Explorer
Explorer
In Zion & Bryce National Parks
Proud father of a US Marine
5 REPLIES 5

ADUS
Explorer
Explorer
With a jeep, southern Utah is limitless on things to experience.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not understand the concept at all. I have been traveling around the West since 1969 and never felt like I have missed anything. All National Parks have a Visitor Center with some good maps and information. Sometimes the best places are the ones no one pays any attention to.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Both parks can be easy seen in a day for an overview and just to get your bearings. Then choose some trails geared to your abilities and do some hikes. That's the way you really experience the national parks - not from the road. I think we walked every trail in Bryce below the Rim. It's like a fairyland down there. (I know a horse tour wouldn't cover all of these. They are only allowed in a certain area.)
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Zion:

Canyon Overlook Trail: Parking is very limited but the view is astonishing and relatively easy trail. This is a great alternative if you can't make the much harder climb to Angels Landing.

Emerald Pool: Great if there when it's hot so you can cool off in the water though prettier in the spring with more water. If you are in good shape, you can do the trail in about 15 minutes each way by running though recommend a couple of hours to really enjoy it.

Bike It: If you have bicycles, catch the shuttle to the Narrows and then coast most of the way back to the campground. The incline is gentle so don't have to worry about your brakes and gives the opportunity to stop at all the pull overs the shuttles don't stop at. The shuttle drivers watch out very well for hikers and bikers so no concerns there. Only one short steep up hill coming back down which we walked our bikes back up and then after you cross the main highway the path along the water is flat. Did this with my two kids in 2005. I sent my 14 and 12 year old daughter on the first shuttle and then I went on the next shuttle. Driver was very helpful loading/unloading their bikes and even went a bit slower than normal to reduce the time between his departure and my arrival.

Bryce

Horses: Only thing I can suggest is take a horseback ride down into the canyon. Take the longer 3 hour ride otherwise you don't get much time down in the canyon. You will probably see a lot more than if you walk down.

Cave: Drive around to the north side of Bryce and take the leisure stroll up to Mossy Cave.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
In Zion & Bryce National Parks

ZION

#1 Angles Landing

#2 Narrows

#3 Zion Tunnel

#4 Zion Canyon alone at night

If you enjoy these, all the rest is just Icing on the Cake.

JMHO,

Bryce

#1 Vista in the snow

#2 Any of the Lone Pines as you walk among the Hoo Doo's

#3 Just the Air and the Sky - Oh How Lucky we are.

Best of luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach