cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slippery Ramp Door!

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
I currently own a 2018 Eclipse Attitude 28SAG. On my year model the axles came flipped from the factory and they eliminated the interior wheel well. This made my ramp very steep. They have coated my ramp with a texture they call "Rhino Liner", no way in hell this is the same rhino liner that's in my truck. It's textured but slippery, it's plastic like. So slippery my cousin slipped on the ramp and broke his tibula and fibula. I thought about grip tape but it will likely not stick since the ramp is a textured like plastic.

What have you done to your ramp door to add grip?

Thanks in advance,
JL
A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.
22 REPLIES 22

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
judelaurenzo25g wrote:
Dirtclods wrote:
I too have been on my keister a few times I now just don't load or unload when it's wet.
Sometimes we donโ€™t have a choice

2nd that!

I'm sure you could use some sort of texture coat like black lacquer splatter paint we used to use in the engine compartment back in the old racing days.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't think Line-X would be very good for a ramp door surface. I have it in my truck bed, and while it is great stuff, it's not anti-slip very much. Perhaps sprayed on, and sand or some other grit applied while wet might be an idea though.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
After reading everyones response I might sand down an area and put down some non skid paint to see how it adheres and how slippery it is when wet. No, I don't load when it's wet but sometime I get up early in the morning to load and I have drops from the morning dew fall on to the ramp from the overhang.

Eclipse claims they put down rhino liner on the ramp. I had my truck sprayed with Line-X and it doesn't seem to be slippery when wet. I'm going to stop by my local Line-X shop and talk to them.

Thanks again,
JL

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know what the stuff is but some of the newer toy haulers have a very abrasive/rough finish on the doors. Mine feels like it would work well, but it's "Slippery When Wet". I'm still looking to put something down that really grips.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
Durabak makes an excellent textured coating product. Adhesion might be an issue considering the current surface material.

https://www.durabakcompany.com/other-uses/
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe use a belt sander with some coarse belts and remove the coating down to the original wood then start over??

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
What do you think sandblasting would do? Think it might dull the surface a bit and not be so slippery?

It would blow through the covering into the inside of the door, not a good idea.
I think most paints and coatings a person could put on one is made to be slip resistant on a flat surface, not a sloped one.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 24" wide pc of alum treadplate on mine when loading and unloading. Its pretty thin and easy to handle and also helps to spread the footprint of my motorcycle out some instead of it all being at each tire. It can be slick also but I keep it inside where its dry for the most part. I think about all toy hauler ramps have about the same textured like surface, I just try and not get mine wet as I really don't think they are totally waterproof. If in patio mode I close them both when rain is coming.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Y-Guy
I'd swing by Sherwin-Willams and talk to the guys there. They sell pain with grit (sand) that would work but you'll need to prep the surface by sanding I would assume.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
What do you think sandblasting would do? Think it might dull the surface a bit and not be so slippery?

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
I too have been on my keister a few times I now just don't load or unload when it's wet.
Sometimes we donโ€™t have a choice

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
My deck is only slick when it's wet.

Mine is pretty much always slippery.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
My deck is only slick when it's wet.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE