cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aspire vs a phaeton, what do you think?

tealboy
Explorer
Explorer
I found these two 40 footers to be very nice. Sales guy told me both were excellent units but nothing beats the service of a Tiffin and the quality is slightly better.

What is your thought regarding one vs the other ? Perhaps your thoughts re both new and used re how well one holds up vs the other over time.

Is one really better than the other or are they both equally quality units, just subject to personal preference?
33 REPLIES 33

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy the Coach with the floor plan that would suit my needs the best! Both very nice coaches!

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
Bob & Ann wrote:
RVER wrote:
I( am not sure I agree, I believe Tiffen has a better reputation and better resale and if used I would definitely go with Tiffen. NOW I am told that Tiffen was sold but the owner is still involved. NEW rigs just do not seem to be the quality of the used ones of a few years ago. Personally I would go with a Newmar but if that is not a possibility, I would go with Tiffin but I would have an independent RV tech go over the whole rig stem to stern before I would give over ANY money esp if used.

Tiffin has not sold. It is a family owned company and it just a matter of time until the sons take over. Bob Tiffin is still very much involved.

Remember what happened the last time the kids tried to take over?

That isn't true in every business, my daughters took my business and it is doing very well.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Go with the floorplan you like best

That is the most important choice you can make IMO. As long as you are comparing apples to apples, the floorplan you choose is hard to fix down the road.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
You do not have to make a pilgrimage to Red Bay, AL to get a Tiffin fixed. Many choose to. Maybe because it is the mfgr aand who knows the coach better. Maybe because they are retired and have the time. We have owned a Tiffin MH for 4 years, had a couple things fixed, a Dometic fridge burner replaced within 4 weeks of owning (was Dometic's fault) and this year a hitch recall. Those were done at a local dealer where we bought and a local maintenance shop.

For warranty, Tiffin authorizes and works through authorized service techs. Not just dealers.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
RVER wrote:
A fish rots from the head down. Personally I would look at NEWMAR or TIFFEN.

The OP is looking at Tiffen, just not the bus, for comparing it to an Entegra. Newmar is a vialable option as well, along with some others, but all this depends on the year and model. For instance, I'm all for American with the older coaches, but not so much with the new ones, when there's the Entegra line for comparison. Vice versa with an older Entegra and would never choose one over an American.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
My brother is on his second TIFFIN, the first was a 2014 TIFFIN RED he bought new then he moved on to a slightly used 2015 TIFFIN Allegro Bus bought in 2016.

The Allegro Bus has the Aqua Hot and side radiator, both coaches have four slides. And it is true, Bob Tiffin returned a call when my brother had a question regarding his front slide on the RED, it kinda shocked him.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
A fish rots from the head down. Personally I would look at NEWMAR or TIFFEN.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Mile High, you didn't see the resume? :W

Apparently, I read your post differently than you intended.

MM.
I truly missed it 🙂
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High, you didn't see the resume? :W

Apparently, I read your post differently than you intended.

MM.
Mr.Mark

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Mile High wrote:
bullydogs1 wrote:
While Thor has acquired Entegra in paper, they leave each division to be on their own and stand on their own two feet. I can assure you that customer satisfaction and reputation have not suffered one bit and Entegra is the customer oriented company it always was. Thor just takes their cut, that is how it is at least for the foreseeable future. I was very concerned about this but as long as things stay as they are, you have no worries with Entegra...
Wishful thinking I'm afraid. All the best wishes for success, as I still have hopes that someday that will actually work out.

Mile High, with me being in close contact and good friends with Bullydogs, he has worked closely with Entegra as he bought a brand new coach. For the almost 2 yrs. that BD has had his coach, Entegra has been a separate entity and has bent over backwards to make sure the customer is happy.

In the future, things could change, we'll see.

Don't undermine a person who has had direct contact with the manufacturer and knows from personal experience what is going on.

Safe travels,
MM.
I must of missed all that in the comment Mr. Mark.
Maybe everyone needs to publish a resume before they comment or maybe a facebook reference! I said best wishes sincerely, but I'm skeptical based on my direct experiences with our last rig that was bought out by Thor.

Besides, you of all people I thought was above the groveling here. I'm sure Bullydog can stand on his own.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
bullydogs1 wrote:
Aspire side radiator....phaeton, rear radiator...Aspire heated floor standard..2 yr warranty...both are good coaches but Entegra edges out.

Side vs rear radiator says it all and a deal breaker for me.
Side rad chassis's are the very last place for a manuf. to spend money, so the quality throughout the rest of the coach, usually suffers, as well. Between the two, you'd have to move up to a bus with an Allegro.
One thing about Tiffen, though and whereas you can call and talk to Bob. Fact is, there's not much else he can get done in a days time, with being on the phone constantly. Then again, if the product is so superior, why are there so many people calling and then bringing their rigs back to the factory?
Not saying they're not any good, but this business of personal contact with the owner, doesn't make it built better than the rest.
As for Entegra, I think they're one of the best out there for the buck in the newer models, so lets hope that Thor doesn't transfer their infamous reputation to that line. Going hard for them to ignore the profits and they obviosly know what sells or they wouldn't have the funds to have purchased the company in the first place. I mean, when it comes to the god almighty dollar, screw the discriminating buyer, if that's now where your lowest aquistion cost is.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
No worries...because I was super skeptical when it all happened 3 months after I purchased my Aspire( and trust me I was very skeptical and cynical)..it has been 1.5 years...the same customer service are still there...they have proved themselves and continue to prove themselves to the many Entegra owners I have met..and the Bontragers are still in with Jayco/Entegra and Entegra is treated as a separate division from service/parts as well...I will be at factory in June for my end of warranty inspection..here is a good comparison..Airstream..owned by Thor, its own people and plant and Airstream has not suffered a bit..Thor takes their cut...of course the future can change but I do not think that Thor is about to kill this golden goose....
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

wnytaxman
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Mile High wrote:
bullydogs1 wrote:
While Thor has acquired Entegra in paper, they leave each division to be on their own and stand on their own two feet. I can assure you that customer satisfaction and reputation have not suffered one bit and Entegra is the customer oriented company it always was. Thor just takes their cut, that is how it is at least for the foreseeable future. I was very concerned about this but as long as things stay as they are, you have no worries with Entegra...
Wishful thinking I'm afraid. All the best wishes for success, as I still have hopes that someday that will actually work out.

Mile High, with me being in close contact and good friends with Bullydogs, he has worked closely with Entegra as he bought a brand new coach. For the almost 2 yrs. that BD has had his coach, Entegra has been a separate entity and has bent over backwards to make sure the customer is happy.

Don't undermine a person who has had direct contact with the manufacturer and knows from personal experience what is going on.

Safe travels,
MM.

Very Well said, Sir!
2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order, 2011 Berkshire 390BH traded

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
bullydogs1 wrote:

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark