cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lance or Eagle Cap Truck Camper

Gone_fishing1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I have been gone for awhile. Bought a Class C and then went to a Class A. The extra space and storage was really nice but I really miss the versatility of my truck campers. I seriously looking at the double slide Lance or Eagle Cap truck campers. I would really appreciate some advice good or bad, from folks who have owned one of these.

Thanks,

Bob
2016 Itasca Sunstar toad 2006 Dakota.
10 REPLIES 10

yblaw
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Adventurer/Eagle Cap has been second choice twice when I was shopping for truck campers. Lance was further down the list. Shop all of them to get a list of what is important to you and then narrow them down by build quality and desired features. I chose an Arctic Fox the first time and now own a Host. Both were great campers but filled different wants.

I agree with Bedlam's assessment. I owned a Lance 1172, but sold it quickly because it did not have sufficient storage. We are on our second Host Mammoth; Host's build quality is superior. And, its basement storage tray and slideout mechanisms are by far the best in the industry. If you have checked out the current model Hosts, send me a PM if you want to discuss their bathroom layout or other features.....

Wikel
Explorer
Explorer
Another source for input could be to join lance, ec and host fb groups. I've been surprised at some of the things shared on the EC group related to quality. Not every unit but what I saw was a bit worrying.

Hodag1
Explorer
Explorer
At truck camper rallys Lance owners(with campers less than 5 years old) seem to have many more camper problems than Eagle Cap owners.

Bedlam
Adventurer/Eagle Cap has been second choice twice when I was shopping for truck campers. Lance was further down the list. Shop all of them to get a list of what is important to you and then narrow them down by build quality and desired features. I chose an Arctic Fox the first time and now own a Host. Both were great campers but filled different wants.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gone fishing wrote:
I looked at the Host and did not care for the bathroom configuration.

The Host bathrooms have changed in the past few years and model differences. You probably could find one you liked.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Than again, brand is mean less and you have to compare actuall models.
My Lance 1161 had nice finishes, but poor engineering and small things that drove me crazy.
Raised toilet was good, but shower pan/curtain was about 1" smaller than on my Fleetwood with the same bathroom design.
Some might say 1" is not big difference on scale, but heck of a difference in real life.
When I could take comfortable shower in Fleetwood, turning around in Lance shower was horror as the curtain was laying on my back.
Same with high steps to Lance dinette.
I see they made basement on 1172 model, so less steps to dinette, but than you have higher camper to deal with.
It all comes to a compromise that works the best for you.

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Gone Fishing. Both Campers are set up nicely if you are talking about the two or more slide models. Obviously, by looking at my sig I do like the Lance, but in all honesty the EC has it as far as inside storage. Both have excellent insulation, and are quite comfy when parked. Neither has a good answer as far as access on the road without moving slides, but that is a minor problem considering the comfort and roominess when camping.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

Gone_fishing1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I am concerned about the new owners of Lance and maintaining quality. I looked at the Host and did not care for the bathroom configuration. One of the reasons I sold my first truck camper was the bathroom was too small. Not in any hurry right now so will continue to look. Thanks again.
2016 Itasca Sunstar toad 2006 Dakota.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I used 2 campers in last year and I would advise you to not look at the brand, but actually walk/seat (on the throne) in each you might consider.
Not going to be easy as TC are not very popular, but considering time of the year, you don't need to rush.
My experience comparing rear entrance/basement camper to side entrance Lance.
Side entrance is nice, but the steps are lousy and my dogs don't like them.
Side entrance is eating 1 wardrobe.
Basement storage is nice, but camper goes above 13' high, so extra wind resistance and reading the bridges elevation should become habit.
I was checking double slides and the extra floor space did not justify loosing the wardrobes.
Than again - lot of different designs. If you camp with bigger party than 2, than rear sofa looks better and better. But you will need a trailer for carrying pajamas and extra food.
Good luck with your search.

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Bob,

No responses yet, so I will add my input. Not on the exact model you are looking for, but the two manufacturers in general.

We have had 2 Lances, a 2012 with a single slideout and a 2010 with none. Also we currently have a '13 Eagle Cap, again with a single slideout.

I would put the build quality about the same. I do know that EC had some slideout room quality problems on their larger slideouts back around 2012 or so (not ours- which is an 850).
Now with the Lance company being acquired by a large corporation the future build quality is ??

If I were thinking for a double slide, I would also give Host a look.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

John
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT