cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

air in toilet

traindriver1
Explorer
Explorer
When you step on the pedal to dump the toilet, I get a bubble as the slide valve is opening and it acts like the tank is pressurized. I am wondering if the vent might be plugged? Anyone else ever have this problem?
11 REPLIES 11

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
good that is was not a repair that had to be done. to help with the poop pyramid, don't flush when you just go pee. let the bowl fill and then flush, that extra liquid will help splash h and push things around int he tank while saving a bit of water too! we all already know i am sure, just a friendly reminder. Good Luck & be Safe ! ! !

traindriver1
Explorer
Explorer
Well it turned out to be the ole paper pyramid.I checked out the vents and they were ok, no slippage and open. Next ran a snake down the toilet and it broke loose. I have a sprayer in the tank, so I didn't think I would have that problem, but I did, so will watch it closer from now on. Thanks for everyone's help.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
edatlanta wrote:
I have read many times over the years ago a vent pipe dropping down into the black tank. This leads me to think that the vent pipe just fits through a hole in the top of the tank and can slide up or down if it comes loose at the roof line. I find it hard to believe that this pipe would be that loose and not sealed at the tank. This couldn't possibly pass any type of public health laws or whatever laws apply to holding tank sealing. What am I missing here?

I'm thinking the OP has a poop pyramid which is causing his issues.

What's "supposed to be" and what "is", are very often 2 different things, especially in the RV world. :M

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
I have read many times over the years ago a vent pipe dropping down into the black tank. This leads me to think that the vent pipe just fits through a hole in the top of the tank and can slide up or down if it comes loose at the roof line. I find it hard to believe that this pipe would be that loose and not sealed at the tank. This couldn't possibly pass any type of public health laws or whatever laws apply to holding tank sealing. What am I missing here?

Gee, it's an RV and don't have to pass anything code. You should know that.

Actually...depends on 'method' used to install that vent pipe
Some cut a hole, install a glue flange then glue the vent pipe
Some cut a hole then use a 'grommet and slip pipe into the grommet

Grommets are common method.....fast easy for production
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:

Gee, it's an RV and don't have to pass anything code. You should know that.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
you can check the vent pipe, but if it has slipped, you will need to expose the top of the tank and make sure you re-seal it. Other than that, I agree, a blocked vent pipe, pyramid, or some other obstruction restricting the venting process. Good Luck & be Safe ! ! !

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
traindriver1 wrote:
I am wondering where the air is coming from.

Last night, I thought I had a clogged down tube, as the toilet wasn't dumping. Went out and pulled the dump valve and got a good dump, But I know the tank wasn't close to full at the time.

where is the air coming from to make it burp?... it isnt, its just the air taking up the empty space in the tank needs to be removed before anything else can fit in, so the contents of the bowl and the air in the tank are passing one another.. its called "displacement".

normally, the displaced air would be pushed out the vent tube when the toile is dumping into the tank, but if the vent tube is blocked for some reason, the air cant pass out thru it, so it comes out the only hole thats open....

in addition, if the vent tube cant "breathe" properly, it can prevent the tank from dumping as it should, and a slow, sluggish dump can leave stuff behind in the tank.. unless you hold the toilet shutter open so it can let air in as the effluent rushes out thru the tank valve..
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Vent pipe has slipped down into tank and is getting blocked with very little 'stuff' in tank.
Blocked vent...toilet burps

If vent line has not slipped down then it is blocked due to birds nesting etc

Either way you need to go up on roof.remove black tank vent cap and check:
Is top of vent line even/close to same level as roof
NO...has slipped down .need to pull it back up and secure it (couple screws thru pipe into wood
YES.then need to clean blockage---run garden hose down vent blasting away with strong water pressure (black dump valve OPEN)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

traindriver1
Explorer
Explorer
It does it even right after I dump it. I am wondering where the air is coming from. Last night, I thought I had a clogged down tube, as the toilet wasn't dumping. Went out and pulled the dump valve and got a good dump, But I know the tank wasn't close to full at the time.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Mine will do that when the tank is really full.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE