidly built. Fit and finish.
And most of all, think about the layout and if it will work for you for more years than you think you'll need it. Kids, guests, etc. Run everything on board, all utilities and doors and drawers...everything. There will be surprises but you can minimize the obvious ones.

This is definitely good suggestion and tips.
I was thinking how to do it with my big size fold out bed.And here is good solutions in this topic.
Many thanks for useful reply.
Johny

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
postmandug wrote:
trailer_newbe wrote:
TV willing of course, donโ€™t go too small and if itโ€™s going to have one slide out do not go with an 18โ€ slide, 3โ€™ only.

And why is that oh wise one? We have a 22.5' TT with an 18" slide and it's perfect for us. we can even leave the slide in and access EVERYTHING in the trailer.

Glad it was perfect for you. An 18โ€ slide w/ Wife and two dogs was not good for us. Everyone was tripping over each other. 3โ€™ slide was a huge difference. If I had to say what my #1 mistake was when purchasing our first TT was not seeing that an 18โ€ slide simply wasnโ€™t going to work for our needs. Jayco White Hawk line completely dumped the 18โ€ slide for 2018.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

mycamperfriend
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds all too familiar. I was in the same situation a couple of years ago and decided a while ago to help fellow (newbie) campers find their way. Check out my site below. Hope this helps. Enjoy your new hobby!!!
Michael
RV Camping Pro - Camp more, worry less.
MyCamperFriend.com

Bammer4
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Congratulations! Michigan is full of great campgrounds and state parks to enjoy. You can get plenty of good advice from the people on this forum to help make your RV experience even better.

What are you pulling the TT with?

2017 F150

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Take specific note of sound deadening upon entering and compare trailers. Shopping on a rainy day is particularly effective. Goes to insulation quality. Large storage compartments. Can you get to the bathroom without putting the slide out more than a little. Can you get past the fold out bed in the kitchen area while deployed. Ducted heat and air. Extra room in the bathroom (corner baths tend to have more). Access to utilities like water heater, converter, heat, plumbing, electrical (you WILL be looking for these at some point, trust me). Try out the beds for function and placement, they won't be comfy but they should be solidly built. Fit and finish.
And most of all, think about the layout and if it will work for you for more years than you think you'll need it. Kids, guests, etc. Run everything on board, all utilities and doors and drawers...everything. There will be surprises but you can minimize the obvious ones.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! Michigan is full of great campgrounds and state parks to enjoy. You can get plenty of good advice from the people on this forum to help make your RV experience even better.

What are you pulling the TT with?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Bammer4
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the great info. We ended up getting a KZ Connect C261RL at the RV show. We should be getting it end of April/ beginning of May. Very excited.

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP you have found the greatest resource of RV information here. Ask your questions here and you will get a wide range of good answers.

I bought my TT new after looking at many and had it with few issues and no regrets over 10 years. I didn't know anything about Rv's or camping just saw them at the boat show and decided to get one. My family now has many fond memories from the travels and locations.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
postmandug wrote:
trailer_newbe wrote:
TV willing of course, donโ€™t go too small and if itโ€™s going to have one slide out do not go with an 18โ€ slide, 3โ€™ only.

And why is that oh wise one? We have a 22.5' TT with an 18" slide and it's perfect for us. we can even leave the slide in and access EVERYTHING in the trailer.

I'm not a wise one, but I'll throw a comment in on this.

I have a 3' deep slide in this trailer. My thought is if I am going to have the complexity and potential problems of a slide, I want it to give me the max added space it can.

postmandug
Explorer
Explorer
trailer_newbe wrote:

2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Ford F250 w 6.7L Turbo Diesel, 3.73 rearend

โ€œAnd into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soulโ€

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL