cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping near Blacksburg Va.

woodworker215
Explorer
Explorer
We just moved our daughter to Blacksburg Va. and would like to find some nice campgrounds in this area. A google search didn't reveal that many campgrounds. I did find a small Interstate Overnight Park. Ironically next to the hotel we stayed at.
I was hoping there were more camping options in the Blacksburg/Christiansburg area.
Any Ideas would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

woodworker215
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. The different options will come in handy depending on the season and length of our stay.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
You can park an RV on campus at any time during the year, except on football weekends. The RV parking is at the Duck Pond Overflow lot.

There are no hook up facilities here. However there is a dump station at this parking facility.

I'm going to paste the web address for information. Hope your daughter loves the school as much as I do. It's a much different, larger place than what I knew when I graduated back in 1969.

https://parking.vt.edu/parking/recreational-vehicles.html
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at Claytor Lake twice. There is also Ft Chriswell,a private campground.

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
The Interstate Overnight Park is basically just a gravel parking lot with hookups. I have never stayed there but have driven through it. If you are just looking for a legal place to park close to Blacksburg, it should be ok. If you need amenities, look elsewhere

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I would suggest the Allstays web site/smartphone app. That being said, there are fewer campgrounds in that area than I think are justified.

wanderingdawgs
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for Claytor Lake State Park. We have stayed there several times when visiting family in Blacksburg. It's a really nice park and is an easy commute to Blacksburg and Christianburg. The sites in loop D are large with water and electric. Here's a link to my blog post with pictures and more about the park.
Beth and Henry
2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD/CC/DA
2006 Titanium 29E34TS
wanderingdawgs.com

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Claytor Lake State park is about 28 miles away. And will accomidate most RV's. Dont think they have sewer hookups but believe they do have water and elec.
go to
www.virginia.gov/state-parks/
for more info.