cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for Winnebago Class B Owners

HawkTX
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a Class C Winnebago View, which I love, but I sometimes see these Winnebago Era Class B's going down the road and think "so nice and compact", but then I remember reading about the generators being under the vehicle instead of on the side and when it needs oil or a circuit trips you have to crawl up under with limited space and it is a pain in the BUTT! How true is this? Besides giving up some storage, I think this would be the only thing keeping me from buying one down the road. I currently have a diesel generator on my Winnebago View and it has worked flawless and it is very easy to get to for oil changes or to add oil. I also noticed the only option is LP on these units. I don't boondock much, but from time to time on long trips I will use a Flying J or LOVES truckstop overnight and that generator comes in handy to run the AC or microwave. For some perspective, I have 15,000 miles I have put on this last year and used the generator for about 55 hours of those 15,000 miles.
15 REPLIES 15

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about access on the class B.
Since you don't use very often I would think propane is the way to go.
My guess is propane will be louder since it is air cooled.

VancleVector
Explorer
Explorer
I've been researching (gawd I'm bored) generators and came across reviews of the Predator 4000/3500 generator. $699.00 or maybe $649.00 with their coupon.

I purchased a Propane Generator from Central Maine Diesel a few years ago.

20 HP Honda engine, Italian generator head.
Paid about $2300 plus shipping via Paradise Freight which was a few hundred.
I see the price is just a bit higher now... But the one I want most is Yuchai which i saw from a website.

Recently it blew a capacitor. Central Maine sent me 2 for the price of one even though it is out of warranty. $39 total for two.

I looked at generators on island but a similar Honda at Quality electric was close to $6000 and it wasn't even a 13750kw. More like 8 or 9000kw if I remember right.....

They have many generators at great prices but this is the one I settled for.

Quiet, no smell, propane lasts forever........

But I am looking for a diesel one, just find many post about diesel genset price. Does anyone know about it? Any suggestion?

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
First diesel on order. I heard about that high idle option. Wonder if they all come with it standard, since the new RV will be on the cutaway chassis, which tends to be optioned for commercial and specialty use besides motorhomes, like fire/police/EMS where long periods of idling might occur?

Food for thought, for me.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
No restrictions on the Chevy and to be honest I pay little attention to the Sprinters since I would never buy one. But I do recall some discussion about it, the details of which I didn't read. I also recall reading that there is a fast idle available for Sprinters? (Don't quote me...LOL)
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
mumkin wrote:
I don't believe that Winnebagos have the underhood generators, it is one of the deciding factors that pushes buyers to a Roadtrek/Hymer.

Running the "generator" means running the engine and yes, it will run the AC. I have one in my 170. I have never needed to run it more than an hour or so to cool down.

Good point.
Your 170 doesn't have the engine idling restriction on the Chevy Express van chassis? Did the Sprinter chassis crowd on classbforum ever come to anything like a reasonable consensus on that issue, including input from MB engineering? I followed those threads a while back, but don't recall if they ever closed it with a rule of thumb regarding how long you can safely idle them, or what is required to clean up/out the EGR and DPF after long periods of stationary idling.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
That's great to hear, I'll be reporting back with my experience.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I would be surprised if you noticed any use after a week of heating your van with the propane furnace. I think they must have gotten better in terms of output and fuel consumption over the years. My old 2002 Roadtrek used very little propane when using the furnace. More concern about having the coach batteries topped up to run the furnace fan.

HawkTX
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
I will let you know shortly. We pick up our Era A this Friday and probably my only outstanding concern is maintaining the propane generator due to location. We head south in 2 weeks and will need to stay at Flying J/Pilot for the first 2 nights since all the CG's are closed. I plan to heat the coach overnight as a test before we leave to see how much propane and power we use so I can sleep without worry

My previous 36 had as diesel genset so it'll be interesting to play with this propane one and see what it can do.

Dave

Congrats on your new rig! Look forward to hearing back from you.

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe that Winnebagos have the underhood generators, it is one of the deciding factors that pushes buyers to a Roadtrek/Hymer.

Running the "generator" means running the engine and yes, it will run the AC. I have one in my 170. I have never needed to run it more than an hour or so to cool down.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I will let you know shortly. We pick up our Era A this Friday and probably my only outstanding concern is maintaining the propane generator due to location. We head south in 2 weeks and will need to stay at Flying J/Pilot for the first 2 nights since all the CG's are closed. I plan to heat the coach overnight as a test before we leave to see how much propane and power we use so I can sleep without worry

My previous 36 had as diesel genset so it'll be interesting to play with this propane one and see what it can do.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
I think that the underhood generators used in some B's (Winnebago, Roadtrek, etc.) are really second alternators. They do not have to be exercised and having one frees up space for storage. Advertising touts them as quiet, so they can supposedly be used at any time without violating the no-generator hours at camps.

The down side of the under hood alternator/generators is the MB Sprinter diesel idling issue. Some say it's an engine killer, and others say it's not. There are many threads on it with real world experience and some have contacted MB for guidance on the do's and don'ts of idling their 3.0 V6 diesel engines for extended periods. If the engine generator is of sufficiently high output, some say the run times can be tolerated. It's a complex issue, and I'm not (yet) an MB Sprinter chassis owner, so am only commenting from memory after reading extensive discussions of it on other forums.
One of the better class B forums was (oddly enough)

www.classbforum.com

Much good info about many different class B makes/models and much about van conversions in general, and specifically.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Will they run an air conditioner?

Not sure. I do not have a B. Take a look at the owner's manual for the model you are considering or e-mail the factory. I would not trust a salesperson to answer this question.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

HawkTX
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
I think that the underhood generators used in some B's (Winnebago, Roadtrek, etc.) are really second alternators. They do not have to be exercised and having one frees up space for storage. Advertising touts them as quiet, so they can supposedly be used at any time without violating the no-generator hours at camps.

Will they run an air conditioner?

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed