cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade an Onan 7.5 DKD generator to a Quiet Diesel?

u2cmefly82
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. I could really use some advice. I have a 1993 Gulf Stream TourMaster. We have one of the older Onan 7.5 (DKDFJ) Diesel gensets on a front slide. It has worked very well for us up until recently when it threw a piston right through the block... Needless to say, we need a new generator. I am pretty handy and can tackle most projects and replacing this generator is not going to be out of my realm of ability. My issue is that the older style 7.5 generators are super hard to find... I have been looking with not very much luck... The plan was to buy a working used unit, pull the old one out, pop the new one in and then I would have plenty of extra parts when and if needed. The issue is I can't find one for sale... So the other option is to buy one of the newer Onan 7.5 Quiet Diesels or possibly even one that produces a bit more power in case we ever want to add a third AC unit. I am wondering if anyone has ever done this or had it done. My questions are how it will fit on a slide and if the wiring will be easily adapted? What were the challenges you encountered while doing this? Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
5 REPLIES 5

DonBaja
Explorer
Explorer
Everything I have read would indicate that the DKD 7.5 is way better than the Quiet Diesel for durability. They built a lot of things better in the old days. I have one, and it's noisy and it stinks so I am an outcast at RV outings like Quartzsite but when the old Dynasty dies I might make myself a home emergency generator from my DKD.

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
Try norwall spell check got me
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
Try more all power systems.try show 1 7.5 diesel on an
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

MrWizard
7.5 should handle three a/c unit's

The fastest way is to Google specs for each generator and compare the demensions and the weight
Watch for width, radiator placement, hose touring etc
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that Onan has install manuals that are available on-line. Maybe comparing the two will help solve your questions.
Kevin