cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NPS campgrounds closed during shutdown

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
This is more of a question than a statement. I did just try recreation.gov to see if was taking applications to camp at Flamingo campground in the everglades. The site is down due to the shutdown. I assume they've kicked out the campers there and at Long Pine Key campground where I hope to be in a month.

Any others have direct knowledge?
14 REPLIES 14

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Recreation.gov resumes normal operations Tuesday, Jan. 23 at 12PM ET.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
JTNP open but no services, camp site reservations questionable. No one is kicked out.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
An update on the Quartzsite BLM LTVAs - While no one has been told to leave, the entrance stations are closed (no gates so you can still drive in) and there is a sign stating where the commercial water fill & dump stations are located. I didn't drive out to the dump station to see if it was closed, but I suspect it is...

A further update - For anyone interested, as of 12:20, 1/21/18, the water fill & dump stations at La Posa South are open. Long lines because it is Big Tent Week.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
USA Today "....WASHINGTON โ€” The federal government ran out of funding at midnight, but you may not have noticed.

In fact, it could be several days before the full impact of the shutdown is fully felt by the public.

Government agencies began the process of shutting down at midnight Friday after Congress failed to pass a spending bill to keep them operating. But not every government employee was sent home.

Federal workers deemed โ€œessentialโ€ are still on the job, and key government functions โ€” such as national security operations and law enforcement work โ€” remain up and running.

Other agencies have residual funds that will keep them operating for several days. But if the shutdown drags on, they, too, could run out of money and have to close their doors.

Hereโ€™s a look at what you can expect during the Government Shutdown of 2018:

Whatโ€™s open?
The mail is still being delivered, Social Security checks are still being processed, the Medicare and Medicaid programs are still running, and veteransโ€™ hospitals are still operating.

The national monuments will remain accessible as will portions of many national parks. The Smithsonian Institutionโ€™s museums and National Zoo are open for now, but could close as early as Monday.

Airports are still operating, and air traffic controllers and Transportation Security Administration officials are still on the job. But you could still run into some delays if youโ€™re traveling because โ€œnon-essentialโ€ employees will be furloughed.

You can also travel by train. Even though Amtrak depends on federal subsidies, it also gets revenue from ticket sales and has managed to stay open during past shutdowns.

Whatโ€™s closed?
Only โ€œessentialโ€ government employees will report to work, so most federal agencies and departments are closed for now.

The IRS, for example, is expected to furlough 56% of its workers, which means most of the agencyโ€™s programs will be shuttered. That includes the agencyโ€™s helplines, which are turned off during the shutdown โ€” a potential problem for taxpayers seeking guidance on massive changes this year.

Most employees at other departments and agencies, such as the Department of Education, the National Transportation Safety Board and the Consumer Product Safety Commission, are furloughed, which means that ongoing investigations and programs will be temporarily halted.

The Environmental Protection Agency remains open, but just for a limited time. EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt advised all employees to return to work next week, but said further guidance will be issued the shutdown extends beyond Jan. 26.

Whatโ€™s different?
The big difference this time around is that monuments and parts of most national parks will remain open during the shutdown.

During the last shutdown, in 2013, the Obama administration closed park entrances and put up barriers around national monuments. The policy sparked a public outrage when veterans were turned away from the World War II Memorial in Washington.

Trump and his team donโ€™t want to repeat that fiasco. Most national parks roads and monuments and the private concessions that serve them remain open this time.

Services that require staffing and maintenance, such as campgrounds, full service restrooms, and concessions that require some park staff or assistance will not be operating, the Interior Department said....."

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
steveh27 wrote:
And because the NPS is shutdown they have no way of putting out any info.

Which is why a thread kept on topic would be so helpful.

So far, we have word that Quartzite BLM is open.

Any others known?
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
And because the NPS is shutdown they have no way of putting out any info.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I went by the National Forest Headquarters in my town. They were closed. Not sure if it's because of the weekend?

If I see a forest service leo at work next week I will ask what they know.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having information on what campgrounds are open and what ones are open, and what, if any, staff is available, would be invaluable for folks right now. However, these threads get closed repeatedly because of the political comments.

Could we just stick to the campground information and leave politics, politicians, etc., out of it? (Like vermilye's post)

Heck maybe we could end up with a single thread that lists all known information on the campgrounds so that folks can figure out their plans. Wouldn't that be great?!
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
No one has stopped by asking me to leave the Quartzsite BLM LTVA so far...

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Last time, the Government went out of it's way to shut roads, and close off access. Even to places which are not staffed such as monuments. This time we have been told it wont happen, And that for as long as possible , utilizing funds currently on hand the facilities would remain open.
The difference is in total shutdown summarily, or partial closure while maximizing access that can be maintained??
Has anyone on here been told to leave yet?
Has anyone tried to access a National Park or Monument today?

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
From what I've seen so far, the Park Service is no more prepared this time than they were in 2013. I haven't seen a definitive statement on their position on their website or any of the social media sites where they have a presence.

Did find this "Visitors at NPS campgrounds won't be asked to leave, but they will be notified that there won't be any services. Those with reservations for a later date will be notified that NPS is not providing services (including check-in/check-out) and there is no guarantee that their reserved campsite will be ready and available."

Dewey02 - Don't recall if our contact was a "Ranger" or a "LEO" but we did spend several days in Big Bend during the 2013 shutdown and left only when we decided to move on. We were cautioned that we'd be on our own if we had any problems on the trails or backroads.

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
huachuca wrote:
I've seen several reports indicating the National Parks will remain open but all facilities (visitor centers, restrooms, etc) will be closed and locked. Campgrounds will remain but no amenities will be provided.

We were in Big Bend NP for the last go round of this. After a couple of days, we finally found a ranger who told us we should leave but, since they weren't working, they couldn't make us go.

General park employees (AKA "Rangers") will not be working.
However, NPS Law Enforcement Officers (AKA LEO's) are considered essential employees and will be working. If the campground is closed, you can bet they will show up and make you leave.

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen several reports indicating the National Parks will remain open but all facilities (visitor centers, restrooms, etc) will be closed and locked. Campgrounds will remain but no amenities will be provided.

We were in Big Bend NP for the last go round of this. After a couple of days, we finally found a ranger who told us we should leave but, since they weren't working, they couldn't make us go.

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Recreation.gov website - link

Our Apologies...
The Recreation.gov website is not available due to a lapse in funding for the federal government.

We will keep all reservations in the system intact until the departure date has passed in the event you would like to use any part of your reservation. If your reservation falls completely within the time frame of the lapse in funding, full refunds will be made. No additional cancellation fees will be charged to the customer for reservation cancellations as a result of facility closures.

We invite you to return to this site as the situation evolves in order to obtain additional information about how services and reservations may be affected.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab