cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long bed TC on short bed truck

HioSSilver
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone did this? Any issues or any thing to watch out for?
15 REPLIES 15

HioSSilver
Explorer
Explorer
I guess i was a bit vague. But i wasn't thinking about putting a 10 or 11ft tc in a short bed truck either. Just trying to help my b-n-law find a camper. He likes my 845 but i kinda think a similar camper w/o the rear bumper would be better overall and easier to find.

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
Details, details: Truck____________? Camper____________?
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
I would not do it. The geometry of your truck will never be right.

But wait a minute, there are 8-foot pop-ups that you could carry just fine with a shortbed half ton.
Until we have more info we canโ€™t really say whether itโ€™s good or bad.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not do it. The geometry of your truck will never be right.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
A โ€œlong bed TCโ€ is way too vague a term for a direct yes or no, there are way too many sizes and types of โ€œlong bed TCsโ€.
Generally speaking an 8-foot truck camper should be fine.
Somewhere in the 9-footer area it would get real iffy and beyond that is a bad idea because itโ€™s too much behind the rear axle.

Tanks hanging below the rear overhang likely would not be an issue if you had your tailgate down, the total length of a shortbed with the gate down is similar to the floor of a longbed.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I never thought about this applying to a truck camper scenario, but yes it does. .... here goes .... food for thought:

โ€œYou really need to think in terms of what is the ultimate extreme usage you'll be experiencing with your truck, not what is the lightest usage and hope it's OK when the extreme happens."

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would not risk damaging a $1500 tailgate, or pulling the support cables out of the bed of the truck by hauling the TC with the Tailgate down. Going over one speed bump too fast could get expensive.

Does the OP's truck have a diesel, or is it a gasser? This can effect the weight distribution.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
If you want ideas on if it can be done and what it looks like...visit this thread on this forum....

TC Fails Pic Dump
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget guys (and gals) that if the unit has a rear bumper and rear tanks (like say a Lance), using the tailgate for added support is out. The only way that works (tailgate down) is with a flat bottom unit.

...and, considering how flimsy tailgates are on new trucks, I don't consider them all that trustworthy.

Anything can be done but done safely is another subject.

I can put 50 pounds of potatoes in a lunch bag too, but that don't mean the bag won'r rip.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Scale your rig and see what the front axle is after. You could unload with that much weight hanging off the back.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
How long are you talking? If it is an 8 ft, it would obviously be better than a 11 1/2.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I did it with 12' camper, but the shortbed was a flatbed who was actually 7' long.
With strong tailgate and camper no longer than 10' I would not see structural issues.
COG might be another story and after driving on scales with the combo, I start shopping for dually next week.

bedrocker
Explorer
Explorer
used one with the tail gate down for years no ill effects

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Couple very important things.

One the tie down points (where the TC anchors are in relationship to the truck mount points will be askew and you won't be able to secure the camper properly..

Two, your horizontal center of gravity will be too far rearward, putting an excessive amount of load on the rear axle and most likely causing very adverse handling

Three, the camper itself might not be structurally rigid enough to take the strain of half of it hanging out the back, unsupported.

I'd advise against even considering it. It's not safe to do. Why campers are built for specific bed lengths in the first place.

It is possible to put a short bed TC in a long bed truck (Northstar offers their pop up line as such), but not the other way around.
2015 Backpack SS1500