cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspension aid?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Had a Chevy 3500HD SRW pass me locally yesterday and saw something kinda odd on it's susp. Attached to the rear spring shackle and axle itself was a some kind of coil over shock (at least that what it looked like to me) and was mounted on top of factory spring. Is it some kind of sway or overload device? Didn't see anything attached to the axle forward.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
10 REPLIES 10

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Wow, did you guys read the ad hype about that thing in the link?
It’s entertaining, I don’t know if I’ve ever heard such miracle claims!

They work well. One of the better solutions for suspension enhancement.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks to me to be only an added shock absorber. I see no load carrying attributes in the design. I'm sure the cost exceeds the benefits by a wide margin.
Puma 30RKSS

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, did you guys read the ad hype about that thing in the link?
It’s entertaining, I don’t know if I’ve ever heard such miracle claims!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Heck, I've busted shock mounts just by hitting a pothole with no coil over spring before. "

My point exactly. It is the shock loads that are hard on things, not the steady loads. At least, steady loads within reason. One the other hand, on the typical half ton pickup that is only rated to carry around 1700lbs an extra few hundred pounds of lift would go a long way towards keeping the headlights pointed the right way with a full load in the back. I don't think that any sane person would ever suggest that you put the full weight of "a load a pickup truck will carry" on any supplementary springs. If you have busted shock mounts just by hitting a pothole you must either drive a lot rougher than anyone I know or the Michigan salt is sending your vehicles to an early grave.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Installing any coil over shock and expecting it to assume an overload condition is asking for trouble. Shock mounts, in general, are not beefy enough to carry weight. Shock mounts are built to carry a shock and absorb the shock stress, not carry a load all the time.

It's a cheap out way to increase load capacity while stressing something that isn't designed or built to carry a sustained load.

Sustained loads don't hurt anything. It is load variations over about 50% of yield strength that cause metal fatigue. The combination of shock absorber action and weight carrying may well increase the likelyhood of this happening. My personal experience with load carrying shocks is that I ran some on my 1970 Impala for about 170,000 miles with no ill effects but they were only carrying a couple of hundred pounds. That was enough to make a big difference on a sedan with a soft suspension. After market shocks that are much stiffer than the factory ones may well do more damage than steady lift from springs.

Your Imp and a pickup truck are 2 entirely different animals. The 1/2 through bolts isn't rated to carry a load a pickup truck will carry and not fail. Heck, I've busted shock mounts just by hitting a pothole with no coil over spring before.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Was it this?
https://activesuspension.com/

Am pretty sure that's what it looked like. Thanks.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
Installing any coil over shock and expecting it to assume an overload condition is asking for trouble. Shock mounts, in general, are not beefy enough to carry weight. Shock mounts are built to carry a shock and absorb the shock stress, not carry a load all the time.

It's a cheap out way to increase load capacity while stressing something that isn't designed or built to carry a sustained load.

Sustained loads don't hurt anything. It is load variations over about 50% of yield strength that cause metal fatigue. The combination of shock absorber action and weight carrying may well increase the likelyhood of this happening. My personal experience with load carrying shocks is that I ran some on my 1970 Impala for about 170,000 miles with no ill effects but they were only carrying a couple of hundred pounds. That was enough to make a big difference on a sedan with a soft suspension. After market shocks that are much stiffer than the factory ones may well do more damage than steady lift from springs.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Had a Chevy 3500HD SRW pass me locally yesterday and saw something kinda odd on it's susp. Attached to the rear spring shackle and axle itself was a some kind of coil over shock (at least that what it looked like to me) and was mounted on top of factory spring. Is it some kind of sway or overload device? Didn't see anything attached to the axle forward.

It is an axle wrap damper. Has nothing to do with load carrying. It helps dampen the axle wrap under a hard pull sort of like a traction bar.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB