cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

California Decision

jgrimes
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently in Southern Arizona. My original plan from here was to head to the Palm Springs area, then Fresno and on to nothern CA and then to the Oregon coast. With all of the fires and mudslides, I am wondering about the feasibility of this trip. Any thoughts?
17 REPLIES 17

Katman1100
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if you are still planning on heading that way but we just left palm springs and stayed at a wonderful campground called Catalina Spa & Rv Resort. Was less than $25/night with Passport America. Great facilities. I would also recommend the tram as mentioned early, but there wasn't much snow up there when we were there. Wish we could have stayed longer!
Have Fun

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Lakejumper wrote:

Bikendan, we have driven through the fire areas. The road between Calistoga and Santa Rosa (Mark West Springs) was devastated and part of Kenwood and Glen Ellen were affected (mostly adjoining neighborhoods). But all of the quaint towns, wineries (a few were impacted), shops, etc. were spared. In the Napa area it stayed mostly on the hills between Napa and Sonoma. In my opinion, there is no reason to avoid the area.

That's not the reason why.
As former residents of Napa and me a longtime resident of Sonoma County, it's the pain of seeing our once home region devastated and so many of our friends losing everything.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with SDbounder and Mikim...skip going through the Los Angeles area. Take Highway 210 in Redlands to I-215 North from I-10 in San Bernardino and take Highway 395 to Highway 58 west over the Tehachapi pass. You'll hit a few traffic lights in Hesperian area but it's a much easier drive than the other way. I just returned from a trip to the Palm Springs area last Thursday. I live off of Highway 101 in Santa Rosa (Northern California). Although, the fires were horrific and devastating for many, they won't affect your trip. Not to minimize the impact of the fires, but the hills are green with grass and your trip will be full of beauty! They've done a great job of clearing debris and there is only a small area that can be viewed closely from highway 101 in the north part of Santa Rosa. It will be a wonderful trip!

Bikendan, we have driven through the fire areas. The road between Calistoga and Santa Rosa (Mark West Springs) was devastated and part of Kenwood and Glen Ellen were affected (mostly adjoining neighborhoods). But all of the quaint towns, wineries (a few were impacted), shops, etc. were spared. In the Napa area it stayed mostly on the hills between Napa and Sonoma. In my opinion, there is no reason to avoid the area.
Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox

sdbounderdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is to take I-10 West from Palm Springs to I-215 North which joins up with I-15 North. At Hesperia shift over to Hwy 395 North to Kramer Junction. Then turn west on Hwy 58 over Tehachapi Pass to Bakersfield. Finally Hwy 99 North to Fresno. There is a Love's Truck Stop at top of Tehachapi Pass if you need fuel. We've used this route many times, mainly because its a good road and by passes all the Pasadena-LA traffic. Good Luck.

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
While in Palm Springs, you should take time to ride the Tram up the mountain. Pretty good views from up there, but take a coat, as the temps up there are considerably colder than the valley floor. Depending on just how far north you want to go before crossing over towards the coast, there are several routes you can take, just look at a map. I would avoid Highway 36, period. Highway 299 is fairly scenic and the road condition is pretty good for California. There are some up and down grades, just use your mountain driving skills. Watch for the eagles that perch just past Big Bar. Take your time and enjoy the trip. JH

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, 1320!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
mikim wrote:
From Palm Springs take the I-10 west to the 210 fwy in Redlands, Ca. Stay on the 210 all they way to the I-5 north to avoid downtown Los Angeles traffic.

Get to experience the Grape Vine! Its pretty dang impressive especially on the North accent/decent when you can see for miles.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Oh hellโ€™s suggestion of CA Hwy 20 is good. A beautiful drive through the CA Jackson State Forest from Willits.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
California has a very good traffic web site. I used it a lot last year when we did that basic route from Tucson to Seattle. We werenโ€™t in a hurry, took two months for the trip.

A couple times we had to change a days planned drive due to mud slides and fires on our way back.

Be flexible and enjoy a fantastic trip.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
A very small part of 1 percent of the state has been affected by floods, fires and slides. A call to Cal-Trans 800# will give you updates along the way and their website now will give you any long term closures.

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
From Palm Springs take the I-10 west to the 210 fwy in Redlands, Ca. Stay on the 210 all they way to the I-5 north to avoid downtown Los Angeles traffic.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I don't think you'll see any problems on that route.

me either ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

ohhell10339
Explorer
Explorer
With the route you describe, you won't be going near any of the affected areas. And the only thing that would stop you from driving would be the Hwy 101 closures near Santa Barbara, which are temporary anyway. You can still easily drive through the Napa/Santa Rosa fire areas on 101.

The only thing you have to decide is at what point you're going to swing over to the coast. I recommend taking Hwy 20 to Fort Bragg and then continuing north to the Oregon coast. If you take 299, that's a long, windy road, and if you wait until you get to Grants Pass (the next feasible opportunity), then you're doubling back south to get to Brookings via 199.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I believe Hwy 1 north of Cambria is still closed to thru traffic due to a massive mudslide last year. That's the scenic route along the coast to Monterey area.