cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TOAD for 30 foot FR Forester?

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to buy a new 30/32 footish Forester MBZ diesel. Can I tow a car behind this small MH? And, if so, what?
Big Bird 2
7 REPLIES 7

bigskygrizzlybe
Explorer
Explorer
What have you been driving up until now, a 45 footer? I drive a 24 foot clas c gas and tow a Jeep Liberty. I have never had any trouble towing. With a diesel class c, which by the way, is very hard to find, you would have no trouble. To me, diesel in a C is overkill.
Gulf Stream Class C
2004 Jeep Liberty Dinghy
Snowbirds 2014

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider a Suzuki Samurai (or derivative) or a Daihatsu ROCKY (but good luck finding one of those).
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
OR you could ask the manufacturer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both. I will now proceed with your information.
Big Bird 2

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most ( if not all ) of the MB based units can tow a car. Iโ€™d stay with a smaller car like the Automatic Chevy Sonic we tow. Lists at about 2,700 lbs.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
big bird 2 wrote:
Looking to buy a new 30/32 footish Forester MBZ diesel. Can I tow a car behind this small MH? And, if so, what?
Hi,

If you are talking about the MBZ Sprinter chassis, they are not made that long because MBZ does not allow the wheel base modified like the Ford, and there is only so much additional length allowed to be cantilevered behind the main frame to an over-all max length of around 25 feet.

If settling on the Sprinter with it's limited length, you will need to do a little math.

1) You'll need a class 3 hitch rated at 3500, 5000, or 7500 pounds, then make sure your tow vehicle with contents is under that amount.

2) You need to take that number and add it to the weight of your motor home with it's contents. The combined total must be less than the chassis GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating).

Get the numbers right and it will work. The engine and transmission and the rest of the chassis is designed to that max GCWR, though maybe sluggishly pending the terrain.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What does the manufacturer say?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad