cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What model year did the 12CF four door fridge show up?

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in early stages of shopping for a Class C. Our top choice is the Forrester 3011DS. We don't want to take the depreciation hit of new, so we'd like to buy something used and around 40-60k.

The 4 door fridge is a huge plus for us, as we cook every meal. I can't seem to figure what year they became an option? From what I see its been only the last year or two? Anyone know?

I suppose a second option might be get one with the smaller fridge and gut out the pantry to go residential? Maybe? We do go without utilities often. Maybe not wise?

Thanks for any insight.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
7 REPLIES 7

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Got busy and didn't get to reply here. Thanks for all of the input.

We travel on 2 month trips in the summer, often boondocking where grocery shopping isn't convenient for a week at a time. We know that the larger fridge is necessary.

Being harder to keep cool is a point I hadn't thought of. Hopefully, in retirement we will be able to stay in moderate weather most of the time.

Regarding pantry space, I felt like the unit we are looking at (3011ds) has enough storage that we will be okay. Especially when we become empty nesters.

We've been shopping some more and believe my original question may be irrelevant now, as we will probably buy at least a 2016 to get the 6 speed tranny and higher tow rating.

Thanks again. Tony.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
DrewE wrote:

I've heard anecdotally that the larger RV absorption fridges tend to have a harder time keeping cold than the smaller ones--it seems the cooling units aren't always enlarged equally with the storage space. I don't know if that's actual fact or merely my impressions.

Our new RV has an optional 10 cu/ft fridge rather than the standard 8 (7.5 really). It has the exact same cooling unit as an 8 cu/ft.
So it absolutely will have to work harder in hot weather. I fear that when conditions are marginal, it may not keep things cool.
At least Arctic Fox was kind enough to include the automatic cooling fans.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
One of DW's requirements in an RV is a Pantry. Our first one had a slide-out pantry where the shelves pulled out into the hallway. That was really more OK than it might sound. Our current one has more of a shallow "closet" behind tall cabinet doors like a wardrobe.

Point is, I was just looking at some new Class C's where the big fridge deletes the slide-out pantry that sits beside a two-door fridge. We would not want to give up the pantry to get more fridge space.

There IS an alternative. It's a residential "Apartment" fridge that fits where the typical "8-foot" fridge would be, an that would leave space for the slide-out pantry. The "8-foot" is taller than the smaller two-door "6-foot" but the interesting is that the "6" is a little more than 6, and the "8" is a little less than 8. The residential "Apartment" is around 10. This compares very favorably with the RV "12."
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Re-read my post pls.

And since it is a known problem, and there are alternatives, why would you chose the fridge of death??
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
janstey58 wrote:
If this is the Dometic 1200 four door fridge, RUN as this is the fridge of DEATH. It is known to catch on fire when the cooling system comes apart.

:H

Dometic doesn't make the 1200

Norcold makes a 1200/1210

And fridge fires are 'extremely exaggerated'----Dometic Or Norcold Brand

There are MORE MHs burnt to ground due to engine/oil or brake fires then any fridge fires. Electrical fires top fridge fires

Sky is falling........:S
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
If this is the Norcold 1200 four door fridge, RUN as this is the fridge of DEATH. It is known to catch on fire when the cooling system comes apart without notice. Check on the recall on this unit and the CHEAPO fix they offer. At least they are sending me $$$ from the class action suit for the next three years, yahoo!!
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
How long do you go between shopping stops? How many are you cooking for?

With two people on a ten-week trip this past year, cooking/preparing all our own food except for maybe two meals per week on average, I had no trouble with running out of room in a two-door fridge. We did go grocery shopping once or maybe twice per week when it was convenient, and of course did not store excess stuff in the fridge or freezer that didn't require refrigeration--for instance, only a couple cans of soda rather than the whole twelve can case.

I've heard anecdotally that the larger RV absorption fridges tend to have a harder time keeping cold than the smaller ones--it seems the cooling units aren't always enlarged equally with the storage space. I don't know if that's actual fact or merely my impressions.

Residential fridges can be used when dry camping if one has sufficient battery bank capacity and some way of charging that. I'd think probably four batteries would be about the practical minimum, and some combination of a fair bit of solar power (and hopefully campsites and locations that make it useful), a generator and decent converter to run a couple/few hours a day, or a reasonable charging circuit from the vehicle alternator if one is moving along most days. Others probably have more precise suggestions in this regard. But, if set up properly, it can be a practical way to go.