cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Monument valley

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about heading to Monument Valley on Monday. The KOA is closed. Any recommendations for a RV park in the general area? I will most likely take my motorcycle with me to travel the area or, alternatively take a friend's Razor.
2014 Coachmen Freelander 29qb, towing a trailer with my toys:
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2008 Road Star 1100
PATRIOT GUARD RIDER, AMERICAN LEGION RIDER
Retired 25 years US ARMY, retired 24 years business owner
20 REPLIES 20

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
And you can go to Valley of the Gods(VOG) which in my opinion is better than MV and closer with way fewer people.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Dry camp free at Valley of Gods (20 (?) miles north of off UT 261) BLM land (?) -- more to see and you can hike all you want. Take a day trip to Monument Valley if you must see the "mittens".

Or pay $5.00 at Goosenecks SP.

Agree!

Last time we were at Goosenecks it was free to camp, but $5 beats almost $45 for dry camping. Yeesh!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Dry camp free at Valley of Gods (20 (?) miles north of off UT 261) BLM land (?) -- more to see and you can hike all you want. Take a day trip to Monument Valley if you must see the "mittens".

^^^^^^I Agree^^^^^^^^

Simple - or Mexican Hat.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:

^^^^^^I Agree^^^^^^^^

Simple - or Mexican Hat.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
I found it - Monument Valley Dry Camping

That's an old link. At that time it was called Mitten View and was $10/night

The new link is: http://monumentvalleyview.com/campground/

The campground is now called The View and is in the same area as the old but now they've added restrooms/showers. The price for dry camping is $19.95 with some sites at $39.95 - front row.

Thank you.

I just checked their system and there was no option for 19.95, but instead plus tax came to a total of 41.95 for one night, two adults. I don't know if the number of adults makes any difference.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:

That's an old link. At that time it was called Mitten View and was $10/night

The new link is: http://monumentvalleyview.com/campground/

The campground is now called The View and is in the same area as the old but now they've added restrooms/showers. The price for dry camping is $19.95 with some sites at $39.95 - front row.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:

Hope you don't wake to a cloudy morning.

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
I was wondering WHY you were going to the Salton Sea but now note you are off roading. Salton Sea is a stinking rot.

I have just returned from Salton Sea. I do not offroad. I brought my cruiser and did some exploring of the area around the Salton Sea. I did at times detect a faint odor of a lowtide-meets-opensewer smell mix but it really wasn't all that bad.

It was an interesting trip.
2014 Coachmen Freelander 29qb, towing a trailer with my toys:
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2008 Road Star 1100
PATRIOT GUARD RIDER, AMERICAN LEGION RIDER
Retired 25 years US ARMY, retired 24 years business owner

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Goulding family is well known for raiding old Puebloan Indian sites.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering WHY you were going to the Salton Sea but now note you are off roading. Salton Sea is a stinking rot.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock - what is the cost to stay at the bluff by the visitor center? I couldn't find any information online. Thanks.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
If you are set up for boondocking I would suggest a couple of nights on the bluff at the visitor center. Not much better than the sunrise view at the"Mittens" overlook.

Gouldings is about the only other option, if you wast hookups. If you stay there you should do a little hike up to the natural bridge just above the GC. Keep an eye out for rattle snakes.

Unless they have done a lot of road work I would not try to drive any type of RV through the valley. The paid tours are well worth the price if you have a good guide (some are not too personable). You see places you can't access, otherwise.