cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas or Diesel?? which is better

LarryDel
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to upgrade our travel trailer to a Class A motorhome and plan to travel extensively around the United States. We have been told by folks with diesel pushers that we "must" purchase a diesel pusher or we will not be able to cross the mountainous states, e.g. Rockies. Is it true that you need a diesel pusher or can a Class A Gas motorhome suffice?
88 REPLIES 88

vadertime
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:

But for me....the journey is as much as the destination.

WW

Agreed. I traded in my gas for diesel so that I could make those long, road trips with confidence. See the USA, in my diesel Class A.
2004 Gulf Stream Crescendo 8356, CAT C7 300hp
1999 Fleetwood Bounder 30E, Fort Triton V10
1997 Hornet 25' TT
1984 Viking 35' Sports Fisherman, CAT 3270 x 2
-----------------------------
Keeper of my dreams...

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
TropicalRV wrote:
Larger coaches dictate a diesel, but you will pay big $$ for service and maintenance. Once you get to the campground, the gasser is just as quiet as the diesel.

But for me....the journey is as much as the destination.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Turbines are the wave of the future.Now, how do we mount the propeller?

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a lot of cars/suv's over the years. When my Uncle pasted away in 2012, my Dad inherited his 2002 Impala.

This car was 10 yrs. old and had about 70,000 miles. The air on that car was the COLDEST I've ever seen on a car. In the hot summer of 2012, I drove my 90+ yr. old Dad around in it and had to turn down the air because is was that cold when the outside temp was 100 and high humidity.

All of my cars have had really good air but I've never seen one like that Impala.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
MRUSA wrote:
Which is BETTER? A Cadillac is better than a Chevy. It is also more expensive. Likewise with a diesel vs gas coach except the diesel vs gas “more better” than the Cadillac vs Chevy.

A Cadillac is not better than a Chevy. It might have more unnecessary accessories or something that makes the owner feel somehow superior, but the reality is that both cars will drive very well and likely last just as long. The downside is the the over priced Cadillac will depreciate much faster.

Ya but they write songs about Cadillacs, but very few about Chevys. 🙂

Actually, I think the more advanced features that end up in Chevys started out in Caddys a few years earlier. I liked the 2 Caddys I've owned, but now I'm back to a Chevy that can be towed.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

TropicalRV
Explorer
Explorer
Larger coaches dictate a diesel, but you will pay big $$ for service and maintenance. Once you get to the campground, the gasser is just as quiet as the diesel.
Paul
2015 Tiffin Allegro 32SA, Ford V-10
2002 Honda CRV 2WD

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
MRUSA wrote:
Which is BETTER? A Cadillac is better than a Chevy. It is also more expensive. Likewise with a diesel vs gas coach except the diesel vs gas “more better” than the Cadillac vs Chevy.

A Cadillac is not better than a Chevy. It might have more unnecessary accessories or something that makes the owner feel somehow superior, but the reality is that both cars will drive very well and likely last just as long. The downside is the the over priced Cadillac will depreciate much faster.

I have driven Cadillacs since the mid 80's and love them. Changed to Jag for a very short time but back to Cad. I drove a Cadillac not too long ago and told the salesman it drove just like a Chevy Cruz. He said "it is almost the same as he CRUZ with a 4 cylinder motor."
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
MRUSA wrote:
Why buy either when you can camp all over the country in a tent and drive a Prius? Look at all the money you’ll save. Look at the gas mileage the little Prius gets.

Oh, that’s right, sometimes we decide to spend more money for a better experience! That is why people buy diesels instead of a gasser that can go all the same places for less money. So if saving money is paramount, get the gasser, or get a Prius and a tent. But if having the best driving and camping experience is the goal, you can’t beat a diesel pusher.

The diesel drives, rides and handles better, but it is also usually better even when parked. The diesel will normally have bigger water and waste tanks and more batteries so you can boondock longer. More storage. And the creature comforts such as heating, air conditioning, entertainment etc. are generally upgraded on the diesels as well.

So if you want the most in comfort and convenience, its the diesel. The gasser will get you there, but the diesel does it with more comfort, convenience, and style.

I will be honest, the difference in a gasser class A from a Prius (yuk) and a tent is a huge jump, but so is a gasser to a DP. If you want MOSTLY what a diesel will give you at 1/2 the cost overall, I do not see why a gasser wouldn't be an option. We bought a DP in 2013 at a HUGE cost, but in the end we like it a lot....but for the amount we are driving it, maybe a gasser isn't a bad way to go.

William
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
MRUSA wrote:
But if having the best driving and camping experience is the goal, you can’t beat a diesel pusher.

The diesel drives, rides and handles better, but it is also usually better even when parked. The diesel will normally have bigger water and waste tanks and more batteries so you can boondock longer. More storage. And the creature comforts such as heating, air conditioning, entertainment etc. are generally upgraded on the diesels as well.

So if you want the most in comfort and convenience, its the diesel. The gasser will get you there, but the diesel does it with more comfort, convenience, and style.

If you are interested in replacing your stock fuel tank on your truck for a larger tank i.e.50, 60, 75 gallons, you need to go with diesel. The larger auxiliary or replcement fuel tanks are not available for gas engines. There are some tanks available to carry in the back of your truck bed but you have to siphon or pump the fuel into your regular fuel tank. Diesel engines have more power when towing RV's, which is better when climbing hills and you have an exhaust brake or can have one installed. I would not tow an RV without an exhaust brake!

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Why buy either when you can camp all over the country in a tent and drive a Prius? Look at all the money you’ll save. Look at the gas mileage the little Prius gets.

Oh, that’s right, sometimes we decide to spend more money for a better experience! That is why people buy diesels instead of a gasser that can go all the same places for less money. So if saving money is paramount, get the gasser, or get a Prius and a tent. But if having the best driving and camping experience is the goal, you can’t beat a diesel pusher.

Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
soren wrote:
If you use the transmission properly, on any of the Ford gas chassis built built in the last 15 years, you can decend the biggest mountains in North America with both feet on the floor. As in cold brakes, and no drama at the bottom of the grade.

Soren, you are correct in that the V10-transmission combo does an excellent job however, your description is a bit misleading from my experience in our previous V10 powered motor home. We travel the western US Rocky Mountains extensively and our former V10 still needed a bit of proper snub braking coupled with proper transmission selection navigating some of the more aggressive grades. "Keeping both feet on the floor" all the way down would have been interesting!:E

I am not even going to try to compare gas vs. DP other than to say, our current DP with a multi-stage compression brake gets the job done. Huge difference in braking performance of the two. Different machines that still took us wherever we wanted go, just different ways to go about it.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Like the Aussies say. One or tother, either one will drive you batty.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
vadertime wrote:
The new rig's rear wheels are 6 feet further back and the front wheels are 3 feet further forward. So, this a 9 foot difference in wheelbase on a rig which is only 6 feet longer.

I have always noticed that on diesel pushers, there is much less overhang behind the back wheels. I always assumed it was because of the heavy diesel engine sitting right at the end of the motorhome. On a gas class A (at least on mine) the engine is basically sitting on top of the front axle.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

vadertime
Explorer
Explorer
Gator, it's funny you mentioned wheelbase. Yesterday while working on adding an additional 10 foot fresh water hose extension I noticed where my old Bounder's wheels were parked. The new rig's rear wheels are 6 feet further back and the front wheels are 3 feet further forward. So, this a 9 foot difference in wheelbase on a rig which is only 6 feet longer. However, the Bounder was listed as just under 18K lbs and this rig is listed at just under 28K lbs. Also, having the engine and transmission in the back might also account for the wheels being further back and thus the longer wheelbase. Yes, having owned many pickup trucks in the past, I know how longer wheelbases can improve the ride and handling. Good point.
2004 Gulf Stream Crescendo 8356, CAT C7 300hp
1999 Fleetwood Bounder 30E, Fort Triton V10
1997 Hornet 25' TT
1984 Viking 35' Sports Fisherman, CAT 3270 x 2
Keeper of my dreams...