cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Powered Generators

Texan72
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had any experience with solar powered generators for their 5th wheel or trailer ? If so are the worth the investment over gas powered ? Want to use for occasional short term boon docking.
17 REPLIES 17

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tiger4x4RV,

Just buy an LI battery to replace the heavy battery in the current back up unit. Far cheaper than the Kodiak.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Further thoughts on this issue: I was researching the lighter-weight lithium versions to replace my current heavy backup portable power unit. For home, this unit helps out during power failures. For travel, it is backup power for the CPAP and a jump starter for the truck if needed; I usually travel alone exploring the back country and it would be rather stupid to go without backup power.

Yes, solar "generators" are pricey. However, the lithium Kodiak at 20 pounds has WAY more power than my current lead-acid Duracell unit. My aging back does not like me to haul heavier stuff around and the weight factor is attractive. So is the plug-and-play. The Inergy Kodiak recharges quickly with AC or 12V from a vehicle or from solar. I would probably never use solar with it.

One YouTube review of the Kodiak shows an RV plugged into its 30amp socket and the reviewer using equipment within the RV with the Kodiak as the power source. Nice! Other brands don't seem to have that socket, but you might be able to use an adapter.

I'm not saying I'll buy one, but it is good to know what options are out there.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's just a small solar panel with charger/controller and battery. I've seen some ridiculously priced $1,000 with 100W solar and battery looking like 80-100AH. That panel costs $120, a good charger $40, total $160 with jumper cables. Merely 6 times cheaper than their gizmo :).

If you want some small easy solar and don't know how, or afraid to drill holes in plywood roof - buy portable solar kit at Solar Blvd or "solar suitcase" from Renogy, either one will be 100W or slightly more, and will cost under $400.

Kits with 20-25W panels are "maintainers", for keeping rig or truck in storage. You can't boondock with that.
100W panel "might" generate enough to keep battery from discharging too low over weekend, not on all days and not for every energy appetite, but possible.
With some care, 300W solar in Tx should be enough without getting involved with gasoline generators. As long as you don't need air-con.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you would get enough power to be worth the cost and hassle.

Small generator (Honda, Yamaha, Champion. HF???) or spend the money and get a DC-DC boost converter and a DC-DC battery charger (a.k.a. solar charge controller) so that can PROPERLY charge your house batteries off of your vehicle alternator.

Texan72
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback everyone !!!!!

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Purchase a 2000 watt Honda or another brand of choice and make that your charge station. If you sit it in the sun when using it then you could call it a solar generator I guess! Just kiddin, but in all reality, unless you plan on a decent sized solar system then from my understanding your better off with a gen. I have an onboard gen but I also have a Honda that I used from my last RV and use it still just to keep the batteries charged and to run coffee maker and stuff as it gets better mileage than my 5500 Onan!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good for you for checking here before wasting money on a so called "solar generator".

This series of articles may help you out: https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
Texan72 wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with solar powered generators for their 5th wheel or trailer ? If so are the worth the investment over gas powered ? Want to use for occasional short term boon docking.

solar panels vs genset for short term boondocking, get a genset... solar is great if you go big enough, but it isnt worth the cost for short stays once in a while...
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Solar panels ---> Controller ---> RV Battery ---> Inverter ---> 120vac
And your 12v items just run direct off the RV battery.
Don't waste your money on some package with poor features and a high price.

> Members Solar Installations With Pics

(thanks to the changes at photobucket many photos are missing as the links to a forum are no longer allowed)

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Solar Generator is just marketing for "very small solar system in a box sold for a lot of money." The battery or batteries on your RV are already larger. Just add a nice 200 - 300 watt panel on your roof, a charge controller, and maybe an inverter if you want. You'll have a better system for the same or less money.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2, gbopp. Buy panels, a controller and batteries. Texan, read articles on solar RV.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
For the cost of one of the smaller ones of these, lets say $500 you could buy a complete 200 watt solar system such as the kit from
www.solarblvd.com and buy a off brand 700 - 1000 watt generator from HF or home depot for the days the sun doesnt shine.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't waste my money on a 'solar generator', Just buy solar panels, a battery bank, etc.. It will be cheaper and you will have a better system.
Solar generators are marketing hype.

Or, buy a portable inverter generator. They generate power in the dark and are fairly quiet.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
From what I have read, its a box containing a small charge controller, a battery, and an inverter, paired with a solar panel. They are usually small having no more than 40-50 amphrs of 12 volt power available. And maybe a 25-50 watt solar panel for recharging.
Probably pk for charging a laptop or cellphone, but not going to run much for very long in a 5er.

X2

More of a tool for folks with very limited space.

It doesn't generate anything.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed