cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you use your class A?

tealboy
Explorer
Explorer
The title may seem strange but what I’m trying to figure out is how do most of you use your Class A. Are you retired and spend 6 mos at a time traveling across the US? Retired and living full time or perhaps not retired, but living full time and running a business from it while traveling the US? Or, how many of you are still working full time and don’t have a lot of time to use it, but do one or two big trips a year and maybe 2-3 long weekend trips?

I’m asking bc I have the bug but just don’t feel like I have a lot of time to use one but maybe that’s bc the only thing I’m thinking about is traveling the US for months at a time, something I can’t do right now. Maybe there are other ways I can start getting into rving and just wondering how you use your unit.

Also, how many keep them at home vs in storage, rental lot?
42 REPLIES 42

tealboy
Explorer
Explorer
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:
Started off as weekend warriors in late 90's with a 5er, then March 2003 bought our gas A MH. So weekends plus an extra day or two where possible for fishing, kayaking, white water rafting and skiing in the winters generally. Coupled that with a 10 day easter trip most often to Vegas area and surrounds, and every two out of three years a summer trip of between 3 to 5 weeks. Used on average 40 to 60 days most years.

There have been odd times since 2011 (built a home in FLA where hubby lived in it during construction 2009/10), where we've not used it for over a year, and we have done weekend fishing for hubby within 2 hour drive, kids for ATVing and snowboarding weekends here and there. We've done lots of longer trips on some consecutive years, to Alaska, West Coast, East Coast, Colorado/Dakotas/Wyoming, Utah/Idaho Panhandle, across Canada from West To East Maritimes etc, and so on typically of 5 to 8 weeks. Now older and looking back grabbed where we could "just in case", covering 9 provinces, 47 states inc Alaska and Hawaii but now want to do it all again a lot, lot slower and savour small town Americana and natural beauty moreso.

Hubby desperate for a Tiffin/Newmar/Entegra DP, but I love our floorpan, know her intricacies, how to do maintenance and repairs cheaper than with a DP, and feel the old gal (14 years old) still has plenty of life in her, just gets to the top of the mountains a minute or several later LOL.

OP for what it's worth, and your personality will dictate what you decide, when we bought annual family passes for skiing when younger, we forced ourselves to go probably more weekends than we really wanted to because we'd paid the big bucks for them and wanted to get our "monies worth", so to speak. When we got our 5er and 3 years later the Gas MH we still have and personally wouldn't change back to any form of towable, albeit I cringed at the upfront cost at the time, yes we made the effort to use it more than we might have a cheaper form of camper so to speak. I'm actually grateful we forced ourselves to make these efforts in our lives as they've been enriched more than anyone else we know that "couldn't be bothered" so to speak.

What helped make it easiest for us to get more use and fun out of our RVs, than the many friends who bought and 3 years later sold them, citing "too tired after work to bother packing it all up blah, blah", is we've always packed our RV at the start of the season ready to go and only need to add in the food and drinks. When we winterize everything is put in two huge totes and stored after quick cleaning in the basement ready for the next spring. We even camp on occasion locally in -30, just not using the water tank.

Heck sometimes when we are locally within hour or two white water rafting or fishing for the day, we'll even take the RV to prep lunches, have showers etc and really ......... "just because we can" LOL.

Current plan: Now we've sold all our properties except the main acreage, hubby has turned 60 and retired totally and I am self employed we will be going on longer and longer trips (3 to 8 month plans) as well as a lot more several week neighbouring provinces and states on a slower "smell the roses" more type speed. When youngest daughter eventually finds her life partner we hope to then be totally full time in the RV living.

Obviously don't cripple yourselves financially but seriously "if" it's something you really want to do, are prepared to commit to making the effort to make the trips happen, and those close to you are equally enthused then for heavens sake DO IT! Life really is too short to wait, and we've witnessed way too many folks put things on hold til retirement that sadly never came!

Happy & Safe Travels

Great post, enjoyed this and so many of the different posts. Sounds like in this case, you still have the gasser 15 years later. Impressive.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Oops!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Started off as weekend warriors in late 90's with a 5er, then March 2003 bought our gas A MH. So weekends plus an extra day or two where possible for fishing, kayaking, white water rafting and skiing in the winters generally. Coupled that with a 10 day easter trip most often to Vegas area and surrounds, and every two out of three years a summer trip of between 3 to 5 weeks. Used on average 40 to 60 days most years.

There have been odd times since 2011 (built a home in FLA where hubby lived in it during construction 2009/10), where we've not used it for over a year, and we have done weekend fishing for hubby within 2 hour drive, kids for ATVing and snowboarding weekends here and there. We've done lots of longer trips on some consecutive years, to Alaska, West Coast, East Coast, Colorado/Dakotas/Wyoming, Utah/Idaho Panhandle, across Canada from West To East Maritimes etc, and so on typically of 5 to 8 weeks. Now older and looking back grabbed where we could "just in case", covering 9 provinces, 47 states inc Alaska and Hawaii but now want to do it all again a lot, lot slower and savour small town Americana and natural beauty moreso.

Hubby desperate for a Tiffin/Newmar/Entegra DP, but I love our floorpan, know her intricacies, how to do maintenance and repairs cheaper than with a DP, and feel the old gal (14 years old) still has plenty of life in her, just gets to the top of the mountains a minute or several later LOL.

OP for what it's worth, and your personality will dictate what you decide, when we bought annual family passes for skiing when younger, we forced ourselves to go probably more weekends than we really wanted to because we'd paid the big bucks for them and wanted to get our "monies worth", so to speak. When we got our 5er and 3 years later the Gas MH we still have and personally wouldn't change back to any form of towable, albeit I cringed at the upfront cost at the time, yes we made the effort to use it more than we might have a cheaper form of camper so to speak. I'm actually grateful we forced ourselves to make these efforts in our lives as they've been enriched more than anyone else we know that "couldn't be bothered" so to speak.

What helped make it easiest for us to get more use and fun out of our RVs, than the many friends who bought and 3 years later sold them, citing "too tired after work to bother packing it all up blah, blah", is we've always packed our RV at the start of the season ready to go and only need to add in the food and drinks. When we winterize everything is put in two huge totes and stored after quick cleaning in the basement ready for the next spring. We even camp on occasion locally in -30, just not using the water tank.

Heck sometimes when we are locally within hour or two white water rafting or fishing for the day, we'll even take the RV to prep lunches, have showers etc and really ......... "just because we can" LOL.

Current plan: Now we've sold all our properties except the main acreage, hubby has turned 60 and retired totally and I am self employed we will be going on longer and longer trips (3 to 8 month plans) as well as a lot more several week neighbouring provinces and states on a slower "smell the roses" more type speed. When youngest daughter eventually finds her life partner we hope to then be totally full time in the RV living.

Obviously don't cripple yourselves financially but seriously "if" it's something you really want to do, are prepared to commit to making the effort to make the trips happen, and those close to you are equally enthused then for heavens sake DO IT! Life really is too short to wait, and we've witnessed way too many folks put things on hold til retirement that sadly never came!

Happy & Safe Travels
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Retired and approaching my 80th birthday, my wife and I are preparing for our 15th season in our 2004 MH. We average about 6 months at home and 6 months in the coach. Our grown kids live in 4 different states so we like to visit them as often as possible with the least interference.

We also belong to a Military Veterans RV club, SMART (Special Military Active Recreational Travelers) SMARTRVING.org and have participated in seven SMART caravans. We usually make a winter trip south and/or west and a Summer trip to Minnesota where we grew up. As a result of our 14 years of Caravans and family trips we have had our coach in every US State (except Hawaii) and every Canadian Province. Many of them multiple times with 154,000 miles on the odometer.

Since most of our living expenses are fixed, I find our monthly costs are roughly the same at home or on travel. We are looking forward to a few more years of a very enjoyable lifestyle, god willing. The social side of SMART is most enjoyable and we have made many life long friends. I prefer the security and neighbors in Campgrounds and have only spent one night in a Walmart lot.
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I’m retired and living in Washington State, we take our coach out two weeks during the summer to the Pacific Ocean, then the coach sits until October when we head for the Southwest! This year we moved around more than usual 1-1/2 months at St. George, Utah, 1-1/2 months on the Parker, AZ. Strip, and now we’ve moved on to Palm Springs, CA. Which we are enjoying for the first time and have been exploring the area. Weather in Palm Springs is usually 10* warmer then Lake Havasu area. This coming week in Palm Springs it will be in the low 80*s. I’m enjoying this area very much lot’s to do!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
GHOST1750 wrote:
When our National Tradewinds is not in the shop for one thing or another we use it often. My wife is president of our RV club and when there is something going on we need to be there up and down the state. Once a year we try to go back to Old St. Charles, Mo to visit relatives in Mo. and Illinois and to get away from California. When it's in good health we try to use it a week every month. Wen I get it out of the shop this time I want to trade it in for a Newmar Canyon Star. If you own an RV it's a shame and a waste of money if you don't use it every chance you get.

Canyon Star, is a typical entry class M/H, hopefully they are built as well as the luxury coaches.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
When our National Tradewinds is not in the shop for one thing or another we use it often. My wife is president of our RV club and when there is something going on we need to be there up and down the state. Once a year we try to go back to Old St. Charles, Mo to visit relatives in Mo. and Illinois and to get away from California. When it's in good health we try to use it a week every month. Wen I get it out of the shop this time I want to trade it in for a Newmar Canyon Star. If you own an RV it's a shame and a waste of money if you don't use it every chance you get.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

Badlands
Explorer
Explorer
Retired, and we spend Oct - March as Winter Texans, then camp in various other northern locations during the other months. As others have said, it's been an evolutionary process; tents, pick-up camper, park model on a lake, travel trailers, and now, a Fleetwood Excursion 40E DP. Never did a 5th, and no desire at this stage of life to do anything other than our present ride.
Badlands

kginder
Explorer
Explorer
We just graduated from our wonderful class c to a Discovery LXE 40D 2018. (I need to upgrade my profile) And what an upgrade! My wife, family and I have gone from tenting all over the east, to pop-ups, to class b's, to trailers, to c's, to you name it. This is our dream vacation home. We're both still tied up working in our crumby full time jobs, but expect to bite the bullet and get out soon. The stinky green stuff keeps getting in the way.

But as a good buddy of mine said, "he ain't ever seen a Brink's truck pull in behind a hearse."

I've never been to the west coast. Never been to our mid section. Done business in Dallas. That's it. All of our traveling has been the east coast. We're hoping to start our adventure soon and see all of our wonderful country (and y'all) before we take our dirt naps.

Might need a few donations the way things are going...

debandi
Explorer
Explorer
We are retired and live in our motor home full time. We enjoy workamping in places we would like to visit. Workamping may give us a free site in exchange for a few hours of work at the Campground. We do taravel one or two months during the year visiting family and visiting parts of this wonderful country.
John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

tealboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thsnk you for the feedback. Interesting to better understand how different folks are using their coaches. It was interesting and helpful to me. Seems most are retired, some are close to retirement. I am 9 to 11years away but wondering how I can incorporate a little rv lifestyle into my life before than. A class A is prob more maintenance, expense and heft than would make sense for this stage in my life, I think.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still have at least 10 years of full time employment in our future so coach use is weekends, a two week summer vacation and maybe a week out either spring time or in the fall. We try to get out every other weekend between Easter and Thanksgiving. About 50 nights and 6000 miles a year.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
DW & I are in our 50s. We use our Class A to go to Oshkosh for 2 weeks every year. We make several 3-4 day trips to Branson, and lots of weekends at the lake(s). Thunderbird State Park is only 7-8 miles from the house.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
We work full time and maintain an acreage, but still camp every weekend possible between March and November. This past year we camped 60+ nights, but this also included two, one week long vacations. We do our home chores during the week after work and pack the RV on Thursdays. We come home on Sundays and start all over again. We will retire and full time in under two years.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad