Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WFCO converter keeps blowing 30 amp fuse

scubadvr
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Very new to here and a recent purchase of a used '13 Jayco Swift SLX 154bh. I am having an issue with my converter. I have the WF-8735-P. Everything was working fine until I had a 30 amp outlet installed out side my house. The first time I plugged into the new outlet I heard a pop from the converter. The 30 amp fuse for the power keeps blowing. I disconnected from the battery and tried just plugging into the outlet, nothing. Battery still disconnect and used an adapter to plug into a standard house outlet, nothing. If I hook up the battery again and try to connect the fuse, I get sparks and the fuse goes again. I have now blown 5 fuses trying to track the issue down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
51 REPLIES 51

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you talking about a 30 amp fuse on the converter?>>> on a Blade type fuse on the 12 volt side of life.

The converter is 35 amps. the fuse 30.. There shoudl be a 2nd fuse or perhaps it was supposed to be a 40 amp. though I suspect a 2nd fuse.

Note if you have two fuses both must be replaced at teh same time with the converter OFF during replacement.. For at least 30 minutes.

Another thing that can turn that fuse(s) into Pop-a-matics is reverse install of the battery.

They are after all called "Reverse Polarity Fuses".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
tylrphx wrote:
Hey Guys. I made the mistake of connecting my battery in reverse. I was expecting the fuse to blow but it did not. I replaced the 40 AMP protection fuse on the WF-8735P but no luck. Dealer service told me it was a fried Converter. I just bought this Jay Flight SLX 154 last month. it's a 2018. I made note of all of your suggestions in this thread. While I am confident I can replace the part described earlier, will that void any other part of my warranty? Thanks in advance.

You will get more responses if you start a new thread. Just above the list of existing threads it says "Post New Topic". Click there, and post your question. And welcome to the forums!
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

tylrphx
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys. I made the mistake of connecting my battery in reverse. I was expecting the fuse to blow but it did not. I replaced the 40 AMP protection fuse on the WF-8735P but no luck. Dealer service told me it was a fried Converter. I just bought this Jay Flight SLX 154 last month. it's a 2018. I made note of all of your suggestions in this thread. While I am confident I can replace the part described earlier, will that void any other part of my warranty? Thanks in advance.

scubadvr
Explorer
Explorer
I've spent a good hour with the cover off. Only found one fuse, tested and appears to be good. But I will get another tomorrow to confirm.

Thanks again for all the help.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I did an autopsy on a dead microwave. When I unwound the windings in the transformer, I found a blown fuse buried deeply. I donโ€™t believe it was heat protection, rather just a way to hose the consumer.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
BOTH fuses are inside the microwave

• Remove entire microwave from it's mounting
  • Remove the cover
  • The screws may be SECURITY type TORX. You will need a specific tool to remove them
  • USE CARE when digging around on the circuit board
  • High voltage capacitors can retain annoying amounts of zapping power
  • Not a hazard unless you like jabbing your fingers haphazardly
  • You are looking for glass tubular fuses similar to old-fashioned car fuses
  • With strong lighting and reading glasses look at the center fuse element
  • Is it broken or is the fuse glass blackened?
  • Replace both fuses if faulty
  • Bench test with cover off. If good, blow dust and grime off the circuit board with compressed air and install
  • It is not evil to rescue an appliance and save $100+

scubadvr
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Many microwave ovens have 2 fuses -- one for power 2nd for controls

Would the 2nd fuse be inside the MW? I've pulled it out, and tried it in the house as well with no luck.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If all you lost is the MW and the converter/charger, you were pretty lucky.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Many microwave ovens have 2 fuses -- one for power 2nd for controls

scubadvr
Explorer
Explorer
Update. Installed new Progressive Dynamics PD4135. All wiring appears to be good. Other than frying the converter, looks like the microwave is done too. Fridge and AC are good. Think I am pretty lucky.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cydog15 wrote:
full_mosey wrote:
I had an 8735P that stopped charging. There is NO drop-in replacement or bottom section. I replaced it with a 8740P because I was time constrained. This will be my last WFCO ever.

Furthermore, I'm done with converter/chargers. I will do what it takes to install separate components, including the AC distribution.

HTH;
John

Sorry to hear that. If you would have got with Bestconverter and not listened to the "internet experts," you'd be done with this. They all have certain expectations for themselves that thy think you should conform to for your camping habits without knowing how you camp. Everybody that is an expert is a boon docking expert somehow. I'd talk to best, they have the answers.
What? The OP just called Randy and was sold virtually the same thing.
This while there were several recommendations for a deck mount replacement... separate component.

Your post describes the exact opposite of what happened in this thread.

Cydog15
Explorer
Explorer
full_mosey wrote:
I had an 8735P that stopped charging. There is NO drop-in replacement or bottom section. I replaced it with a 8740P because I was time constrained. This will be my last WFCO ever.

Furthermore, I'm done with converter/chargers. I will do what it takes to install separate components, including the AC distribution.

HTH;
John

Sorry to hear that. If you would have got with Bestconverter and not listened to the "internet experts," you'd be done with this. They all have certain expectations for themselves that thy think you should conform to for your camping habits without knowing how you camp. Everybody that is an expert is a boon docking expert somehow. I'd talk to best, they have the answers.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer

HTH;
John

Cydog15
Explorer
Explorer
scubadvr wrote:
Again, thank you all for your input and help. I just got off the phone with Randy and he is sending a:

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD-4135-35-Amp-Power-Center_p_612.html#.WnSnKJ3wbIU

I am also going to be investing in a:

http://www.bestconverter.com/EMS-HW30C-30-Amp-Hardwired-EMS-with-Remote-Display_p_511.html#.WnSnZJ3wbIU

You did the right thing there dude.