cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a pop-up vs. a self-contained

Lorimack
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned 3 pop-up campers over the last 18 years. I'd like to upgrade to a 27' self-contained camper but I'd like more information about the differences in towing them. Any and all info is welcome.
Thank you,
Lori
28 REPLIES 28

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
After thread starter post, OP has not responded. Must have gotten answer they wanted, and left.

Jerry

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
ctilsie has a good point. We took a hard look at A-liners with dormer options. The set up took my DW less than 2 minutes. We also looked at Trail Manors.

Unfortunately by then we had settled on three criteria 1. A bed you could exit without crawling over your spouse. 2. A bath you could maneuver in. 3. Storage pantry and linen space.

Another factor was, by the time we added all the extras. The A-liner and Trail Manor would cost a much as the 25 ft. TT we were looking at.

As it turned out, our style of camping is camp-and-go. That is we may spend a week or so camping for a couple of days, exploring points on the way, before we reach out destination.

In the end convenience won out for our type of travels but I would give the A-liners a serious look.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
Why not look at an A-liner with a shower and bathroom, and get both?

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
PUPs and TT are like dogs. They are all similar in many ways but each has unique applications.

At Glacier National Park some of the campsites would not accommodate a TT but a PUP could me wiggled in. Of course some of the sites require the tent to be wiggled in.

With AC, heat and other amenities the biggest difference is set up and tear down which is off set my the ease of towing.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Probably need a dually.

Like!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Probably need a dually.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
The challenge backing up a PUP vs a TT is not a PUP vs TT issue. The reason PUPs are harder to back up is because their wheel base is shorter than the TT wheel base you may consider.

this is 100% correct. (assuming that "wheel base" is actually distance from wheels to hitch) trying to back up a short Uhaul type of trailer is much more difficult as the combo is quick to cramp whereas my longer boat/TT trailer is less quick to respond.
bumpy

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
The challenge backing up a PUP vs a TT is not a PUP vs TT issue. The reason PUPs are harder to back up is because their wheel base is shorter than the TT wheel base you may consider.
I disagree. Shorter "wheelbase" (actually, distance from hitch to trailer wheels) just makes turns happen quicker, which can be helpful if it's not just a straight back-in. The difference is only a matter of skill, and knowing which way to turn the wheel to affect the trailer in the manner desired.

What really makes a difference to me is the ability to see over a pup, which lets you know exactly where it's pointed, where it's headed, and what's around it. Can't see around the TT enough to tell if that rear corner is going to hit the tree or not. So, it requires a good spotter, or lots of getting in/out to check if it's a tight spot. Even backing straight, it's easier to tell with a pup.

So, I find pups much easier to back.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:

Yes, it is easier to back up a longer trailer but you are going to be challenged at times to just get into your site. You can put a PU anywhere. A longer trailer will not be as easy to get into tight spots.

Very true. Staging is vital when backing a long trailer. Many campground roads are narrow, with trees and other obstacles inconveniently close to the road. Where you start will often determine whether it is even possible to get where you want to be.

If you find that you are off course with a PUP, it's easy to wiggle around and correct for it. With a long TT, it's sometimes easier to just pull forward and start over.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, no looking over your shoulder to change lanes or back up. If you are an over the shoulder backer then you will need to acquire new mirror skills. The only trailer I had that swayed severely was a tent trailer. This might have been due to the single axle or tongue weight unloading when I filled the water tank. Dual axles on most TTs offer towing stability advantages and some minimal issues like tire scrub. Proper hitch set up will be more critical with the TT.

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
I loved my pop up, if you wanted your door to face the lake. just back in and manually turn it sideways.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a calculator that you can use to match your tow vehicle to a perspective TT. Click here.

Towing a PUP, you may not have been concerned with some of these terms. They will be very important in matching your tow vehicle with a TT.

Payload (AKA max occupant / cargo weight) is what your tow vehicle is rated to carry. It gets eaten up by weight of aftermarket accessories , people, pets, cargo (in or on the vehicle), the weight distribution hitch, and trailer tongue (AKA hitch) weight. There is a tire / loading sticker, on the drivers door post or drivers door itself, that has this information.

GVWR - Maximum weight on your tow vehicle. The TT will have a GVWR of it's own.

GCVWR - Maximum combined weight of tow vehicle and TT, together.

Max tow capacity - This is max weight the tow vehicle is rated to tow. It does not include passengers or cargo in the vehicle. As you add people and stuff to the tow vehicle this tow capacity goes down, pound for pound, as does the available payload.

You may also want to read the towing section of your owners manual. Some vehicles (some crossovers and SUV's) have restrictions on frontal area of the trailer and weight distribution hitches. You may also find the manufacturers recommendation for front axle weight restoration. Some recommend as little as fifty percent, some as much as one hundred percent.

When you hang the trailer tongue weight on rear of the tow vehicle, it adds weight to the rear axle and takes weight off from it's front axle. The weight distribution hitch uses leveraging to restore that lost weight.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Well the OP certainly has a lot of great answers, most of which we noticed when we switched.

Basically, you are trading flexibility for convenience, lots of convenience. That is why when I retired we bought a TT to tour the country.

However, I feel that there is a definite loss of the feel of camping when you "go RVing".

Folk praise the fact that you do not have set up and take down, no lugging tote boxes full of food and cloths, no staking out the awning, no packing wet, bugs, etc. etc.

All of this it true, but it is what makes camping camping.

Many folks are glad to be rid of these things and I admit, when I am touring and sightseeing, camping is just a place to park the RV.

Still, if you like the sounds of the night, the cold morning damp broken by warm sun, stirring coals to reheat the coffee; popping a cup in the microwave is certainly convenient but not quite the same.

I still have my tent and PUP, and they get precious little use but I am not giving them away anytime soon.

Be safe.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A pop-up trailer is easy to tow. They don't weigh much, have a low profile to the wind, and have good ground clearance. Many can go anywhere a truck can go pretty much. They fit in even the old campgrounds with small parking spaces. they take time to set-up and take down when traveling.

A 27 foot trailer is more comfortable, but does not fit well in most of the old campgrounds in NFs, and NPs. They are relatively heavy and resist the wind. They need sway control on the trailer hitch. They are harder to park and turn around. They use a lot of fuel to tow. With a diesel I could get around 17-18 mpg with a pop-up, but more like 11-12 or less with a trailer of that size.