cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for aluminum coil for new roof

Mousehunter
Explorer
Explorer
I have a few RV projects in the burner. One involves needing about 25’ of 96” wide .004” aluminum. My Google fu has been weak. I have found multiple places that advertise it online without listing prices, only to be told they only sell it by the coil (about 4K lbs) or they only sell it at out of state locations.

Anyway, any hints to find some roofing in the San Antonio or Houston area?
14 REPLIES 14

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure, but years ago we had some for repairing the roofs on the tractor trailer roofs , maybe check with places that do that type of trailer repairs

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I FOUND SOME ! .024 seems kind of light. Clearly would need 1/4' - 1/2" plywood underneath.

103" wide rolled aluminum roofing

WOW, only $500+ bucks for a 30' long chunk too. Makes me want to buy some just to buy it LOL. Looks to be .025 which would be plenty heavy enough if you were gluing it to a substrate.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
I think there are a lot of typos or decimal errors in this thread. I don't think the OP wants .004" aluminum, but I've never seen .063" or .094" aluminum foil either (I think that should be .63 mils, or .0006" thick). Typical spark plug gaps run .034-.044" these days, and .125" is, of course, 1/8" thick, for reference.
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

kayco53
Explorer
Explorer
I get my roofing for trailers from places that build commercial truck bodies. Fairly cheap $15cdn a linear foot
2007 GMC 2500hd
2011 Creekside 23RKS

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I FOUND SOME ! .024 seems kind of light. Clearly would need 1/4' - 1/2" plywood underneath.

103" wide rolled aluminum roofing

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
In the late 80's I wanted to enclose my race car trailer. I wanted a one piece roof from the lower front all the way back because I did not want to deal with leaks.

I went to a tractor trailer builder place and told them I wanted 35' of roofing material. A gruff old man yelled out into the shop; "hey Joe, this kid wants 35 of rolled roof. I looked out in the shop and there was the biggest roll of aluminum I have ever seen. It was hanging from the roof and HUGE. Joe jumped on the forks of a fork lift and some other guy raised him up and he grabbed the end of the roll and down he came. He rolled out 35' and cut it off. When he did it rolled up like a coil spring. He tapped it closed and hauled it out and put it on my trailer for transport.

I think it was like $300 bucks or so back in the day?

I hope 4 thou is a typo because .060 sticks in my mind? Maybe it was .040? I also think it was 102" because I bent it over the walls of my trailer so there was no possibility of a leak.

Good luck with your search. I would search tractor trailer builders like Great Dane or Freuhauf or whatever....
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:

I don't think there is anyone stateside that rolls .004, or anything else, any wider than either 60" or 72".

I remember when hanging out for years at popup forums many tried to find 96" wide for rebuilding popup roofs, and I don't believe anyone ever found it. They always had to figure out a way to seam two pieces together.

Handling .004 is going to be very difficult without kinking or tearing ! Regular household aluminum foil is .063 and the HD foil is .094. I think I would want at least .1 or .125

As for seaming, depending on the substructure, you could just lay the first sheet down, lay a 1" strip of butyl tape on the edge, lay the second sheet and screw down with stainless/aluminum screw with washer heads and rubber gaskets.

There are a lot of different alloys of aluminum plus several different types of heat treating. Someone smarter than myself will have to answer which is best.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
curious what one does with aluminum the thickness of a human hair. Also not sure how you would expect to process let alone handle such a giant thin sheet.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
.040 maybe. That's more standard. 96" wide, I doubt it.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking the OP needs to come back and clarify. I have my doubts he is really looking for material just four thousandths thick.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
This may be a tough nut.

I don't think there is anyone stateside that rolls .004, or anything else, any wider than either 60" or 72".

I remember when hanging out for years at popup forums many tried to find 96" wide for rebuilding popup roofs, and I don't believe anyone ever found it. They always had to figure out a way to seam two pieces together.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you checked Triple S Steel ? They are on Thompson Street just South of 90 by old Kelly AFB.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Discount Steel Ft Worth TX. I buy from them through their Minneapolis location, mostly aluminum structural and plate/sheet.
They will ship.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Ryerson, All Metal, ALRO Products. All sell less than mill quantity.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB