cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can you fill a water tank at Pilot/FJ or anywhere else?

justinhscott
Explorer
Explorer
We're travelling south in February, and our camper is currently winterized. I'd like to de-winterize on the way. Will I be able to fill my fresh water tank anywhere?
13 REPLIES 13

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
I follow Ford truck guyโ€™s plan. At a private RV park you can flush and sanitize really well in your site...cocktail in hand.

This is what we try and do. As long as we get above freezing weather when we stop.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
I have sometimes stopped at a state or county park, explained that I was going to be boondocking without utilities, and asked if I could drive through the island just to fill the tank. Never been denied.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Stop for a night at Carolina Crossroads. They have a row of sites specifically for overnighters to do exactly what you need to do. There's also a Walmart 1 exit north to stock up.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW: Sanidumps.com is our go to when travelling for where we can water fill and dump and if there is a fee, free or otherwise it's detailed. State Parks (usually a fee), County Parks, local city/town parks, and most gas stations (generally free to fill and often dump) are our usual places we use. We only stay in a CG rarely and when we do then do major flushes, cleaning and onboard laundry.

Most of the gas stations we have filled at have also generously allowed us a courtesy fill, and "if" they have a dump to also dump.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:

Dirty hydrants are a great way to get sick.

And to carry that a bit farther:
When possible, I prefer to fill my tank at HOME or at a campground that has a municipal water supply, thus having a small amount of residual chlorine in it.

I don't trust places like gas stations.

Popular campgrounds should be OK too.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Little word to the wise... Carry a sprirz bottle of bleach and water and spritz the hydrant before filling. You never know who used it before you, where their hands have been or their fill hose was.

Dirty hydrants are a great way to get sick.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use their mobile app to search which locations have potable water...some do, some don't.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Most gas stations and businesses have an outside tap that you can ask to use. You might try your preferred local Lodge, church, mosque, boondockerswelcome.com resident too. Our big concern is quality so we carry an in line filter. Getting all the pink stuff out would be key, as mentioned.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Loves has a travel stop at exit 4 on interstate 95 in Va. (near va/nc state line)
They have fw and a dump station.
Just check local weather to know if its safe to use or still a freeze area.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I follow Ford truck guyโ€™s plan. At a private RV park you can flush and sanitize really well in your site...cocktail in hand.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Justin,

Your big issue will be identifying if the water tap along an RV lane at a P/FJ is potable water some are and some are not. Some are there only to be used for the wash-down after a bad dump job.

Most that are not potable will have a sigh that says so. If you are in doubt, ask the people inside. If it is a freeze-Proof self draining hydrant (big hook handle), you really have to ask. You may have to find a tap on the building side, but someone should know. Many sleepers have potable tanks too.

Most MH still have both and atmospheric fill (Open thing), and a way to fill from city water. The atmospheric is usually a faster fill than is the valve from the city water connection.

Good Luck

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I frequently fill my water tank at Flying J as well as dumping my tanks for a nominal fee. Also, some rest areas have dump stations and fresh water available, usually in the South and West.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Will you be staying at the Flying J overnight? Or will you stay at a campground for 1 night? We would generally try to stay at at least one campground so we can FLUSH all the pink stuff really well, and fill up if need be.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet