cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

uninsured moterist rant

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
DD's car was creamed by an uninsured driver. Good news she was not hurt.
Bad news, other driver had no insurance. So end of the day, will end up costing the DD about 500 bucks. Thing is she is a single MOM works hard.

In my opinion I see very little difference between this an a robbery, on the part of the uninsured driver. That driver will never pay a dime, and just skate

Yep, I know all about small claims court, and also letting the INS co trying to collect. Other two DD's are attorneys. Thing is you can take them to small claims win, but the court will not enforce the judgment. So in real terms it is meaningless

End of the day this is not an end of the world thing, and putting in prospective is a very small deal But still kind of PO's me
95 REPLIES 95

soren
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Tom N wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
In this state, no insurance = no registration sticker.

in 2017 PA eliminated the no insurance/no sticker solution by permanently eliminating yearly license plate stickers.

so how does it work in PA? surely (don't call me shirley) they don't issue new metal plates every year.
bumpy

No Shirley, they don't issue new plates every year. ๐Ÿ™‚
Pennsylvania police departments are going to License Plate Readers.
You can renew your vehicle registration online and print out the new registration card.
No one will know if you renewed your registration unless it is scanned by a reader.

Don't know if I missed it, in later pages, but it's a bit more complicated than that. You need to keep the inspection and emission stickers current in PA. They are large, visible from a distance, and relatively theft proof, since they are located on the inside of the windshield, and don't come off in one reusable piece. These stickers can only be renewed once you present the licensed inspection mechanic with proof of current insurance and valid registration. There are ways to game the system, but it's pretty rare that the inspectors are willing to play games, since inspections are directly controlled by the state police, and they have little tolerance for cheating. So, it might be easy to game the insurance coverage, but once you have an expired inspection, it would be tough to get a new one without a valid registration.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
MN also has a law requiring you to pay for Uninsured / Underisured insurance. It only cost me about 20 bucks a year to have that on my vehicles.

I have a fiend who is a woman that was driving her boyfriends truck. They were young and to keep expenses low the truck was in his dads name and his dad had the insurance on it. A few days before she was driving the boyfriend had gotten into a argument with his dad and without his knowledge his dad had dropped the insurance. She got pulled over and got a ticket for driving without insurance. On her boyfriends truck, that he didn't know was uninsured. The reason I tell this story is just to let you all know that sometimes things can go wrong beyond your control.

UM for my motorcycle is more than half the premium cost.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
OP here: update, as it turns out, her INS will cover her deductible, under UIM.
I will say though, I found some of the responses to this post quite interesting.
Some folks certainly have a different world view than me

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
. And the driver of the car, drove after the accident, with a ticket from NC Highway Patrol. I was shocked they let him drive off with no license.

I'll go you one better, in PA they stopped a guy for impaired driving, gave him a ticket, and let him drive off.
bumpy :s

Like any other business, you want repeat customers.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
. And the driver of the car, drove after the accident, with a ticket from NC Highway Patrol. I was shocked they let him drive off with no license.

I'll go you one better, in PA they stopped a guy for impaired driving, gave him a ticket, and let him drive off.
bumpy :s

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
what is so bad both for the OP's DD and so many of the rest of us, the driver who was breaking all the laws won't suffer for their criminal acts. The true victims will suffer, whether it is $500 or more or less.

I was hit by an driver with a suspended license driving someone else's car. My insurance told me I can deal directly with the other insurance myself, or file with them and they would pay my costs less my deductible. If they got the other company to pay enough to refund my deductible they would. I spent many hours when I should have been working, getting estimates and dealing with insurance companies. And the driver of the car, drove after the accident, with a ticket from NC Highway Patrol. I was shocked they let him drive off with no license.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
mich800 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
MN also has a law requiring you to pay for Uninsured / Underisured insurance. It only cost me about 20 bucks a year to have that on my vehicles.

But think about that rationally. The state requires insurance to drive on a public roadway. AND they require additional insurance to protect for those that violate the first rule.

does the state "require" you to have uninsured motorist insurance?
bumpy
Missouri requires you to have uninsured/underinsured car insurance.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
mich800 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:

But think about that rationally. The state requires insurance to drive on a public roadway. AND they require additional insurance to protect for those that violate the first rule.

bumpy

In Michigan I don't know. I was referring to the MN comment. I do know in my zip code even the minimum liability coverage is very expensive. Especially with a couple kids driving. I don't know how some in Detroit pay for insurance. The minimum insurance alone is a car payment.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:

bumpy

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

CavemanCharlie wrote:
The reason I tell this story is just to let you all know that sometimes things can go wrong beyond your control.

Actually completely within their control. Pay for your own insurance.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:

I have a fiend who is a woman that was driving her boyfriends truck.

I bet she wasn't all that bad. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

:B I flunked spelling in high school. And, sometimes one word is close enough spelled like another that spell check misses it.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

I have a fiend who is a woman that was driving her boyfriends truck.

I bet she wasn't all that bad. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

I have a fiend who is a woman that was driving her boyfriends truck. They were young and to keep expenses low the truck was in his dads name and his dad had the insurance on it. A few days before she was driving the boyfriend had gotten into a argument with his dad and without his knowledge his dad had dropped the insurance. She got pulled over and got a ticket for driving without insurance. On her boyfriends truck, that he didn't know was uninsured. The reason I tell this story is just to let you all know that sometimes things can go wrong beyond your control.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
Yup, it is a problem, and doesn't seem to be getting any better. My son was hit by a driver who actually had insurance, but was the cheapest, fly-by-night insurance available, that refused to admit fault (even though the police report was crystal clear), and used every trick in the book to delay paying anything. We had to pay the deductible ($500) and let our insurance fight the good fight. Took more than 2 years, but eventually we were reimbursed. More often than not, that never happens.

Hard times? B--ls--t. Part of the cost of owning/driving a vehicle is the cost of insurance, no different than the car payment or the price of gas. If you can't afford at least the minimum insurance, then you can't afford the car. Period. That's life, bucko; suck it up.

For every "hard times" story, there are 10 stories of those same people taking advantage of the system and costing the rest of us our hard earned money. Sorry, I have exactly 0 sympathy for them. I just got finished buying new license plates for my motorhome; they "walked off" during the night; the plate AND the newly installed renewal sticker.:M

In our state of MI our plate would be 1300 a year. I just pay for two months at a time when using the MH. Saves 600 a year and I have the temporary inside taped to the rear window in bedroom.