cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alternator amps?

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
1997 E350 6.8 . How can I tell what is the rated amps for this alternator? There are no visible tags or markings. A place I read says all 6.8 have 130 amp, another says could be 110 or 130. Nothing in my Ford book says.
15 REPLIES 15

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
tarnold wrote:
1997 E350 6.8 . How can I tell what is the rated amps for this alternator? There are no visible tags or markings. A place I read says all 6.8 have 130 amp, another says could be 110 or 130. Nothing in my Ford book says.

Why not ask the people who designed and built your vehicle directly?

To do that, go to www.oemford.parts This is a Ford factory parts site. Input your vehicle information, then go thru the catalogue and look it up. Not only will you get a drawing of the available alternator(s), an exploded drawing of the alternator(s), the factory part number, the amp rating and a bunch of other useful information. You may even choose to buy the alternator they sell (the OEM unit) but you don't have to.

Chum lee (formerly worked in a Ford OEM Parts Department)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The markings are not normally on the housing as the housing maybe for more then one amp rating. I found it marked on the field which varies based on amperage.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The amp rating is stamped somewhere on the housing, often on the mounting tab but it is stamped on there. also a photo of the anternator may be of use to some folks (Alas not me) as the larger alternator is often,,, Larger, have a ruler in the photo as well.

Finally difference between 110 and 130 is basically, not worth mentioning, (less than 20%) that is tolerance on many electronic components.

Option two. "Alternators R US" (ok not a real store)

Many cities have "Starter and alternator" shops.. I used to shop one on Grand River in Redford. MI (Detroit suburb) and their trechnicians can likely take a look at it for you and advise.

I had a car that ate starter Drive gears like they were candy.. I got so I could re-build that blasted starter in under 15 minutes on the side of the road or in a parking lot.. ((only 4 bolts) They taught me how. They also re-did the alternator on one vehicle I had a few times. that blasted ride liked to pop diodes.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
Richard
thank you
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Note: White case regulators are for use with digital dashboards.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
my 97 ford 460 alternator
looks like the large case picture
can not see the front
it has (2) dark? and (1) wht wires, on a blue connector
plugged into what i think is the VR on the back of the case, the VR says motorcraft and is looks to be black, i can't make out any numbers

It's a 130. All F53 460 chassis came with 130 amp alt.Or the previous owner could have installed the wrong alt.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

MrWizard
my 97 ford 460 alternator
looks like the large case picture
can not see the front
it has (2) dark? and (1) wht wires, on a blue connector
plugged into what i think is the VR on the back of the case, the VR says motorcraft and is looks to be black, i can't make out any numbers
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
OP you have the 130 amp large case

BFL: You cannot see it from the outside but the stator insulation color of the highest amp (75) is yellow. Unless it has been changed and a "remanufactured" alternator has found it's way there, of course.

OP can you use an extendo-mirror and a flashlight and peer behind the case. Is the voltage regulator plastic case black, gray, or white?

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can hardly see the alternator in my MH, never mind count holes or what colour the wires in it are. I can just make out it is a 2G from what is visible. I guess you need to practically remove the engine to change the alternator, no idea. ๐Ÿ˜ž
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Op here. 2 holes in the "Y". Reddish hue on the windings. So 130?.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I'm lazy. When I see purple wires it means the alternator is 130 amperes ๐Ÿ™‚ Automatically, the large case. But your way works too BFL13. But it does not zero in on the amperage of the large frame. Green wires is a lesser amperage unit.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Copied from previous post link:
3Gs come in two sizes: A a 7-inch โ€œsmall caseโ€ and an 8.25-inch โ€œlarge case.โ€ Both can be found in 95- and 130-amp versions. The 95-amp model is easily identifiable by three sets of four round cooling holes in the caseโ€™s ribs that make a โ€œYโ€ behind the pulley. A 130-amp high-output version uses three sets of two big cooling holes in the โ€œY.โ€

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scroll down to photo of 130a 3G where it explains about the number of holes in the Y compared with the 95a 3G

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/electrical/1612-ford-alternator-upgrade-for-more-battery-charging-...
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Get a flashlight.

Look down at the alternator

And through the ventilation holes

What color insulation is on the wires?