Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a TT, Bunk "Room" vs Bathroom door to outside

Sky_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!

We are new to the RVing world and are looking to buy our first TT.

We are looking at a Forest River Grey Wolf 26DBH or something similar.

The floor plan we like is the one with the extra door on the outside that opens to bathroom. We think that will come in very handy with kids going in and out (and us adults as well) and not having to track through the camper. With this set up, we are finding that the bunks are just out in the "open" and the kids won't have their own room.

So now I'm wondering if we shouldn't go with the floorpan that has the kids bunks enclosed in a room and forgo the bathroom being easily accessible from the outside. Kids are only getting bigger and with the room the kids would each have their own bunk. With the open double bunk set up, at least one friend would have to share a double bunk because the sofa bed is so small even for my 10 year old.

Some information on us...
There are 4 of us. Me, husband, 11 yr old son and 10 yrs old daughter. We will travel just the 4 of us but we plan on having a friend for each of the kids as often as we can.

I can see pluses to each side but really want to hear about your experiences in the real world of RVing. I know that there may be a change in weight and length but that won't be an issue.

Thanks!
37 REPLIES 37

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Sky Girl wrote:
....looking to buy our first TT.

We are looking at a Forest River Grey Wolf 26DBH or something similar.

The floor plan we like is the one with the extra door on the outside that opens to bathroom. We think that will come in very handy with kids going in and out (and us adults as well) and not having to track through the camper. With this set up, we are finding that the bunks are just out in the "open" and the kids won't have their own room.

So now I'm wondering if we shouldn't go with the floorpan that has the kids bunks enclosed in a room and forgo the bathroom being easily accessible from the outside. Kids are only getting bigger and with the room the kids would each have their own bunk. With the open double bunk set up, at least one friend would have to share a double bunk because the sofa bed is so small even for my 10 year old.

I just looked at the floorplan you are considering. I really think you'd be happier with a enclosed bunk room for the kids and not concentrate on the bath door opening to the outside. If you don't want the kids to come in the front door to use the bathroom perhaps you can get them (& you) in the habit of taking shoes off at the door. It saves a lot of dirt. Also, kids and many adults have no problem using the public restroom during the day. Save the bathroom for nighttime. If you do public parks without sewer hookups you won't be able to use water freely anyway.

Later you mentioned an outside kitchen. Travel trailers don't have much outside storage space to begin with and an outside kitchen takes up valuable space. The sink is tiny. Get a camp stove if you want to cook outside and you can set it up anywhere. Get a plastic dishpan for outside use. It will be the same size or even larger than the outside kitchen's. Dedicate one end of your picnic table for your 'kitchen'. If you're planning to bring a grill, some even have a burner for pots/frypans. You'll find more use for the storage area.

Your family will have fun camping. The kids are at a good age! Enjoy.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a fan of a second bath or a bunkhouse. I wouldn't pipe up but I had a small bunkhouse and hated it. It's hard to cram all the amenities of a house into a 30' box. I just think they both take up too much space. I've yet to see a bunkhouse where I liked the living area. I don't claim to have seen everything but the one's I have seen are tiny. I'd rather have dual purpose areas. Large, open areas where the family can come together during the day and with lot's of seating that can make beds at night. Rear Living areas are hard to beat. Just food for thought..

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I'm not an outdoor kitchen guy. I can set up my portable kitchen where and how I want it. If I want it.
Duplication is another issue. I have a big 40' RV but I don't need duplication.
2 microwave, 2 sinks, 2 fridges that space can be put to better use.
Sometimes I use the outdoor kitchen exclusively, some times not at all I do not need to dedicate space to an outdoor kitchen 100% of the time. I prefer to use the room for additional living space.
Lastly terrain is an issue some sites are just not set up to allow for the outside kitchen
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will you be using traditional campgrounds or RV Parks?

If RV parks, then the outdoor kitchen may be nice as you will have a "patio area" to use it.

If traditional campgrounds, then it can be less useful. In my area, the campgrounds are set up in such a way that there isn't really room to use the outdoor kitchen comfortably. The pads are usually one vehicle width and there are rocks, trees, wooden posts, etc. along the edges. So you can't put a table alongside your RV and you have to maneuver around obstacles while you cook. So for that, I find a table and portable grill to be more convenient.

With kids, you may find the outside fridge useful as they can grab snacks and drinks without getting in your way while cooking inside.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Sky_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the replies.

My question wasn't about another bathroom but one with a door that was accessible from the outside. We are new to the camping world and have a budget so another bath or half bath isn't even on our radar.

We found a couple Forest Rivers that seemed like good deals (without the bunk room) but they were snatched up really quick. We are keeping an open mind and taking everything y'all are saying into consideration. Lots of good info here!

I have another question as well since you guys are all so helpful.

Outdoor kitchen? Yes or no?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The_Owl wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
Atlee wrote:
As far as I know, there's nothing to be concerned about. What you do need to note is how far the two black tanks are from each other. Usually in a set up that has two bathrooms, there are two black tanks, which means after dumping blac and gray tank, you have to move the stinky slinky to the other black and gray tank outlet.

6door74 wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
If getting that half bath camper, take an extra minute to consider where the black tank values and outlets are located. Really, check it out.

... and how far the black water has to travel to exit.

What exactly should i be looking for or concerned about?

Thanks Atlee.... right on!

Yes, the position of the black tank valves may be very inconvenient. If you have full hook-ups, unless you get extra hoses and some Y adapters, you'll be adding extra hoses and moving them from valve to valve. And depending on their location on the camper, this may be a real pain in the arse! Also, if those valves are located UNDER the slide out, your life will be miserable trying to dump at full hook-up sites. You'll be crawling under those slides to reach the valve handles.

At dump stations, you'll have to move the rig forward or backwards to dump all the tanks if the valves and outlets are far apart.

With a bath an a half camper, you could have one valve at the very front of the camper, the other at the rear.

All I'm asking is that you take special notice of where they are located and make sure you are OK with that. Remember, every campsite is different. Full hook-up sites may have the dump drains in the middle of the campsite, some may have them at the rear of the campsite, some may be in weird locations. The more valves you have, the more you need to be prepared for anything.

Check all the dump valve locations, and make sure you can access them easy, and consider the amount of hose you'll need, and how you have to position the camper at dump stations to drain all the tanks.

My brother has two separate dump valves on his toy hauler and all of the above are a pain. The rear dump is located under a slide and is difficult to access and wye the two lines together and get them to drain. This was a huge deciding factor in our purchase of a rig that had the two bathrooms preplumbed into one outlet that is accessible with the slides open.

Good points. Dealing with the 2nd black tank is certainly a factor to consider. It's not the floorplan or toilet I have come to despise. It's the 2nd black tank and all the hassle that comes with dumping it. I despised the 2nd black tank so much I got rid of the toilet.:o.
My thoughts are the 2nd tank is more trouble than its worth
Correct Trax,Splendide

The_Owl
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Atlee wrote:
As far as I know, there's nothing to be concerned about. What you do need to note is how far the two black tanks are from each other. Usually in a set up that has two bathrooms, there are two black tanks, which means after dumping blac and gray tank, you have to move the stinky slinky to the other black and gray tank outlet.

6door74 wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
If getting that half bath camper, take an extra minute to consider where the black tank values and outlets are located. Really, check it out.

... and how far the black water has to travel to exit.

What exactly should i be looking for or concerned about?

Thanks Atlee.... right on!

Yes, the position of the black tank valves may be very inconvenient. If you have full hook-ups, unless you get extra hoses and some Y adapters, you'll be adding extra hoses and moving them from valve to valve. And depending on their location on the camper, this may be a real pain in the arse! Also, if those valves are located UNDER the slide out, your life will be miserable trying to dump at full hook-up sites. You'll be crawling under those slides to reach the valve handles.

At dump stations, you'll have to move the rig forward or backwards to dump all the tanks if the valves and outlets are far apart.

With a bath an a half camper, you could have one valve at the very front of the camper, the other at the rear.

All I'm asking is that you take special notice of where they are located and make sure you are OK with that. Remember, every campsite is different. Full hook-up sites may have the dump drains in the middle of the campsite, some may have them at the rear of the campsite, some may be in weird locations. The more valves you have, the more you need to be prepared for anything.

Check all the dump valve locations, and make sure you can access them easy, and consider the amount of hose you'll need, and how you have to position the camper at dump stations to drain all the tanks.

My brother has two separate dump valves on his toy hauler and all of the above are a pain. The rear dump is located under a slide and is difficult to access and wye the two lines together and get them to drain. This was a huge deciding factor in our purchase of a rig that had the two bathrooms preplumbed into one outlet that is accessible with the slides open.

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
The keystone that am1958 posted is the same floor plan as our outback 312bh. We love it. Outside door to bathroom, bunk room, and an outside kitchen.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

6door74
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
6door74 - my comments were directed at the OP's choice. I think there are valid reasons for having the extra bathroom (my dad used to go to dog shows with his female dog handler and the extra bathroom would have been much nicer for her).

But, again, if the choice is one bathroom with outside access and a bunkroom. And the family will be camping at campgrounds (versus always at RV parks), I would take the outside access over the bunk room.

If the OP is staying primarily at RV parks, then it's probably safer to go with the bunk rooms because many do not allow tents.

No worries. I was just explaining part of my reasoning for why we want a bath 1/2. It includes the OP's initial concern which we also debated, plus some added reasons for us specifically. It wasn't directed at you, just adding to the conversation. The sporttrek 343vbh which is at the top of our list has a bunkhouse w/4 beds, a half bath with outside access, an outside kitchen, and the bathroom connected to the master. It even has a window at the front in the master. It's a win all around for us. Just gotta find one now! I can only find them in MS and TX on RV trader.
2006 E350 V10
Travel Trailer-TBD

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
6door74 - my comments were directed at the OP's choice. I think there are valid reasons for having the extra bathroom (my dad used to go to dog shows with his female dog handler and the extra bathroom would have been much nicer for her).

But, again, if the choice is one bathroom with outside access and a bunkroom. And the family will be camping at campgrounds (versus always at RV parks), I would take the outside access over the bunk room.

If the OP is staying primarily at RV parks, then it's probably safer to go with the bunk rooms because many do not allow tents.

6door74
Explorer
Explorer
my wife and i want a bathroom connected to our room and not have to worry about going through the trailer to get to it. For the same reason, we don't want the kids or guests coming to the bathroom connected to our room at any and all times. RV parks will most likely be the extent of our "camping" and in my opinion, it's not a waste for us. To find travel trailer models which offered it is a win win in my book. As for the size, if they want bigger, they can go to the bathroom at the location. They'll have just enough room to do their business and keep it moving which is all they need!
2006 E350 V10
Travel Trailer-TBD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
toedtoes wrote:
Is the "bathroom with an outside door" always a 2nd bath? If so, I change my first opinion. I would find the dumping annoying.

But if it's a choice between one bathroom with outside access and a bunk bed room, I would take the outside access. Again, I think letting the kids use tents and have access to the bathroom late at night will be more fun than a bunk room.

Once you remove the toilet. The outside access 2nd 1/2 bath becomes a great storage closet with interior and/or exterior access
Correct Trax,Splendide

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the "bathroom with an outside door" always a 2nd bath? If so, I change my first opinion. I would find the dumping annoying.

But if it's a choice between one bathroom with outside access and a bunk bed room, I would take the outside access. Again, I think letting the kids use tents and have access to the bathroom late at night will be more fun than a bunk room.

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
For me, a 2nd bathroom in a camper is wasted space. We are camping, for crying out loud...but then again, I don't even have a 2nd bath in my house. So I'm used to sharing with my wife and 3 daughters. Those 2nd baths are usually extremely small to the point of being barely useable. And then there are the inconveniences mentioned above about dumping and locked doors, etc. Personally, I'd rather have that space for the bunk room or a storage closet.