cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Excessive Tire Wear

Rinehart
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Jayco Octaine Toy Hauler (two axle). I often haul a 960 Lb motorcycle in the back, usually for a few thousand miles a year. A week ago we traveled from Columbus, Ohio to Islamorada in the Florida Keys. Upon our return we made it as far as Lynchburg VA before I found that a rear tire had blown. Upon close inspection both tires on the rear axle had excessive (visible chord) on the inside of the tire while good tread remained on the rest of the tire. It was as though the axle had bowed out, maybe because of the weight of the heavy bike? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Should this be expected or do I have a big problem? Thanks for any input. Larry Rinehart
Larry and Phyllis
2015 Jayco Octane ToyHauler
2003 GMC 1500HD Crew Cab
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
17 REPLIES 17

jbeliera
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1998 Terry 24' pull trailer It had reasonably new tires before my trip to Midwest from Idaho. I put 3,000 miles on it and noticed when I got back to Idaho I had uneven tire wear down to the chords on my back axle tires. I checked my service guy and he said have the axle alignment checked sure enough they were out of alignment. $!25.00 to line up every thing back up. No more problems Trailers often times due to rough roads and loads onboard will over a period of time move axles ever so slightly just enough to cause un-even tire wear and the axles from cargo weight and rough roads will shift alignment
John and Judie Beliera
2008 Laredo 29RL, Fiver (Mustang Sally)
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2015 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 liter

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got it fixed. I had a similar problem and my axles were out of alignment and my springs were too short causing binding. Truck shop completed my repairs and the trailer is in great shape now. Tows better and the tire wear seems to be gone. Changed out tires out to the new GoodYear which are rated at 82 MPH so we can go a little faster. Currently I only have 15" tires but changing out all six with new rims also is too expensive for the gain.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
I would hope 1000lbs is not "heavy" for your toyhauler.
I put a 2800lbs sand rail in mine.
And 2 full size quads so that is pushing 3700lbs.

Bent axle.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Rinehart
Explorer
Explorer
Just a follow up, I took the advice of this thread, found a good trailer shop in Reynoldsburg Ohio. Ended up with two new 5000lb axles, drop springs and heavier tires. The old axles were never heavy enough to carry the weight it was rated at. There were light marks on one axle where it had touched the angle iron that hold the fresh water tank. I was very fortunate to identify and fix the problem before disaster struck. Cost me a bit, but Iโ€™m Road ready now. I also bought a tire minder to monitor tire pressure and heat. No more unknown flats. Thanks again for the input.
Larry and Phyllis
2003 GMC 1500HD Crew Cab

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Rinehart wrote:
Thanks so much for the input. I know of a good trailer shop. I will make arrangements to get my TH there as soon as the weather breaks. Again, thanks to all for taking the time to help. Larry Rinehart

Dont know of any RV dealer who can/will do it. Check for a commercial truck/trailer service center and give then a call. Usually around a hindred dollars an axle to make right.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
Axle out of alignment. Common on all trailers. Throw them together and collect the money. Not a bent axle, only makes sense if both tires are wearing the same axle is out of alignment. My bass boat trailer has has 4 new axles under it and will get another till they get it right.

Not out of alignment if both rear tires are only wearing on the inside edges enough to show cord, that's a bent axle.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Rinehart wrote:
I have a 2015 Jayco Octaine Toy Hauler (two axle). I often haul a 960 Lb motorcycle in the back, usually for a few thousand miles a year. A week ago we traveled from Columbus, Ohio to Islamorada in the Florida Keys. Upon our return we made it as far as Lynchburg VA before I found that a rear tire had blown. Upon close inspection both tires on the rear axle had excessive (visible chord) on the inside of the tire while good tread remained on the rest of the tire. It was as though the axle had bowed out, maybe because of the weight of the heavy bike? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Should this be expected or do I have a big problem? Thanks for any input. Larry Rinehart

If I was to make a guess I'd say your rear axle is bent and causing the excessive wear. Some places can bend them back into alignment but in my opinion unless you still have a warranty I'd just purchase another axle as they aren't that expensive.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Rinehart
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the input. I know of a good trailer shop. I will make arrangements to get my TH there as soon as the weather breaks. Again, thanks to all for taking the time to help. Larry Rinehart
Larry and Phyllis
2003 GMC 1500HD Crew Cab

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Axle out of alignment. Common on all trailers. Throw them together and collect the money. Not a bent axle, only makes sense if both tires are wearing the same axle is out of alignment. My bass boat trailer has has 4 new axles under it and will get another till they get it right.
Dennis Hoppert

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
There are exactly two reasons for what you describe. Excessive rear axle loading due to towing unlevel, or bent axle. My bet is on bent axle.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Axle Alignment
Over loaded

To find out which....

Weigh trailer. Check weighed axle vs axle ratings/tire ratings

Check axle alignment----Easy DIY method
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jbeliera
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1998 Terry 24' pull trailer. I made a trip to Oklahoma from Idaho and almost wore out on the inside edge of all my tires.The steel chords were showing. I was advised that my axle was out of alignment. Had them realigned and it cured the problem
John and Judie Beliera
2008 Laredo 29RL, Fiver (Mustang Sally)
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2015 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 liter

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I've had two blow outs on great tires the PSI is always inflated to Max. I just think it's from sitting and not turning it wears the tires as well. And I wasn't over loaded either!
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your axle is probably bent.